RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Do You Remember My Lullaby

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
[Thanks for your time in advance guys!]

Click Me: Sample from its Original Soundtrack - listen while reading thread if ya want.  :)

Download: Click me. (<15mb)
[*Note: Please do NOT delete the game folder after you finish, and check back to the thread a few days later.]

Lullaby is a short simple story that takes time during the holiday seasons. No tension, nothing epic, and barely any dialogues - It is a short story told through a complete cut-scene in the form of a semi-music video with its original soundtrack (hence please play with sound on only). The short story itself is non-interactive, and took about 10 times the effort of The Mirror Lied to make. It does perhaps start off a bit slow though, so my apologies, and please hang on.

Due to the shortness and nature of the project, I find it unfit to summarize the story and the like, as you can basically do it in one line and take the whole story away. So if you got a moment to spare, give it a try for what its size and length is worth - but after you finish, do not delete your game folder and check back a few days later.

Oh, just a note on the scene selector,

Each scene will only become selectable once you've played through the respective scene once in normal sequence, so they won't work the first time you open it.

Anyhow, that's that.

Thank you very much for your time in advance, and hope you guys are having a fun holiday season!   :)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 06:13:29 AM by Reives »

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Piqued my interest instantly. Downloading ;)
EDIT: Brilliant, well done. (There's a spelling mistake though, "welcomed" should've been "welcome")
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:22:01 AM by Leventhan »
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Dammit, I'm at a computer with no sound. I'm going to play this the instant that I find a computer with sound.

Reives, you may need to stop making games. You're so great that you're making the rest of us look like beginners. ._.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
hehe Zylos, it just means there's something to strive for.

It looks very very interesting Reives.  I'd love to know what city tileset you used, as I'm going to need one myself in the future.

I plan on playing this game when I get some free time :)

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Looking good. I am going to see it now and will get back to you soon. Very very soon.

EDIT::

Okay, I finished it. I thought it was good, but I don't know if RM is the best medium for this kind of story. I don't really think I liked it all that much as I found it pretty slow and the frequent fades made it hard for me to get interested, but the technical aspects of the project were very good.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:13:22 AM by The Commonwealth of Modern Algebra »

Rep:
Level 86
Om Nom Nom
I really like this game.
I almost cried in the ending because of the humming..
The story was so touching...
Good Job Reives!!

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
My apologies for the delayed response! Just came back from a trip yesterday and was occupied from some other things for a while longer.

Many thanks for the comments! Aye, this isn't really a game, heheh.

@Modern:
Thanks for playing! Aye, I certainly see what ya mean; it is really really slow not only in scenes, but also in theme. And for example, something I was attempting to do was the repetition of the mother's in-house scenes to establish a connection to her hard work, but this medium's limitations of a static scenery completely overshadowed the purpose with just bare repetitiveness. It was certainly a nice break to make though!

@Hayop:
Thank you, and glad ya enjoyed it. c': The humming at the end was probably one of my relative favourites from this.

------------------------------------
Hope ya guys still have the game folder, because I am showing ya a magic trick. ;)

*Please embed all posts regarding this little trick is in spoilers.

Let me show you a magic trick:

1. Finish the short story.

2. Go to your project folder, you should now see 5 new files named Wirt, Naeryns, Marc, Song, and Laeril.

3. Change the name of one of them to "Vikon" or "Salory".

4. Restart Lullaby's game file.

Enjoy.  :)

Oh, Lullaby ended up winning the first place for the little contest it was entering for on .org. c': Yay!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 07:30:50 AM by Reives »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
It's cool that it won. Unfortunately (well, actually highly fortunate, but not fortunate in this instance), I got a new computer for Christmas and no longer have the file :( I'll have to redownload to see what's going on. The scene selector is cool by the way.

Rep:
Level 89
Ooh, congratz on your new computer!
And ah, no worries, you can just do this: Copy over any RMXP save file to the folder and name it Vikon.

Rep:
Level 89
Koopa Troopa!
Give this man a medal, or a sticker. A truly brilliant short that turned out amazingly well, especially considering it was made with RMXP. Grats.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
I'm necroposting this game because I finally got around to playing it just recently, and I don't think I've seen a more touching story ever done with RMXP before. Even now, when there's no snow and it's far from Christmas, it's such a beautifully done game with such moving music. One of the best works I've not just seen and heard but actually felt in a long time.

Spoiler for:
And the extra secret game is greatly amusing.  :tpg:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 06:15:05 PM by Zylos »

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
just watched it now, and it was pretty good. Original idea, and very well made.
Congratulations!
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week: