RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
PVP Debate

Poll

Should PVP Combat (player versus player) be open, flagged, restricted to certain 'arenas', or completely removed?

Open PVP
0 (0%)
PVP Flag
1 (20%)
PVP Arenas
4 (80%)
No PVP
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
this is always a subject of importance to an MMO.
a brief explanation of the PVP types is below.

Open PVP: Think WoW on this one.  Where you can walk around and gimp anybody you feel like, just cuz they're there. (assuming they're from the other faction)

Flagged PVP: Players can activate a PVP flag.  if it is Active, they accept any duels automatically.  If it is deactivated, you are unable to attack them unless they accept a duel.

PVP Arena: kinda like battlegrounds in WoW or Ballista in FFXI, where you enter an 'arena' where the PVP is set to open, or is based on teams.

No PVP: self explanitory.

I personally like Flagged PVP, it allows for options for the players, and still has that aspect of random fighting.  Arenas are cool, and should still be in the game, but limiting PVP to arenas makes it cumbersome.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
I'm okay with either Flagged or Arena.
Both are alright, maybe we should have both?

Except in an arena you get stuff for winning.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
that's a pretty good idea.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
I like both flagged and arena  ;8

Should there be different types of arenas?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
currently it's set so that you can't PVP until you are a certain level, I'm going to make it so that there is a /pvp on and /pvp off command, which turns your PVP flag on or off.

when you go to PVP, it'll check the flag instead of your level, to see if you can attack others or they can attack you.  Simple enough

as far as arenas go, there could be different maps, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'different arenas'

I'll also have to check your PVP flag before you're allowed into an arena

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Arenas as in modes, not maps.

But I really like the flag system, imo if there is a level requirement, it should be 5-10 so you don't get killed when you make a character.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
right, can't turn on PVP flag until level 10 was what I was thinking

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
I had thought about restricting PVP for the lower levels (for obvious reasons) and having only certain areas open for PvP.  So Flags and Arenas would be it for me.  For example, in some towns, you couldn't PvP.  But maybe inside a bar (LOL) where people get drunk, you could have combat.  Meheheh...

I think there should be free PvP combat, but also some special PvP events/arenas where you can win prizes.  We have to see how much we can do with the engine in this case.  But I am sure that, with some creativity, knowledge, skill and good planning, this can be done.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 10:27:39 PM by Starfish »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
the reason I support flagged PVP above all else, is to shut people up.
people who play WoW want to gank everyone in sight
well, they can, so long as the person has PVP enabled.

some people want a strict PVE experience
they can do that too.

Arenas and special events are a given

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Well, guys...  What do you say about combining PvP Flags and Arenas?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
that seems to be the general consensus