RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
(RM2k3) - Randomizing battle BGs (Earthbound)

Rep:
Level 84
<Jesus Saves>
Thanks to Arrow's Fancy Background set, I felt like making an EarthBound spoof. I'm nowhere near done, and I don't even have a real story laid out... but nonetheless, this project may have something going for it. :-\

I don't know how to randomize the backdrops in battle though... I know there's probably a parallel process you can set on the maps, but I'm not totally sure.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 07:33:42 PM by Kail200X »

ハープダープ

Rep:
Level 84
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
Well, there are two ways you could do this to be honest. One would be to use a Parallel Process to randomise battles and BGs for you, but that would be slightly more difficult. I would do it using the Monster Group eventing. Set this up so it triggers on "Turn Number 0" so it starts off straight away.

Code: [Select]
>Variable: Var[xxxx: Background] Set: Random Number 0-X
>If Var[xxxx: Background] Then
   >Change Battle BG: background.picture
>End If

Just repeat the If statement for every single background you want to set up. Oh, and make sure the starting background is completely empty so no one notices the change properly if the event lags slightly...

Rep:
Level 84
<Jesus Saves>
Err... maybe I should have better specified... xD

It's frames. ._.;

ハープダープ

Rep:
Level 84
Frames? I don't really understand what you're trying to achieve.

Rep:
Level 84
<Jesus Saves>
Well, frames being moving pictures set with different forms of color and transparency, overlapped to somewhat make the backgrounds look animated.

The only way I could think of is to have a parallel process, and have the same enemy encounter occur at random, but with different music / frame animations each time.

ハープダープ

Rep:
Level 84
Oh, you want an animated battle background. You could use a constant "battle animation" call to try and give the effect of animation, but there's a good chance that the player could wait it out and the animation would stop. You'd really have to try and extend the battle animation out really far for it to last that long, and it would look wierd transisting over each turn...

I can't really think of a way to do this, to be honest, I've never tried to do it before. I will say this though, you can't use a Parallel Process since that would only be in effect out of battle,

Rep:
Level 84
<Jesus Saves>
No, I meant changing the frame anims prior to each fight, instead of using the associated frame that goes with the tileset.

ハープダープ

Rep:
Level 89
slate furry thing
When you call a battle via an event, I believe you can set the battle background to follow a terrain. If you are using Frames I assume you have an idea on how to set terrain backgrounds, so you just need to choose the background/terrain you want.

*checks own copy*

Yep. There is a drop down box "Use battle background associated with: [terrain list]". Since you are spoofing Earthbound, I guess you will also have enemies running around the map? That's where you'll need to set this up. Random encounters don't do it - although they do follow the terrain you are currently standing on, which can also be set in the event.

I hope that helps.