RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Preliminary RMRK Awards 2008 Suggestions

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
It's almost November, which means soon will be the third annual RMRK Awards! So far we've expanded each one in comparison to the year previous, and the same will happen this year. Here is a list of last year's categories for reference:

* Best Artist
    * Best Chat Member
    * Best Musician
    * Best Newbie
    * Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
    * Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)
    * Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
    * Best Running Gag
    * Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space
    * Best Username
    * Best Veteran
    * Best Writer
    * Biggest Drama Whore
    * Biggest Forum Potato
    * Biggest Member Moderator
    * Favourite Staff Member
    * Funniest Member
    * Hero to Zero
    * Kindest Member
    * Lamest Running Gag
    * Most Attractive Female Member
    * Most Attractive Male Member
    * Most Boring Member
    * Most Immature Member
    * Most Likely to Become a Moderator
    * Most Mature Member
    * Most Missed Member
    * Post of the Year
    * Thread of the Year
    * Zero to Hero

Use this thread to suggest new categories for the 08 Awards :tpg: Try explaining why your category should be included.

Also, the [ mp3 ] tag has been updated today, now in addition to MP3 files, AAC and m4a will also work. It also shows a little download icon along with the player so users can easily download your file. Here's an example:

Download http://rmrk.net/staff/silverline/afraid.aac

We'll take suggestions up until the start of November, when the awards will officially start with (planned) 2 weeks of nominations followed by 2 weeks of voting.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:24:45 AM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Most Disliked.

How about we split up Best RPG Maker Graphical into
Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)
Best RPG Maker User (Spriting)

Biggest Flamer

Least Favorite Staff Member

IRC Quote of the Year

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
I second with Falcon's suggestion.

:=

Also: 'Most Irritating Member'

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
All looks good :]
* Nouman gets his acceptance speech ready

*edit:

also maybe we can give people's waste of time an award?
- Best Desktop?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:48:45 PM by Nouman »
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
How about we split up Best RPG Maker Graphical into
Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)
Best RPG Maker User (Spriting)

there's more to graphics than just mapping and spriting
there's also battlers, face sets, windowskins, custom menus, animations, title screens, game over screens, etc...

graphical fits them all fine.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
You can't really compare mapping to spriting though. Mapping is more to do with design while spriting is more about using your talents to create something. Sure, you could call that design too but it's not design in the sense of decorating something (Much like mapping is.)

So I agree with Falcon on that and everything else he said.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
If we go into specifics on other items, then we need to go into specifics in categories related to RPG Maker since this is The RPG Maker Resource Kit last time I checked.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
then we'd have to expand graphical to include the other categories.

creative is general too
could be creativity in storyline, puzzles, mapping, art usage, general engine work.

then wouldn't we have to split it by maker? since VX graphics for example, can't compare to XP graphics.

if we apply that same standard across the board we'd have too many unneeded awards
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 01:52:47 PM by Cecil »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
I would say mapping fits into either technical or creative.

Graphical - I'd say maybe split into pixel art and like, one other category like Battler and Face Pics, otherwise it would be too big.

So Graphical
  Pixel Art
  Art Art

We could also split:

Technical
  Eventing
  Scripting

Creative
  Storyline
  Mapping
  Gameplay

At the same time, I don't know if they should be split at all. The only reason I'd want them to be is because there are really only three RM related awards total out of 30 (so 10%), and that isn't very many. At the same time, there aren't that many people who would even fit as candidates. Our resource section is particularly dead for Battler or Faceset artists. NAM is the only one that even comes to mind. And Zeldrak, and emidy, but I haven't seen emidy for a while or Zeldrak.

I would also suggest a Project of the Year award, using all the Projects of the Month as candidates.

I also agree with all of Falcon's suggestions except for Least Liked Staff Member, for selfish reasons of course.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:49:41 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 90
I wonder if the winner of the best looking male member will have 7 known aliases and vote for himself all 7 times like 2007.
community project for RPG Maker VX: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,33789.0.html

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Arlen? He may have seven known aliases, but not seven other accounts. He just changes his name often. Also, the next closest was 7 I think, he had 15, which would mean that he would've still won.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Most Used Smiley?

:tpg: :mex: ;8 ;9 :mad:
Arlen is hot.

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
You forgot  :bean:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)
Graphical really shouldn't be divided, because to me it's not about how good of a mapper they are or how good of a spriter they are or whatnot, but rather how well they mixed it all together to create a game that is overall visually appealing. The same goes for Technical and Creativity. I can see why you'd split them up, but if you divided it into specifics, there'd be so few canidates in each category that you're pretty much bound to know who's going to win before you even vote.

I'd like to add Best RPG Maker User (Musical). I know we already have Best Musician on the list, but just because someone like Halo or Arlen wins doesn't mean that they've made a game that is musically appealing. This would be for the RPG Maker who makes/uses music most effectively in their projects.

I also object to Least Favorite Staff Member and Most Disliked/Most Irritating Member, because people would be needlessly butthurt over just getting nominated for that category, let alone winning the award. But, if it's a category for only people like CJOnlyYou and Mattsaysfooey (IE, people we really don't care if they get butthurt or not), then I'd be all for it. Make it the Biggest Twat award.  ;8

I don't think Most Used Smiley would work, because I think it's something that Roph can just check rather than us vote for.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
-most  :baww:

-person who shouldn't be moderator

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I would also suggest a Project of the Year award, using all the Projects of the Month as candidates.
I second that

Rep:
Level 91
I third.

