RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Rabid Mac fanboys vs. Rabid Windows fanboys (oh, and BOE, too)

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Most Mature Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
I meant to say modern operating systems are lame.

<33
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
                Why is it always Mac v Windos? ._.

• Spotlight - Spotlight in OS X is better than ANY search tool I've seen yet. It's REALLY fast, it's simple, it searches my whole hard drive, (unlike Vista's start menu search bar) it does math equations without the need for a separate application, and it gives me definitions WITH Wikipedia articles. These things I want and need. All of this is presented to you quickly.
Ubuntu too.

• Help Search - As shown in this video, it's easy to find items in programs and folders. There's really not an easier or quicker way to do it. I'm certain I've spent at least a total of a fraction of a year trying to find things in Windows.
Yes.

• Spaces - Spaces is a great way to multitask. When using Leopard, I found myself flipping from space to space, all without the need for minimizing Windows. This may not be something everyone would use, but I found it to be a useful feature.
Ubuntu has this too. Right now I have 2 desktops.

• Time Machine - Backing up files has never been easier. A few times a month I delete a file that I should have saved, and wind up regretting it later. With Time Machine I can retrieve that file EASILY.
Yes.

• Zoom - I have bad eyes, and I need to zoom every now and then.
Wel... I can make my windows invisible.  :mad:
EDIT- Holy shit, I can zoom... I didn't know that.

• Quiet - The iMac had to be the most quiet computer I had ever used. My computer won't ever shut up, and I have to sleep with this thing on.
My PC is acutally really quit. The only time is starts getting noisy is when I'm playing games, and that's only after some time passes.

• Looks - This isn't really a decider for me, but some of you are all "YEAH MAN I GOT A SUPER CASE WITH A WINDOW ON IT AND IT GLOWS BLUE AND IT'S PRETTY." Macs are, in my opinion, the most gorgeous computers on the market. 1 2 3
I think my PC is pretty. >_>  Presario [/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 03:04:43 AM by BanisherOfEden »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 89

• Spotlight - Spotlight in OS X is better than ANY search tool I've seen yet. It's REALLY fast, it's simple, it searches my whole hard drive, (unlike Vista's start menu search bar) it does math equations without the need for a separate application, and it gives me definitions WITH Wikipedia articles. These things I want and need. All of this is presented to you quickly.
everything i use is on the desktop or quick launch

• Help Search - As shown in this video, it's easy to find items in programs and folders. There's really not an easier or quicker way to do it. I'm certain I've spent at least a total of a fraction of a year trying to find things in Windows.
*cough* shortcuts *cough*

• Spaces - Spaces is a great way to multitask. When using Leopard, I found myself flipping from space to space, all without the need for minimizing Windows. This may not be something everyone would use, but I found it to be a useful feature.
well what am going to do with the .5 second spare?

• Time Machine - Backing up files has never been easier. A few times a month I delete a file that I should have saved, and wind up regretting it later. With Time Machine I can retrieve that file EASILY.
I found my stuff after a factory restore. the file was called windows.old

• Zoom - I have bad eyes, and I need to zoom every now and then.
zooms on every OS

• Looks - This isn't really a decider for me, but some of you are all "YEAH MAN I GOT A SUPER CASE WITH A WINDOW ON IT AND IT GLOWS BLUE AND IT'S PRETTY." Macs are, in my opinion, the most gorgeous computers on the market. 1 2 3
If you look at something for its looks...then why don't you have vista.

[/quote]

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
    Quote from: Boe
    Ubuntu too.
    Linux's search solves math equations and gives definitions along with Wikipedia entries? >_>

I don't like the cube. Seems like a bucnh of eye candy, but if you say so. \(O_o)/

Wait, aren't cubes 6 sided? Can you have more than six virtual desktops?

My PC is acutally really quit. The only time is starts getting noisy is when I'm playing games, and that's only after some time passes.
    IS IT AS QUIET AS THE IMAC!?

I think my PC is pretty. >_>  Presario [/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
    LOL COMPAQ.

