RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Which game idea should I go with?

Poll

Which game idea should I go with? (Choose up to 2)

Ace Attorney
7 (30.4%)
Midnight
7 (30.4%)
Star Quest
3 (13%)
Visual Novel
3 (13%)
Puzzle Game
1 (4.3%)
Other
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: September 06, 2008, 01:17:09 PM

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
With the completion of Shadows, I'm now wondering what I should do next. I've always got a number of game ideas, but since I'm back at college now and don't have all that much free time anymore, I want to limit myself to only one game. Take a look at some of my misc. game plans and see which ones you'd most like to see done. You may choose up to TWO ideas for the poll.

Ace Attorney game

A while back, me and NAMKCOR conspired to make a game called Fox Attorney. It would star RMRK members in hilarious (yet serious) court situations, such as Garygill being accused of art theft and Tezuka accused of illegal downloading. However, this proved to be a little much because I would need so many resources, permissions, scripts, and whatnot.

Two weeks ago, I decided to mess around with some sort of evented court system for Fox Attorney (just for fun), and found something that actually might work. I wrote a brand new story (one that doesn't involve any RMRK members), renamed it Ace Attorney: Trial by Fire, and have fallen in love with it. All I need is a few tweaks, such as closing a message box with scripting rather than pressing the C button.

This is one of my favorite ideas, but when all's said and done it's just another Ace Attorney fan game, so I'm not sure how popular the idea might be to others.

Midnight

Despite what some people have said, I have not given up on this. But, I have hit a serious snag with the battle system. The whole battle system relies on the maps and the number of events that are in it. However, I soon discovered that the more maps I add, the less that both the player and the enemies would respond to when they are hit. It's complicated. The easiest solution to this would be simply to find a decent ABS Script and find someone to help me edit it to my needs. Additionally, I'll probably start from scratch so that I can rework the mapping and events that were tied to the old battle system.

This could be a kick-ass game if I can get a good ABS. Plus, I think my mapping and lighting skills have considerably improved since I originally started, and I've got plenty of people offering to help with sprites, art, and music.

Star Quest

I started Shadows on July 1st for the GiaM contest, but after a short way through, I had a change of heart and wanted to make a shooting game. Thus for about half a week, I put my efforts into making Star Quest, a sci-fi shooting game where you simply controlled a red target and pulled the trigger when you came to an enemy. The idea seemed well liked. However, the game would have taken much more than a month to finish, so I gave up and continued with Shadows.

Now that the GiaM contest is over, I can go back to making this game. All I need is a few tweaks and this could be an interesting fast-paced action game.

Visual Novel

Love seems to be a cliche' thing in almost all games. "Guy goes to save the world, guy meets girl along the way, guy falls in love with girl, guy gets the girl after he saves the world", or something like that. However, what if the story ONLY revolved around the guy and girl? What if there wasn't a world to save or some other objective to accomplish? What if the only thing you had to do was to find a way to make it with this one person?

This could be an interesting visual novel of sorts, with no battles or puzzles, but a lot of drama, comedy, and love. Perhaps it's just me in my romantic "wanna-hold-boyfriend" mood, but I actually like this idea the best. Hundreds of RPG's that focus on too large of an objective, versus one "game" that focuses sheerly on one small (yet important) objective: love.

Puzzle Game

Um, I'm really not in the mood to make another puzzle game like Shadows so soon after its completion. But, lots of people are saying things like "I really want to see a sequel" or "Can't wait for Shadows 2" and things like that. Obviously, I'm not going to make a sequel or anything, but if the concept is popular enough, I do have a game idea for something similar to a combination of Shadows and Tomb Raider (without the guns). You are an explorer in Egypt and you've recently found an underground pyramid. However, before you even have a chance to open it, you are betrayed by your partner and locked into a room. Shortly thereafter, you escape from the room only to find that all of the diggers in the pyramid have been killed by something. You need to find an escape from the pyramid before whatever killed them finds you too.

Pretty much, just imagine Shadows with a more adrenaline rushed atmosphere. You have to solve puzzles quickly, or else something will eat you. In fact, it may show up at anytime, so you have to be ready to run for your life at anytime.

It'd also be helpful if in addition to choosing two game ideas, you posted and told me why you choose those two (especially if you chose "Other").

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Okay, i chose ace attorney and Midnight >.>

Well, the reasons are pretty obvious, I am a rmrk forum-type, so i'll enjoy playing the ace attorney game, and i think alot of people would consent because it's a great idea <.<. And yeah, i'd love to see midnight to it's end, because it was pretty fun besides the kinks in the battle system and the characters were great and hell yeah i'm curious, so um.....that's it.

\/ comes up with better and more engaging reasons.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
I chose Ace Attorney and Midnight because I like them.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 87
Yeah, I'd go with Ace Attorney and Midnight. If you need a shooting action type of ABS, just tell me. I use an ABS which suits Midnight, I guess.

Rep:
Level 88
I chose Midnight and Star Quest. Midnight just seems really great, and Star Quest is a bit different.

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
I really always liked Midnight >_____>;;; I want moar!

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Falcon demands Midnight. I'd rather have an original game then something I can just go out and get in the store.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Six people who have posted so far, and six votes for Midnight. I think I can tell which one's going to win in the end then. The Ace Attorney game is looking good too, but one of the votes is my own, so...

Also, feel free to send me the ABS Script, DeathLock. I'm still looking at various ones, most of which either suck or aren't good for ranged weapons.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Double-post for updates.

Obviously either Ace Attorney or Midnight is going to win the poll. DeathLock sent me an interesting ABS for Midnight, but it'll be difficult to edit to my needs. Ace Attorney will be easier script-wise since all I need is one or two 'friggin lines of Ruby code to get the Court System working good. However, many people have said that they liked Midnight over Ace Attorney because it's more original.

So, I guess it just comes down to Ease vs. Originality. Midnight is loosely based on Res. Evil and is more popular, but would be more difficult to make and take a LOT of time. Ace Attorney is obviously heavily based on the game series of the same name, but has an original story and would be much easier to make than Midnight.

Keep voting, people.

EDIT: Poll closed with a tie, so I'll go with the Ace Attorney idea, and once it's finished I'll work on Midnight. Much easier that way.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:38:47 PM by Zylos »