RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RMXP] Shadows (COMPLETE) (Unencrypted)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)

“Darkness…
An empty void of nothingness…
You see nothing.
You hear nothing.
You feel nothing.
You don’t know who you are…
You don’t know where you are…
You only know that you are...
And that is where your story begins.”

You wake up in a dark room with a throbbing pain in your head and no memory of your past. You have no idea who you are, where you are, how you got there, or even what year it is. The only clue in your possession is an ornate matchbox with the initials “A.C.” written on it. You strike a match and the room becomes bright, with the shadows and dim light gleefully dancing together on the walls.

You have but one objective on your mind now: to find an escape from this place.

This is the normal version of the game.
Download Link

I've uploaded an unencrypted version of the game for people looking for ideas for their own projects or wanting help on getting started. I only ask that you don't try to directly copy my game or just "borrow" the resources out.
Unencrypted Version

Spoiler for Credits:
Game Created By

Zylos (duh)

Resources

Backwater Productions (Sprites)
Dertt (Sprites)
Dubealex (AMS Script)
Enterbrain (RPG Maker)
Etorie (Sprites)
Ninesages.org (Misc. Graphics)
PartnersInRhyme.com (SFX)
Redwyn (Sprites)
Resident Evil (SFX)
SoundSnap.com (SFX)
Zanyzora (Tileset)

Music

TheAmateurAnimator - "Down the Darkest Road", "Midnight Mystery"
Beethoven (lol) - "Für Elise"
BlizzardTears - "Lost in The Tunnels"
Darknez101 - "Ghosts of the Past"
HaloOfTheSun - "Manison ~ 2nd Floor"
MaestroSegments - "A Nasty Fear"
Monster13 - "Creepy Doll House"
SirFiNiX - "The Haunted Music Box"

Special Thanks To

Arrow, Redwyn, and NAMKCOR (Testers)
Goku-San (Special artwork)

Though every effort is taken to make sure that proper credit is given for all resources, it is sometimes impossible to accurately identify the creator of certain resources. For this reason, I ask that if you know someone that I have neglected to properly credit, please send me a message and I shall amend the situation quickly.

This is a short, finished puzzle game with about 30 to 45 minutes of gameplay, depending on your simple puzzle solving capablities. There are no battles or party members to pick-up. There's just a simple "interact with your enviorment" gameplay. If you ever get stuck, feel free to PM me, and I'll drop you a hint. ^__^

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:26:02 AM by Dr_Zylos »

MONOCLE MAN
Rep:
Level 89
-::Gone::-
Awesome :D

Zylos, MSN me if your on.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Oh, I almost forgot to mention. There's two endings: a good one and a bad one. However, in order to get the good ending, you'll need information found only in secret areas. I've left a map in the game that will show you where the secret passages are that will lead to the three secret areas in the game. Two of these secret areas will contain the information you need. Good luck!

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
This looks neat. I'd move it to the root forum if it wasn't already there.

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Downloading now, this looks kick-ass!
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
This looks neat. I'd move it to the root forum if it wasn't already there.

Lol, yeah, I don't often get the opportunity to move a topic, so I jumped at the chance to put it in it's proper board.

Downloading now, this looks kick-ass!

Why, thank you!

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Playing it.
Loving it.

EDIT:Can't find the secret area map! ;-;
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:39:18 PM by Lynx »
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I'll give you a hint. It's somewhere in the library. It's visible, but not obvious.

MONOCLE MAN
Rep:
Level 89
-::Gone::-
I found the secret area! Guys, look behind the giant cow in there, it so obvious!

this is a joke, plzthx : D

Rep:
Level 87
Downloading now, should be an interesting experience.

Rep:
Level 86
Is the good ending when you know the womans name... and input it correctly.?

If so, then ya, I got the good ending.
Didn't find any use for the cheese though.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Lol, the cheese is a joke item that I added on a whim. BTW, there's another joke item in that same room, but it's much harder to find.

Rep:
Level 86
Zylos;

You may get your wish with your joke item, *****Prize. (Not to ruined what it is.)

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I'll give this a download, I liked the beta

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 87
If only life had HDR lighting... (sigh)
I hope I got her name right... Hmm
I love the game mate!
+rep

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
*downloads

pokeball zxmOfflineMale
Astronaut Raticate Banana
Rep:
Level 92
Pineapple Line Colour
This game is going to be featured on the first episode of The RMRK Show!

Huh, sorry The What?

Rep:
Level 87
What is the "RMRK SHOW"?

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
My game is being reviewed for a show? Woohoo!

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature spaceSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I think I've ran into a problem...

Spoiler for:
I found the backwards sheet music in a book but he won't play it on the piano. ;o;

Rep:
Level 87
That's not a problem, it's a puzzle.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"

Spoiler for:
I found the backwards sheet music in a book but he won't play it on the piano. ;o;

Spoiler for:
The name is a give away.