I disagree with you Zylos. While you're right, it's the combination of the two which makes the game look pretty; you cannot just group them together. They both use VERY different skills. It should just be divided into Mapping and Spriting, since those are the two major aspects which make up the game screen. I could see Battlers being thrown in there too, but that would be more of a Best Artist category.

I say we have an award just called Irock. We shall choose whatever is nominated. Be it Irock or not.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
I fourth.

How about a best forum award? (The Sewers, General Chat, Video Games, etc) Users would vote on the forum with the best content in it. =o

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
We already know who would win that.

Oh and I suggest Worst Running Gag. (IT'S OVER 9000)

Rep:
Level 97
Graphical really shouldn't be divided, because to me it's not about how good of a mapper they are or how good of a spriter they are or whatnot, but rather how well they mixed it all together to create a game that is overall visually appealing. The same goes for Technical and Creativity. I can see why you'd split them up, but if you divided it into specifics, there'd be so few canidates in each category that you're pretty much bound to know who's going to win before you even vote.

I'd like to add Best RPG Maker User (Musical). I know we already have Best Musician on the list, but just because someone like Halo or Arlen wins doesn't mean that they've made a game that is musically appealing. This would be for the RPG Maker who makes/uses music most effectively in their projects.

I also object to Least Favorite Staff Member and Most Disliked/Most Irritating Member, because people would be needlessly butthurt over just getting nominated for that category, let alone winning the award. But, if it's a category for only people like CJOnlyYou and Mattsaysfooey (IE, people we really don't care if they get butthurt or not), then I'd be all for it. Make it the Biggest Twat award.  ;8

I don't think Most Used Smiley would work, because I think it's something that Roph can just check rather than us vote for.

There are a lot of good mappers on the forum, as well as a lot of good project storylines and enough pixel art spriters that the categories wouldn't have predefined winners.

There are at least three scripters on the forum excluding myself, but it would pretty much go to Zeriab - so maybe that isn't a great category. There are also a few eventers, but the thing is that having technical as a supercategory means it will always go to a scripter, since anyone who can script well knows their way around events or could pretty easily if they tried, simply by looking at the Interpreter class. I would like a way to reward eventers for their hard work, especially since having it as a super category ensures a bias against 2k3 and 2k, and I have seen a number of excellent event systems in those games, particularly that Zelda one.

The only one I think might be short of candidates would be the Art categories. Spriting: Caro, dollmage as well (she pops around now and agaian and was active enough in the year that she is worth considering), Atemu

Art Art: only one I can think of off the top of my head is NAM, but we could probably include whoever did the art for Gold Team (I forget who it was). Nessiah would be a good candidate as well.

I think there is enough talent in all of the areas to at least justify, if not warrant, the extra categories.

Rep:
Level 87

I also object to Least Favorite Staff Member and Most Disliked/Most Irritating Member, because people would be needlessly butthurt over just getting nominated for that category, let alone winning the award. But, if it's a category for only people like CJOnlyYou and Mattsaysfooey (IE, people we really don't care if they get butthurt or not), then I'd be all for it. Make it the Biggest Twat award.  ;8

There are a lot of good mappers on the forum, as well as a lot of good project storylines and enough pixel art spriters that the categories wouldn't have predefined winners.

There are at least three scripters on the forum excluding myself, but it would pretty much go to Zeriab - so maybe that isn't a great category. There are also a few eventers, but the thing is that having technical as a supercategory means it will always go to a scripter, since anyone who can script well knows their way around events or could pretty easily if they tried, simply by looking at the Interpreter class. I would like a way to reward eventers for their hard work, especially since having it as a super category ensures a bias against 2k3 and 2k, and I have seen a number of excellent event systems in those games, particularly that Zelda one.

The only one I think might be short of candidates would be the Art categories. Spriting: Caro, dollmage as well (she pops around now and agaian and was active enough in the year that she is worth considering), Atemu

Art Art: only one I can think of off the top of my head is NAM, but we could probably include whoever did the art for Gold Team (I forget who it was). Nessiah would be a good candidate as well.

I think there is enough talent in all of the areas to at least justify, if not warrant, the extra categories.

I'm a spriter... ;____;

Also, the people who made the art for Gold Team was Lord Dante and Arrow-1, Emidy did just a little few before poofing.

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah.

We're not nominating yet, but point is - there are enough to make the category not a throwaway.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)
-most  :baww:

-person who shouldn't be moderator

Most :baww: = Biggest Drama Whore, in my opinion. And I'm against Person Who Shouldn't Be Moderator for the same reason as Least Favorite Staff Member.

I second that

I fifth the Best Project of the Year award, and suggest maybe a Worst Project of the Year award for projects like Gate of Light and Slash Bulk and such.

I third.

I disagree with you Zylos. While you're right, it's the combination of the two which makes the game look pretty; you cannot just group them together. They both use VERY different skills. It should just be divided into Mapping and Spriting, since those are the two major aspects which make up the game screen. I could see Battlers being thrown in there too, but that would be more of a Best Artist category.

How about this? We split the categories up, but keep one category for the general mix. You could have the best mapper out there, but still have a game that looks shitty for bad spriting and whatnot. Have it so that there is a category for best mapper, best spriter, best game artist, best whatever else, and then have a category for best graphics in general. This way everyone wins (no pun intended).

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
We already know who would win that.

Oh and I suggest Worst Running Gag. (IT'S OVER 9000)

Hello already on the list.

Best Threadmaker
Best RMRK Pirate (or something similar, for those that provide us with all sorts of goodies in RMRK Trading)
Most Influential Member
Most Predictable Member
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 91
Sounds good to me Zylos.

The New Naphe