RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Resolved] How do I make a potion that has a duration effect

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Okay here is my example:

I want to make a potion to increase a player's walking speed temporarily, however I can't figure out how to get it to stop after 2 minutes.

Help would be much appreciated :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 09:50:34 PM by 1wdc »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Post in the right fucking place, and maybe people won't ignore you.

Be more friendly, and maybe you'd keep some members.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I guess its a good thing that I don't give a shit if you leave then, huh?

Calm down, the internet isn't serious business. Cut down on the crack and kindly tell people where to put their topics, especially if they're newer members and it was their first post.

No wonder this topic goes 23 hours without a new post.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:29:20 PM by 1wdc »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
23 hours? It's only been seven hours since you posted this topic

Anyway, I moved it to Tutorials. However, this will likely require a script, so post a topic in Script Request. Follow the stickied rules or else Falcon will get angry at you.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
This doesn't require a script at all. You make the potion call a common event.
...wraghsasgs let me just make a demo or something. I'll post it here whenever I get around to it.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
OH lol, sorry about that. I misunderstood the request: I shouldn't have redirected you to Scripts. Gilga is right.

just set a timer for 2 minutes, increase the player walk speed, and voila
its all in events, gilga is right, use a common event
player walk speed is in set move route
(it could probably be more detailed in what I just said, but that's the basics)

Rep:
Level 97
I wouldn't use a timer, I'd use a wait command. Reason being only one timer can be active at a time, so you'd have to not use the timer for anything else or else disable use of the potion when another timer is active.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I was going to make an event for this real quick, but everything ends up being more complex in RMVX. The just of it is you need a looping wait with a variable, or one really really long wait, as well as a seperate event to change your movement speed with a conditional branch related to the variable, since any event altering your movement pattern shuts down your manual movement.

Chodemeister
Rep:
Level 84
a wait command might work, if made correctly, this is not an easy thing to create   :(
Tahl died when I got my WoW account activated lol
And I lost my GoE 1 & 2 unecrypted data when my backup harddrive died after I reformatted...go figure
-GoE http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30050.0.html
-GoE2 http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30045.0.html

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
20 x number of seconds = waiting # of frames, from what I remember. 1wdc, you just suck at RPG Making. Learn what each event thing does and THEN come to us for help. You don't even need to learn them. Just read.

Rep:
Level 97
There's no call for that mooface. I'm sure I could find some requests from you where the same advice could be given.

20 x number of seconds = waiting # of frames, from what I remember. 1wdc, you just suck at RPG Making. Learn what each event thing does and THEN come to us for help. You don't even need to learn them. Just read.
I do know what each event does, tried several different common events, lurked the forum, and have found nothing.

Chodemeister
Rep:
Level 84
There's no call for that mooface. I'm sure I could find some requests from you where the same advice could be given.

:mex: VIVA LA HITLER XD
Tahl died when I got my WoW account activated lol
And I lost my GoE 1 & 2 unecrypted data when my backup harddrive died after I reformatted...go figure
-GoE http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30050.0.html
-GoE2 http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30045.0.html

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks

Jesus, that took all of two minutes and 30 seconds to make. The two minutes were to test it.
Have the speed potion call that first common event there.
The only issues are that it doesn't pause the timer during event scenes, and scenes that modify the character's speed will conflict with it, and I really don't feel like setting that up for you. It's not too hard, figure it out yourself.
These does, however, make it so that the timer resets if you use a second potion.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:56:55 PM by GilgameshRO »

That worked, thank you.

Sorry for the slow response, Oblivion + Spore can get addicting.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Lol Spore gets old, quick. It is so boring once you reach creature stage.

I'm actually going to try and find some of my requests, lol.

EDIT: I searched "request" from posts by me. Majority are talking about people and helping with requests. The majority of the remainder are non-RM questions, lol. The few that are are graphic requests that are obviously aren't on RMRK or that one help with scripting because it required using an obviously complex side-scrolling battle system. Lol.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:33:45 AM by mastermoo420 »