Great game, Zylos.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?

Spoiler for:

You can't play the piano BECAUSE the sheet music is backwards. But the solution is easy. Just keep going and you're bound to figure out what to do.

Great game, Zylos.

Thank you!

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Haha you won $50 almost by default. Nice! That is easy cash.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
And it's all gonna get spent on Ramen Noodles for a meal-planless year of college.  :-\

Anyway, thank you so much, RMXPokemaniac!

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Ramen > Other food              in college.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Attention!

I've heard a number of people say that they got the bad ending, but because they DIDN'T SAVE, they don't want to replay through the entire game just to find the other ending. One person even criticized my game for "not forcing the player to save before the ending and allow players to backtrack". Obviously, I am not going to do that because 1) it ruins the flow of the game to force the player to save, and because 2) the main character distinctly warns you before the ending that once you climb the final ladder, you will not be able to turn back.

So, this is a friendly piece of advice for all of you: save your game at least once or twice instead of complaining about it.

Rep:
Level 87
Sorry for the late reply, I kinda forgot about playing this.

Man, it took me three tries before I was able to figure out the name. What's with the non-plot related room? Made me laugh so hard. XD

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I was going to make it a plot-related room with the papers on the table being an important manuscript written by Mdm. Trelawney and a giant portait of her and her husband, but then at the last second I literally said "Oh Jesus Christ, f#&% it!" and added whatever I felt like adding. The result, as quoted by one of my testers, was simply this: "wtf? lol!"

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Congratulations Zylos. NAM has picked this project to be September's PotM. Sorry I'm so late with this.

Generic PM to proceed shortly.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Grats on POTM.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
heh, you totally deserve it Zylos :3

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Congrats Zylos, on POTM.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Rep:
Level 87
Congrats Zylos, for a short game it was enjoyable.

Rep:
Level 85
:3
Wow, this game looks amazing! This is definitely something I'm going to download. :D

Also, what's PotM? Nevermind. Congrats, Zylos!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:44:48 PM by Playful Otter »
:dalton:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
NAMKCOR's "special edition" of Insanity reminded me of something I've been thinking about doing for a while now.

I've been getting a lot of PM's lately asking how I made certain puzzles or events in Shadows. So, I've uploaded an unencrypted  version of the game so that people can take it apart and see how it works. Let you guys see for yourselves what I used to make the puzzles and how they are made, or where I screwed up and made something overly complicated that should have been simple. I've even left a huge mistake in there on one of the blue torches that only one person ever noticed (though I'm not saying which one it is), and one of the rooms that I was going to throw in but ran out of time to make.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/25bc4d

There's only two things I ask.

One: Please do not even think about taking out my name and putting yours in it, or copying something verbatim from the game. I've already posted the game on a number of RPG Maker sites, and odds are that anywhere you upload it, someone who knows that it's not yours will see it and tell me about it. But I'm trusting that you guys won't do anything stupid like that.

Two: Please do not just go in and grab the resources I used. I took a lot of time tracking down the exact resources I needed and editted most of them to better suit my needs. If you just go and grab stuff that you think you could use in your game, you are most likely grabbing something that you don't know who made and was probably editted specifically for my game. Almost everything you see in there you can go and find on your own easily enough, or could just ask me where I got it from.

Other than that, have fun.

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
This should be a great resource, I may want to make a topic for unencrypted game people can learn from....

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Would you mine if I stole a puzzle or two from your game?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
There's only two things I ask.

One: Please do not even think about taking out my name and putting yours in it, or copying something verbatim from the game. I've already posted the game on a number of RPG Maker sites, and odds are that anywhere you upload it, someone who knows that it's not yours will see it and tell me about it. But I'm trusting that you guys won't do anything stupid like that.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
You can use the puzzles in my game if you want, but don't just rip it out of my game and place it in yours. Use my game as a reference and make it on your own, customizing it to your game. It'll not only be more compatible with your game that way, but you might learn something from it.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
okay, but the two I want are going to be hard to customize >_<

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
Lol, the cheese is a joke item that I added on a whim. BTW, there's another joke item in that same room, but it's much harder to find.

hi zylos, i really love your games style. I've passed Shadows already, and found even the medal, and the cheese ;) also the good ending =)

Please keep doing more games, i really want to play other games you've made!!!
*love your style, i loce shadows gameplay to find secrets etc, and also Midnight project, survival horror =D*

I'll be waiting =)

*keep the good work
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Wow, that was a massive bump, but, uh, thanks. :3

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
Yeah, I'm lovin' this game but I can't find out how to finish the water bottle puzzle... It's a damn shame, really, I was startin' to love this game... haha...  ;8
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Spoiler for Water Puzzle Solution:
Alright, so, you have a scale that needs a four ounce weight to even it out. Well, there just happens to be 8 ounces of water right on the table. Problem is, there's no four ounce measuring cup, and you need everything to be exact or else the scale won't be even. Therefore, you must use what's available to measure out exactly four ounces. You have on the table three bottles: an 8-ounce bottle (which is already filled with water), a 5-ounce bottle, and a 3-ounce bottle.