Quote from: Kefka
    *cough* shortcuts *cough*
    You can't have shortcuts to content within a program.

well what am going to do with the .5 second spare?
    Time adds up.

zooms on every OS
    What zooms onto every OS? >_>

If you look at something for its looks...then why don't you have vista.
    I don't look at something for it's looks. Note how I said "This isn't really a decider for me." And I DO currently have Vista, even though it's ugly.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Rep:
    Level 96
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
      Quote from: Boe
      Ubuntu too.
      Linux's search solves math equations and gives definitions along with Wikipedia entries? >_>

No... but I have a calculator button on my keyboard. =3

I don't like the cube. Seems like a bucnh of eye candy, but if you say so. \(O_o)/
      Wait, aren't cubes 6 sided? Can you have more than six virtual desktops?

I don't have that. I just have a simple panel at the bottom.

IS IT AS QUIET AS THE IMAC!?

Unless there's quieter then no noise at all, then yes.[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
      &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Resident Cloud
      Rep:
      Level 91
      google search toolbar much?
      Google toolbar is only in web browsers, and only works while connected to the internet. Mac OS X's Spotlight works regardless of your internet connection.

err http://desktop.google.com/ it searches my files using the google method which is kinda the best y'know.
      most apllications have this i dont see how this is relevant
      Not every program has that, and it's MUCH quicker to use the built in program search. I mean, come on, it's always at the top of the screen. No need to launch an extra window. It also shows you exactly where it's located, for future reference.
      err what. lol
      linux by default has this and windows has so many addons that can do it. with my pc its built into the hardware i have two monitor ports i plug in another monitor and i get dual screen in other words 2 "spaces"
      Give me some examples of these programs, and we'll determine if they're good or not. From what I've heard, they all suck. And most people don't have the money to blow for  multiple monitors

well mostly http://www.beryl-project.org/. cant install linux to try it oh boo hoo.
      http://www.muukka.net/multidesktop/
      http://www.cubedesktop.com/
      http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/
      http://www.shelltoys.com/virtual_desktop/index.html

my recycle bin gets emptied like once every 3 months... however im sure there are windows alternatives.
      Find a windows alternative or don't say there is one.
      http://code.google.com/p/flyback/
      i can find more but ill just throw wikipedia at you instead
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backup_software#Free_Software
      err http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c69/iframe/zoom.jpg :D
      If you would have read this thread, or tried OS X, you would know that the Windows magnifier isn't even close to being the same thing.[/quote]
      ive seen a video :D.
      http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Screen_Capture_Tools/Zoom___Software_to_magnify_and_capture_the_screen.html
      oh look microsoft made one http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897434.aspx

... wear headphones :D.
      I don't like headphones. That's just an inconvenience.
      http://www.buildsilentpc.com/
      dont complain about cost its future proof because you can upgrade the pc.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q-k0gbyaMQ is much better yet i wouldnt have both in my room give me something with the leasts lights possible plx.
      It's about your personal taste. I believe the iMac looks better.
      too right too. but even chris pirillo doesnt like the glowy apple logo.

@hei, sure spaces may be good :D. try some of the windows alternatives or a standard install of linux sometime. see if you like them better or worse :D
      * ahref bows

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 06:55:01 AM by ahref »

Rep:
      Level 102
      2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
      jhkSjhk:ASjhJGHAD"HKLADSHKLAJDKLADSJKLADS"JKLADSJKL"ADSJK"ADSJKLADS

GOD SHUT UP

MACS JUST WORK.

IT JUST WORKS.

I DON'T WANT TO INSTALL 4,000 PROGRAMS TO GET MY COMPUTER TO BE USEABLE.

