RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Rabid Mac fanboys vs. Rabid Windows fanboys (oh, and BOE, too)

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I thought it was pretty clear that I was saying looks are a factor.

Not the only thing, but a factor.

And I wasn't talking about shiny black finishes alone, either, I was also talking about how seamless and gorgeous the OS is as well.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91

Rep:
Level 89
And why can't OS's be art? Cars serve a purpose, too. They're made to transport us from place to place, and nothing else, really. So why do we make them look so damn beautiful?

Is it so wrong to want the same for anything else you own?

A watch is meant to tell time, and nothing else. Would you want an ugly watch, or a nice looking one?

You may not agree with what that all stands for, but the fact is you've probably bought things based on looks before.
Yeah... have ever looked at vista? its "looks" better than XP. I mean but what you mean by a car needs to look nice. People take more time to make it perform better. Vista is the car with old, used, and dysfunctional
parts. Making it run like crap. But looks really nice on the outside.

An Applefag can look at this because they would know that Vista sucks. As in commercials claiming that vista is not as good as it should of been and apple is better. Vista sucks... but apple is wrong with some of these problems. The worst problems are Crashing, and compatibility with vista sucks, and the virus paranoia. 

Rep:
Level 96
Right. OSX looks nice and runs well.

lol, I mean we spend almost the majority of this thread going through all the things that OSX does that every other system does, but the fact still remains that OSX ... does ... everything ever other system does, while running smoothly and looking really nice.

That's not to say Windows CAN'T run smoothly, though. Just that .... I've had eons of nightmares with Windows machines, and illegal operations, and blue screens of death. I haven't had any problems with my Mac yet.

Well, actually, that's not true. I have Windows XP on my Mac, and it crashed once or twice on my Mac. I even got a blue screen stop error once.
OSX has never crashed, though, or done anything that dramatic for me.

Just sayin'...

Fact is I still use Windows for my emulators and other games and stuff, but for everything else I find it's much easier to use it on the Mac OS.

This is just one users testimonial, and I got my first Mac exactly 1 year ago, after about 10 years of using Windows.
Your experience or opinions may differ, and that's okay.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 04:57:03 PM by Hei »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I agree with arlen. <_<

the reason why it matters is that mac displays these features as NEW and COOL. when i can get them for windows or linux and they do the same thing. mac needs to find a way of advertising properly without rubbish like this. i want them to be able to show benifits not features.

so this isn't valid in the mac vs pc argument because it doesnt matter the features listed are not new exciting or cool i can get them any time i want without changing to another operating system.
I don't give a damn how they advertise, but their products just WORK. All of these features are tied together. The steak is cooked the right way, it's been properly seasoned, it has the right sauce, and it tastes delicious. Sure, it may not be delicious to everyone, but we all have different taste. You may prefer the steak next door. But if you're next door trying to make their steak taste like the steak you prefer, isn't it time to just walk over to the other restaurant? It's never going to be as good as the original, and it's going to be messy.

to use your analogy of a steak. i dont expect to walk into a resturant promoting its "new cool exclusive sauce" and to be able to go make it at home or find it in a supermarket.
It's not going to be the same sauce. Sure, it may have some of the same ingredients, but it's a different brand.

Rep:
Level 89
I never had the blue screen or illegal operation problems with XP. Same goes with Vista. The only time that theirs a problem if everything stop working. Macs we know "don't crash" but if it happens there way to prepare. They should install a real turn off button. The thing about Macs is they also don't have a know virus.
Linux also doesn't have viruses. Making that a target for apple. Anti-virus or other protection software is
paranoid. Or just windows itself. My schools computer are run down by so many firewalls its not even funny.
A problem i see with macs is i don't know anybody with a mac. So my source of how a mac runs is at school.
There macs run like crap. So that my opinion about macs. There better than that. Or are they really slow?

Rep:
Level 96
I never had the blue screen or illegal operation problems with XP. Same goes with Vista. The only time that theirs a problem if everything stop working. Macs we know "don't crash" but if it happens there way to prepare. They should install a real turn off button. The thing about Macs is they also don't have a know virus.
Linux also doesn't have viruses. Making that a target for apple. Anti-virus or other protection software is
paranoid. Or just windows itself. My schools computer are run down by so many firewalls its not even funny.
A problem i see with macs is i don't know anybody with a mac. So my source of how a mac runs is at school.
There macs run like crap. So that my opinion about macs. There better than that. Or are they really slow?
Macs do have physical turn off buttons, what the hell are you talking about?
Also, OSX does have the equivalent to ctrl+alt+delete, where you can force quit unresponsive programs.
My Mac is very fast.

I couldn't understand anything else you typed.

Rep:
Level 89
Also, OSX does have the equivalent to ctrl+alt+delete, where you can force quit unresponsive programs.
My Mac is very fast.

It must the older ones that don't have a off switch.

The second question was are you taking care of your mac and do you know anyone else with a mac?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 05:35:59 PM by Kefka »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
My Mac is very fast.

old
That's the reason they run slow.

Rep:
Level 89

That's the reason they run slow.
i've only noticed that in this debate were comparing Mac OSX and Windows Operating systems.
well here one question. why do you need a duel boot system to run windows and Mac OSX leopard?