Let's start by filling up the 5-ounce bottle with the water from the 8-ounce bottle, which leaves us with 3 left in the 8-ounce bottle. A point to remember is that you can only fill the bottles to the brim, so whatever doesn't fit in the bottle you were trying to transfer to stays in the original container. Common sense, if you take 5 ounces from 8 ounces of water, you have 3 ounces left. Next, we fill up the 3-ounce bottle with what we just poured into the 5-ounce bottle. That leaves us with 3 ounces in the 3-ounce bottle, 2 ounces in the 5-ounce bottle, and 3 ounces in the 8-ounce bottle.

Let's go ahead now and move the 3 ounces from the 3-ounce bottle into the 8-ounce bottle, which adds up to 6 ounces in the 8-ounce bottle. Then, we move the 2 ounces from the 5-ounce bottle over to the 3-ounce bottle. With me so far? 2 in the 3-ounce, 0 in the 5-ounce, and 6 in the 8-ounce. Now, lets fill up the 5-ounce bottle again with the water from the 8-ounce, leaving us with only 1 ounce left in the 8-ounce bottle. Now, look very carefully. There's 2 ounces still in the 3-ounce bottle, which means it only has space for 1 ounce. 5 ounces minus 1 ounce equals 4 ounces. So, fill the 3-ounce bottle up with the 5-ounce bottle, and voila! You've got 4 ounces.

However, it's not so simple as that! Now that you've got 4 ounces of WATER, what are you going to do about the weight of the glass? Well, the obvious solution is add the same weight to the other side! As it so happens, a little searching in the room will procure you an extra empty 5-ounce bottle. Just add that to the scale as well, and there you have it. One key item and the door remains unlocked.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Spoiler for Dammit Zylos!:
No matter how much I tried to fix that damn thing (over 20 mins trying to get the right combos) I couldn't get the right solution! I thought I needed to take a bottle and replace it somehow with the empty bottle (to remove some water from play) or something like that... But I just couldn't figure out how!

(also, I think that the weight of the glass should have been about an ounce, just to save my sanity.

Thank God you're nice though, or I would have gone insane figuring it out... These puzzles are always the clincher for me... I can deal with sliding puzzles, matching puzzles, memory, pattern and music puzzles, but math? Dammit all when it comes to math...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 81
Why can't life kiss my ass instead of bite it??
to Sashikinaroji
I just thought of Die hard 3 and found the answer lol this puzzle gets used alot  ;)

to zylos
hey interesting short game. found it very easy though hehe
Had some nice ideas in there like the mirror, the "Pairs" music switches
(was a tad annoyin havin to wait for the tune to stop though lol) and the statue rotation one...took me ages to get it right.

My only pet peev which let it down a bit for me though was how the hero talks and explains everythin to himself like the door openin by itself and the candles that give no light. for me as a player I would have liked no explanations to certain things so it makes me think and not feel like im being spoon fed information.

Other than that it was pretty cool  ;D jolly good show old chap
would love to help you out with any other projects or test them!!
I have loads of time on my hands
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:38:46 PM by redhead87 »

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Yeah... see, the thing is, if I didn't stop to let the main character wonder about why the room was still dark even if the candles were lit, I would have gotten "Uh... why are there lit candles here but I'm still walking in darkness? Lol, programmer/logic fail!" rather than making the player curious or thoughtful. It helps accent the mystery and directs focus so that the player isn't going "Uh, wtf?", all while giving the main character a bit of personality instead of making him a completely silent protagonist.

Rep:
Level 81
Why can't life kiss my ass instead of bite it??
ahh see I would have like to have thought that about the lights. each to there own I suppose lol  ;)

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
I cant figure out what that stray book with the drawings in the corner of the library is for -_-
BTW nice game zylos

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
That, my friend, is a secret map of hidden areas in the game. Two of these areas are plot related and able to aid you in securing a good ending, and one is just a joke area I threw in for the fun of it. The challenge is to be able to read the map and figure out just where these secret passages are.

If you wind up being stumped, you can always send me a message and I'll give you a hint.

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
RMRK Junior
hello...
I'm new to RMXP... after looking at this game i get the idea to also make spotlight effect to my game... but could someone give me steps to make it...??? please...
I'm sorry if i did mistakes in asking... i don't know yet the rules of this forum.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
The game is unencrypted, just look at how Zylos did it.

Just make sure it's credited.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I need to update that link, it died ages ago.