Rep:
      Level 97
      Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
      I like windows

Resident Cloud
      Rep:
      Level 91
      irock you did. when you bought a mac you installed those programs. ive provided you the links thats the hard part :D. dont complain about stuff not being built in.

moew
      Rep:
      Level 91
      Queen Princess
      2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
      The reason I want a mac is cos pretty
      :taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
      Level 102
      irock you did. when you bought a mac
      I never bought a mac.

you installed those programs.
      These features are pre-installed on a mac, and I KNOW they work correctly. I know they aren't going to eat all of my CPU, or suck.

ive provided you the links thats the hard part :D.
      It's a hastle, all for programs I don't even know will work right.

dont complain about stuff not being built in.
      Why? It makes a difference for me. You shouldn't have to add your own seasoning to a steak in a restaurant just to make it better, especially when you could just go to a better restaurant next door.

Rep:
      Level 97
      Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
      steak in a restaurant
      You just broke a Texan's heart Irock ;9

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
      Rep:
      Level 102
      (っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
      2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
      I thought the entire point that anybody even still uses windows is the literally millions of programs and etc natively available for it. I know that's why I do, some of which programs let me customise my windows exactly how I want it =)

I will be a bit baffled if somebody now comes in and points out that you can infact run windows on a mac. They even point it out in their advertising. It's easy enough nowadays to run OSX on a standard PC too. The OSx86 project has come a long way =o. I wonder why pretty much nobody bothers though? =)
      bringing sexy back

Rep:
      Level 96
      2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
      Maybe it's because people don't run Macs for the programs, but for the OS, its interface, and how easy it is to use.
      Same's true for the iPhone.

Most programs are cross platform, anyway.

But hey, as long as you don't hate the hardware, and just the fanboys, it's all okay, huh? =)
      « Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 02:44:17 PM by Hei »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Resident Cloud
      Rep:
      Level 91
      irock. those extra features will eat up your CPU and RAM by default. they run.

Why? It makes a difference for me. You shouldn't have to add your own seasoning to a steak in a restaurant just to make it better, especially when you could just go to a better restaurant next door.

the reason why it matters is that mac displays these features as NEW and COOL. when i can get them for windows or linux and they do the same thing. mac needs to find a way of advertising properly without rubbish like this. i want them to be able to show benifits not features.

so this isn't valid in the mac vs pc argument because it doesnt matter the features listed are not new exciting or cool i can get them any time i want without changing to another operating system. to use your analogy of a steak. i dont expect to walk into a resturant promoting its "new cool exclusive sauce" and to be able to go make it at home or find it in a supermarket.

@hei, i see your point here however perhaps some people dont realise just how customizeable windows and linux are. I can make my pc look like mac quite easily. Less technically minded people need some protection against shiny stuff that looks cool making them make a decision about a product that is required to do tasks. OSs are not art.

Rep:
      Level 96
      God, this is worse than elitist debate.

Rep:
      Level 98
      2010 Best Veteran2014 Most Mature Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
      I've sort of lost track of this argument.

Resident Cloud
      Rep:
      Level 91
      its not an arugment. i just want people to think and look behind the macs shiny finish :D.

Rep:
      Level 98
      wat

I've realized that I just hate the people, not the OS.

Well, I hate the people and the OS price. :B

pokeball :)OfflineMale
      Cheese
      Rep:
      Level 95
      ?
      :o

I thought it was insanely hard to install OSX on anything non-mac.....too bad I already paid for vista :(
      Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
      Level 98

Rep:
      Level 96
      I meant to say modern operating systems are lame.

<33
      That's so incredibly hideous.

Rep:
      Level 96
      And why can't OS's be art? Cars serve a purpose, too. They're made to transport us from place to place, and nothing else, really. So why do we make them look so damn beautiful?

Is it so wrong to want the same for anything else you own?

A watch is meant to tell time, and nothing else. Would you want an ugly watch, or a nice looking one?

You may not agree with what that all stands for, but the fact is you've probably bought things based on looks before.

Rep:
      Level 98
      Are you just trying to say that people would buy OS X for looks?

I think this topic ran out of fire already.

Resident Cloud
      Rep:
      Level 91
      true. but its bad if you base it only on its looks.

eg. this watch has diamond and gold everywhere yet its hands are so heavy they cant move

no im saying that its what draws a lot of people in.