RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Game titles: What not to do.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I was looking through some of the threads that people made about the games they're creating, and I noticed a few trends. Don't hate the messenger.

1. There are a lot of games being made based off already created game franchises. Predictably, there are a lot of Final Fantasy sequels, prequels, and branch offs. Why don't people try to have some original ideas? And, ok, so your Star Ocean spinoff has some innovations. Awesome. Why wouldn't you just make your own story? I really don't care if Radix meets some lame wooden character that you created.

2. Most of the titles are very cheesy and contain cliched/overused words. I'm not going to give specific examples, as to put down people and their work, but here are some overused RPG words:
     Dragon
     Eternal
     Crystal
     Magic
     Fantasy
     Tales
 And so on and so forth. When I see a RM game that has the word "Dragon" in the title, I skip right past it.

3. Most titles are extremely pretentious, especially for games that people work on for like 2 weeks and then forget about or give up on. If it takes longer for me to read the title than it does to beat the demo, I don't even want to waste my time. Again, no specifics, but:
     The Preternatural Asphyxiation Part I: Dilapidate Requiem
     Venerated Champion: Darkness Chapter
     Eternal Crystal Tales Of The Magic Fantasy Dragon
     Analingus Andrew and the Malfeasant Coprophile - Act IV: Epinephrine Anal Plugs (Beta Version)
Naming your game something long and obnoxious doesn't make it better. Oh, and seriously. We're never going to see the completed "Part I". Don't make it sound like there will be a part II.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 06:44:19 PM by Nouman »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Holk, you just succeeded in making me laugh harder than I have all week.

The Preternatural Asphyxiation Part I: Dilapidate Requiem
     Venerated Champion: Darkness Chapter
     Analingus Andrew and the Malfeasant Coprophile - Act IV: Epinephrine Anal Plugs (Beta Version)

that just made me laugh my ass off.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Even if I didn't really find myself laughing I do agree with everything you've said
:taco: :taco: :taco:

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Anal Plugs lol.

But you're right, there are such words used often.
So from now on, instead of dragon, add Prophet/Heaven/Dreams/Dungeon etc.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)

Thank you for being a member of this place.

pokeball zxmOfflineMale
Astronaut Raticate Banana
Rep:
Level 92
Pineapple Line Colour
Totally move this topic to the rpmaker part of the forums.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Yeah, this could totally be a sticky in Game Creation General Chat

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Keys of Saeus. :)

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Mr. Mooooojooooooo riiiiiiiiisiiiiiiiiiiin'

That has nothing to do with anything.

Anyway, Analingus Andrew is an awesome name. He could totally be the ass to mouth mascot in a safe sex video.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
lol, thanks guys. I don't know why people make these ridiculous names. Maybe it makes them feel more powerful.

Move it to another section if you want~

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Pretentious Monotony: Cacaphony of the Derelict

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
lol Eternal Crystal Tales Of The Magic Fantasy Dragon
Thank you Holk :3
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
That's an awesome list.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
AWESOME POSSUM KICKS DOCTOR MACHINO'S BUTT!

Rep:
Level 97
I'm Awesome.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
lol, I love how he reminds us of that

Rep:
Level 97
I think my favourite was either "Beyond the Beyond" or "Divine Divinity"

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Irritating Stick

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Ok holk, i'll listen to you.

So, i'm gonna name my game :

Dragon Tales Of The Magical Crystals of Eternity
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 94
Ok holk, i'll listen to you.

So, i'm gonna name my game :

Dragon Tales Of The Magical Crystals of Eternity

I think you've not only missed the point, but ended up on the other side of the world from it.

Ps. Dragon Tales is already a game, lol.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Come on Holky, you're fighting for nothing. These titles are classics.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 97
Make it Dragon Tails. People love puns.

Rep:
Level 87
Gate of Light ;8

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Tales of Crytsal Dragons? =D
Arlen is hot.