RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Quest Book - version 1.2

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Quest Book
Version: 1.2

Introduction

This is a fairly heavy quest book which provides an overview over a number of quests represented by pictures. Each of the quests can be selected and a window with quest specific details will be shown. (The pictures are 80x80)

Features

Quests can have any number of parts. (Only the text for the current part is shown)
The quest book can be applied to a game in progress since whether quests are solved or not depends on variables, switches or a combination of them.
Solved quests kept and can be shown.
The opacity of background of the quest book can be changed and a picture can be shown behind it accordingly to a variable.

Screenshots

Demo

QuestBook version 1.2 (rar)

Script

I really suggest the demo rather than the script since it also contains example pictures.
I have included them for people who just want to take a look at the script.
Quest Book Script

Here is the example usage of the script used in the demo: (I would suggest placing it in a different section)

Installation

Insert the script just above main. (Like so many other scripts)
Insert just below the script a new section. This section will be were you configure the script. Create quests and such.

Instructions

I will try an experiment here. Instead of written a big wall of text explaining everything I want to know where my explanation should be in-depth and where it should be more shallow. I.e. where should I focus.
Please look at the example usage of the script.
What is for you the most confusing parts?
Will you be able to modify the quests?
Will you be able to add another quest?
Will you be able to add/remove a quest part?
Is it clear how the Quest_Criteria works?
Do you understand the top part where you configure the background?
How do you add/remove another background picture?
How do you change the opacity of the quest book? The path?
Can you figure out how to modify, add and remove the actual picture files? (You should probably download the demo for this)

This is a case of help me become better at helping you. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Compatibility

Spoiler for If you are using exotic save systems:
At the bottom of the script (Binding to Scene_Load section in the demo) you find this code
Code: [Select]
#==============================================================================
# ** Scene_Load
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  Aliases and uses the on_decision method to reset $game_quests on the proper
#  time.
#==============================================================================

class Scene_Load < Scene_File
  # Check if the alias already exists (To avoid F12 errors)
  unless self.method_defined?(:zeriab_questbook_scene_load_on_decision)
    alias zeriab_questbook_scene_load_on_decision :on_decision
  end
  def on_decision(*args)
    # Call the original method
    zeriab_questbook_scene_load_on_decision(*args)
    # Check if the scene has changed
    unless $scene == self
      # Reset quest data
      $game_quests.reset
    end
  end
end

The idea with that snippet is to call a method when you load a save. It is used to preserve consistency in the quest book
$game_quests.reset

Note only do this if there is a problem with the snippet. (You can try putting a " p 'test' " in the reset method in Game_Quests if you want to test that it is called when you load a game)

Credits and Thanks

Credits goes to Zeriab
Special thanks goes to Indinera who requested the script for the game Laxius Force

I would like to thank everyone using their time to try and use my system.
I would like to thank everyone reading this topic.
Thanks.

Terms and Conditions
Spoiler for License:
Copyright (C) 2007  Zeriab

This script is free to use under the condition of Zeriab being credited. (Commercial and non-commercial projects alike)
This script can be freely changed and distributed under the condition of the original author remains in the script.
Verbatim copies of this topic can be freely distributed

This script is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Author's Notes

This script were designed for a game so the visualization is very fixed.

I would be delighted if you report any bug, errors or issues you find.
In fact I would be delighted if you took the time and replied even if you have nothing to report.
Suggestions are more than welcome

And finally: ENJOY!

- Zeriab
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:54:25 PM by Zeriab »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Very cool script Zeriab.

In terms of instructions, I suggest you point out the fact that each of the quest icons is a picture. I can see people coming to the screenshots and saying eww, I don't want all my quests to be a green square and then not try the script and find out that each is actually an Icon set by them.

Other than that, I think the sample setup is pretty self-explanatory - maybe you could describe what should be in the Quest Criteria area though.

Rep:
Level 92
Thanks a lot modern ^_^
You are a scripter though so what's self-explanatory for you might not be it for others.

On a side note: I wish I had the time to check your new scripts out -_-

*hugs*
 - Zeriab

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I suppose :)

And that's alright about not looking at my scripts. The only big script I've released recently is V. 2 of the ATS, and that is just an old script repackaged. Aside from which, it still has some noticeable lag when adding 10-15+ messages together, and it has nothing sophisticated in it either, so it's not very good or interesting.

Also, this belongs in the database, but I'll let you move it when you're ready.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:15:23 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 92
I don't think it belongs to the database atm since I have not finished the instructions yet.
When I have made them I will move it to the database ^^

Rep:
Level 92
This weird...
This script is already my second-most downloaded script yet there has been no questions.
Maybe I'll just add a few things to note and let it be with that. I am assuming the silence means people can figure out how to do it.

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
I got onle one question i should make the quest in events scripts or in script Editor?[because im makeing a quest and im not sure what script to use the one in events or in the editor scripts]
Great Quest book  ;D :chocobo:

Rep:
Level 92
You make all quests in the script editor.
You can control the quests either with Script Calls in events or in custom scripts. Whatever you like.

What would you prefer?
An enumeration of the features and an explanation of the features? (Like the instructions in my Caterpillar script)
A tutorial walking through how to make a quest?
A combination or something else?

Thanks for the input ^_^
*hugs*
 - Zeriab
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 10:14:11 AM by Zeriab »

I couldn't figure out how to call the script. Like for testing until the CMS I need is done, how can I get it so that when a certain button is pressed to bring up the quest book.

Rep:
Level 92
$scene = Scene_Questbook.new

You can put that in the call script of an event. You can also use it other places. A call script is simply the easiest way of calling it.

Okay, thanks. I put that into a Common Event and then made an item that calls the even. :D

Oh fart! >_< The link isn't working! Where can I get a copy of this script now? Thanks in advance. :(

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I really want this too! O_O

Rep:
Level 92
I have attached the files to my post ^_^
It just happens to be so that my free hosting was closed. I got it due to an ad stunt.

*hugs*
 - Zeriab

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Thanks a ton, Zeriab. : )

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
All links to the examples and to the RAR version are 404 links, there broken please fix ASAP (please) I would like to use this

Rep:
Level 83
Look at me, runnin' and all
Project of the Month winner for August 2009
Hey dude,

Sorry for the late reaction, but I had a question. Wich part of the script did you use to select the boxes, like in the screen? Hmm, how do I put this in good english.. You see a selection over the little green boxes, what means that you can select them. What code did you use for that?

Greets! ;)

PS: Lovely script!
  - 

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Suggestion: Allow for each quest to have multiple completion outcomes.  This would be useful in games that allow the player to deal with each quest in different ways, enabling them to look back and see how they've been handling themselves over the course of the game.

Example Quest: Rescue a little girl from bandits.
Completion 1: Little girl rescued, bandits defeated.
Completion 2: Bandits defeated, but the little girl was killed.
Completion 3: Little girl rescued, but the bandits escaped.
Completion 4: Joined the bandits and ransomed off the little girl for pocket change.

Lastly, thanks for the great script.  It has been very helpful in my current project.

Rep:
Level 92
I am glad you like my script ^_^

@Japur
It all happens in the Window_Questbook class. The trick is to inherit from Window_Selectable.
To get the different size selection size I overwrite the following 4 methods:
update_cursor_rect
top_row
top_row=(row)
page_row_max

@Silviera
That's a good idea, but I am afraid some fairly heavy modifications are needed since the completion of a quest is determined by whether the last quest part have been reached or not.
You can mimic it by have 4 different quests where only one will have the first part displayed (i.e. conditions fulfilled).

*hugs*
 - Zeriab