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
hei is talking sense :D!

are there any performance graphs?

irock advertising and the attitude towards their advertising by apple is annoying. your also still missing the point about macs built in software. your buying into a set of features that you can get elsewhere for free or for very cheap.

if i want a handful of grass do i pay someone to do it or just go pick it myself

Rep:
Level 96
I tried downloading Blackbox, and it asked me if I wanted to replace my default shell.

I got scared and said no.

Rep:
Level 89

irock advertising and the attitude towards their advertising by apple is annoying. your also still missing the point about macs built in software. your buying into a set of features that you can get elsewhere for free or for very cheap.

if i want a handful of grass do i pay someone to do it or just go pick it myself
To run the software you need good hardware. The key of this debate was rather AppleFags should shut up
about Mac being better or let them whine. Macs are getting better but they are also becoming more expensive. The mac has to exceed the expectations of people that are paying. So they include programs that make the consumer satisfied.  

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
I tried downloading Blackbox, and it asked me if I wanted to replace my default shell.

I got scared and said no.

You can quit Blackbox at any time and it just go straight back to your original taskbar, ect

you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 96
I'll put it on my Mac, lol, so I'll have spaces on both OSs.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
I think BB is windows only :x

Edit: Oh you mean your windows partition  :-X

Rep:
Level 102

PCs/Windows cost money too.

And you're not getting that it won't be the same.

This debate isn't about which is better, it's about which is better for some people, which is completely stupid. Someone who hates Macs, especially the ones that have never used one, can never accept that it's impossible to match the Mac experience. If you think you can turn Windows into Leopard, try it. I'd like to see how that turns out, because it isn't going to be even close.

Rep:
Level 98
Again, sorry for looking retarded. I guess I didn't like using OSX because I was too used to windows. I didn't notice that much of a difference in simplicity or it being easier to use, I mean it does have more features but I didn't find myself using most of them.

I had to use OSX for about 2 months last year, the laptop died and I had to use my brothers.

Rep:
Level 102
Again, sorry for looking retarded. I guess I didn't like using OSX because I was too used to windows. I didn't notice that much of a difference in simplicity or it being easier to use, I mean it does have more features but I didn't find myself using most of them.

I had to use OSX for about 2 months last year, the laptop died and I had to use my brothers.
Right, but we all have different taste.

Also, did you use Tiger or Leopard or a version older than that? ;x

Rep:
Level 98

Right, but we all have different taste.

Also, did you use Tiger or Leopard or a version older than that? ;x

I don't really mean tastes, I was saying that I didn't notice much. If I would have used it more than I might have gotten more used to it, but I felt like I had a whole lot more control over a windows system. Now that can be debated and i'm not being 100% literal, I just felt like I would have more control over a PC.

It was Leopard.

Rep:
Level 96
Okay, I tried this blackbox thing.

I opened TabIt. Then I clicked the tiny button to switch over the beta. Now Tabit's in Beta...?
I switched over the Gamma. TabIt's still up.
I switched over the Delta. TabIt's still up.
I switched over to alpha again. TabIt vanishes.
It's not in Beta. It's not in Gamma. Oh, it ... stayed in Delta?
NO! Because when I click it, it disappears!
... I click the bar at the bottom and it pops back up. I click on the window POOF gone again.

What the hell?

It took me like 20 seconds to figure out how to close it. Plus my desktop icons are background image are gone...

And how do you turn it off?

Rep:
Level 89

This debate isn't about which is better, it's about which is better for some people, which is completely stupid. Someone who hates Macs, especially the ones that have never used one, can never accept that it's impossible to match the Mac experience. If you think you can turn Windows into Leopard, try it. I'd like to see how that turns out, because it isn't going to be even close.
Yes Windows cost money. But a lot less than a New Mac.

The Mac is not easier to use. If the debate is about the what people like and people don't like. Then why do you judge that mac is still better. You need to think about what you like about the Mac and what could they improve. You shouldn't type whats good about the mac and bad about windows. Window Vista is flawed but also think about what could be flawed about Mac OSX leopard. The experience is little different
according to my experience, i couldn't find the calculator on the emac.

Rep:
Level 96
Move the mouse into the lower left hand corner. OH THERE IT IS.

Is that really any more difficult that start -> applications -> accessories -> system tools or whatever the hell it is?

Rep:
Level 102

Yes Windows cost money. But a lot less than a New Mac.

The Mac is not easier to use. If the debate is about the what people like and people don't like. Then why do you judge that mac is still better. You need to think about what you like about the Mac and what could they improve. You shouldn't type whats good about the mac and bad about windows. Window Vista is flawed but also think about what could be flawed about Mac OSX leopard. The experience is little different
according to my experience, i couldn't find the calculator on the emac.
Once again IT ISN'T ABOUT WHICH IS BETTER< BECAUSE THAT'S A DEBATE NEITHER SIDE IS GOING TO WIN. It depends on which works better for YOU. You should stick to Linux since you can't figure out how to open calculator.

And I doubt you were using Leopard.

Rep:
Level 96
Move the mouse into the lower left hand corner. OH THERE IT IS.

Is that really any more difficult that start -> applications -> accessories -> system tools or whatever the hell it is?
Oh, there's also a full calculator on the Mac.

It's in the applications folder. Which is where a person would normally look for a calculator.

There's also a graphing calculator in the applications -> utilities folder. 2D and 3D.

It kind of sounds like you didn't try very hard to find them.