RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RMXP] Shadows (COMPLETE) (Unencrypted)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Yeah... see, the thing is, if I didn't stop to let the main character wonder about why the room was still dark even if the candles were lit, I would have gotten "Uh... why are there lit candles here but I'm still walking in darkness? Lol, programmer/logic fail!" rather than making the player curious or thoughtful. It helps accent the mystery and directs focus so that the player isn't going "Uh, wtf?", all while giving the main character a bit of personality instead of making him a completely silent protagonist.

Rep:
Level 81
Why can't life kiss my ass instead of bite it??
ahh see I would have like to have thought that about the lights. each to there own I suppose lol  ;)

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
I cant figure out what that stray book with the drawings in the corner of the library is for -_-
BTW nice game zylos

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
That, my friend, is a secret map of hidden areas in the game. Two of these areas are plot related and able to aid you in securing a good ending, and one is just a joke area I threw in for the fun of it. The challenge is to be able to read the map and figure out just where these secret passages are.

If you wind up being stumped, you can always send me a message and I'll give you a hint.

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
RMRK Junior
hello...
I'm new to RMXP... after looking at this game i get the idea to also make spotlight effect to my game... but could someone give me steps to make it...??? please...
I'm sorry if i did mistakes in asking... i don't know yet the rules of this forum.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
The game is unencrypted, just look at how Zylos did it.

Just make sure it's credited.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I need to update that link, it died ages ago.

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Ametuer
OMG the epicness!!!!!!!!!!! must...make...sequel!!!! *fursona throws brick at my head*

Beikay: you IDIOT!!! you need to ask for  PERMISSION first before you do something stupid like that!!

me: but bei... the epicness!!

Beikay: ask first!

Me: ok...

PLZ O PLZ!!!! this game is too awesome to be just one thing!! i would be honered if u gave me permission to make a sequel!!
plz? (O.O)
Join us on the best RP EVER!!! :D

To create, you must first destroy.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Uh, sure, if you really want to.

Thanks for reminding me to finally update the link for the unencrypted version. I added that to the first post underneath the regular download link. Same rules apply as last time for everyone, no directly copin' stuff or borrowing graphics and stuff without knowing where they came from. It's for use as a base for people to learn from, not as a resource goldmine.

http://www.mediafire.com/?x61p6eo1vhakc4s

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Ametuer
OMG DANKU SO MUCH!!!! ill do everything i can to make it awesome!!!

i played the game three times (four counting the first mess up OAO) and i got both the good and bad endings. and two things.. i know they're not important... but

1. would you beleive me if i said i got the good ending on the first try, and
2. would you beleive that when i first played the dragon warrior puzzle, i didnt know it was a puzzle and got it in about 2 min, but everytime afterward took about 20-30 min?

they arent important, i just want you to know how much i love the game!!

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
*loads shotgun* Say the word. Just say it Zylos.

Also I wish I was on a computer to play this, it looks amazing, and anything by Zylos must be good

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Ametuer
i wish you could play too...

but don't shoot me i have friends to look after.
personally, id say that Shadows, is the very DEFINITION of epicness.

(btw, started on the "unencrypted" version... i see no difference between the two.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
There isn't. Unencrypted just means you can look at it in the editor and see the eventing and graphics and stuff.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Chill out my fellow fluffball. Try typing properly lol. And yeah algebra is right, just means you can see what he used and how he did it :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:33:47 PM by Mein Captein »

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Ametuer
oh...

...!!!

THAT'S SO COOL!!!!

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Most RMers don't do it though, because they're selfish and don't want their ideas being 'stolen'. Zylos is kind enough to let you know how he did what he did.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Doesn't matter either thanks to TCrpyt. Anyway, crackin Zylos, we loe you <3 etc

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Not everyone is creative enough to think about decrypting encrypted RM games. If someone's smart enough to be able to open up the encrypted version, they're probably smart enough to get their own resources easily enough themselves via resource sites like Ninesages or here on RMRK, where they aren't modified to my own game's needs. At any rate, an unencrypted version is nice to have for people wanting to know how a puzzle was done or what tint I used or etc, and I don't mind people looking at my stuff as long as they don't do anything stupid like taking credit for it.

...also, Gracie? Why are you aiming a giant party popper at her? o.o

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Ametuer
they're not being selfish! they just dont want anyone taking they're ideas w/o their permission thats all.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Which some may perceive as being selfish.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Also they post it on the Internet, it's going to be posted and ripped. All you can do is ask for credit and bung a creative commons on it.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
Buying a creative commons on it is relatively pointless anyway, because people rip it. The law is an obstacle, not a pathway.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
First off, I don't think it's selfish to encrypt your game to try to protect the resources and hard work that you did specifically for your game from being directly taken and slapped into someone else's project (especially if their project turns out to be a piece of crap). But again, I'm leaving it unencrypted so that people can learn from it. I've gotten a lot of PM's asking how to do things like the puzzles or the shadow effect, and it'll be good for people just starting out.

Secondly, let's not debate the encryption of games in my game thread here. There are better places for it, and it really doesn't matter for Shadows since I have both encrypted and unencrypted available.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
You don't buy creative commons; they're just standard pre-drafted licences that you're free to use.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
(Last offtopic post here)
You don't buy creative commons; they're just standard pre-drafted licences that you're free to use.
I knew that, I just misread Gracie's post and decided to play along with my mind. Or something.
I don't think it's selfish to encrypt your game to try to protect the resources and hard work that you did specifically for your game
I agree, I was just pointing out how kind you were in a non-standard way. By which I mean, my fingers didn't type what my mind was thinking.