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Ametuer
OMG the epicness!!!!!!!!!!! must...make...sequel!!!! *fursona throws brick at my head*

Beikay: you IDIOT!!! you need to ask for  PERMISSION first before you do something stupid like that!!

me: but bei... the epicness!!

Beikay: ask first!

Me: ok...

PLZ O PLZ!!!! this game is too awesome to be just one thing!! i would be honered if u gave me permission to make a sequel!!
plz? (O.O)
Join us on the best RP EVER!!! :D

To create, you must first destroy.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Uh, sure, if you really want to.

Thanks for reminding me to finally update the link for the unencrypted version. I added that to the first post underneath the regular download link. Same rules apply as last time for everyone, no directly copin' stuff or borrowing graphics and stuff without knowing where they came from. It's for use as a base for people to learn from, not as a resource goldmine.

http://www.mediafire.com/?x61p6eo1vhakc4s

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Ametuer
OMG DANKU SO MUCH!!!! ill do everything i can to make it awesome!!!

i played the game three times (four counting the first mess up OAO) and i got both the good and bad endings. and two things.. i know they're not important... but

1. would you beleive me if i said i got the good ending on the first try, and
2. would you beleive that when i first played the dragon warrior puzzle, i didnt know it was a puzzle and got it in about 2 min, but everytime afterward took about 20-30 min?

they arent important, i just want you to know how much i love the game!!

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
*loads shotgun* Say the word. Just say it Zylos.

Also I wish I was on a computer to play this, it looks amazing, and anything by Zylos must be good

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Ametuer
i wish you could play too...

but don't shoot me i have friends to look after.
personally, id say that Shadows, is the very DEFINITION of epicness.

(btw, started on the "unencrypted" version... i see no difference between the two.

Rep:
Level 97
There isn't. Unencrypted just means you can look at it in the editor and see the eventing and graphics and stuff.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Chill out my fellow fluffball. Try typing properly lol. And yeah algebra is right, just means you can see what he used and how he did it :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:33:47 PM by Mein Captein »

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Ametuer
oh...

...!!!

THAT'S SO COOL!!!!

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Most RMers don't do it though, because they're selfish and don't want their ideas being 'stolen'. Zylos is kind enough to let you know how he did what he did.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Doesn't matter either thanks to TCrpyt. Anyway, crackin Zylos, we loe you <3 etc

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Not everyone is creative enough to think about decrypting encrypted RM games. If someone's smart enough to be able to open up the encrypted version, they're probably smart enough to get their own resources easily enough themselves via resource sites like Ninesages or here on RMRK, where they aren't modified to my own game's needs. At any rate, an unencrypted version is nice to have for people wanting to know how a puzzle was done or what tint I used or etc, and I don't mind people looking at my stuff as long as they don't do anything stupid like taking credit for it.

...also, Gracie? Why are you aiming a giant party popper at her? o.o

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Ametuer
they're not being selfish! they just dont want anyone taking they're ideas w/o their permission thats all.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Which some may perceive as being selfish.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Also they post it on the Internet, it's going to be posted and ripped. All you can do is ask for credit and bung a creative commons on it.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
Buying a creative commons on it is relatively pointless anyway, because people rip it. The law is an obstacle, not a pathway.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
First off, I don't think it's selfish to encrypt your game to try to protect the resources and hard work that you did specifically for your game from being directly taken and slapped into someone else's project (especially if their project turns out to be a piece of crap). But again, I'm leaving it unencrypted so that people can learn from it. I've gotten a lot of PM's asking how to do things like the puzzles or the shadow effect, and it'll be good for people just starting out.

Secondly, let's not debate the encryption of games in my game thread here. There are better places for it, and it really doesn't matter for Shadows since I have both encrypted and unencrypted available.

Rep:
Level 97
You don't buy creative commons; they're just standard pre-drafted licences that you're free to use.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
(Last offtopic post here)
You don't buy creative commons; they're just standard pre-drafted licences that you're free to use.
I knew that, I just misread Gracie's post and decided to play along with my mind. Or something.
I don't think it's selfish to encrypt your game to try to protect the resources and hard work that you did specifically for your game
I agree, I was just pointing out how kind you were in a non-standard way. By which I mean, my fingers didn't type what my mind was thinking.

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Ametuer
im sorry to have caused such an uproar ^^U

but i agree w/ zylos, w/ the unencrypted version, u can larn quite a bit about the game and how to get certain stuff (like that second gag item that i CANNOT FIND!!! >:( )
and also how things work, like the light effect, it took me about an hour and a half of just scribbling and looking aroun JUST to find out how to do that. you can learn a lot from someone else's game. you just need to be careful and be sure to give full credit to the original owner if u wanna use one of their ideas.

Rep: +0/-0Level 41
RMRK Junior
Please upload a mirror the link is down

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Whoops. How long has that been down? x.x

Give me a bit to find the original copy and reupload it, I'm working from a new computer.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?