RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Rabid Mac fanboys vs. Rabid Windows fanboys (oh, and BOE, too)

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Here's what Irocks' doing:

I like Macs, and this is why. :) :)

Here's what you're doing:

I like Windows, AND MACS ARE FUCKING USELESS MACHINES AND I FUCKING HATE THEM DIE MACS DIE

I disagree. I'm giving evidence to back up my statements as well? I'm trying to argue, and I'm clearly not just saying "HAET MAC EVERYONE WHO USES THEM MUST DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH BECUZ THEY R ALL FGTS"

THE FIRST FUCKING THING YOU SAID IN THIS THREAD WAS

WHERE'S THE EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THAT ARGUMENT, HUH?

GET. THE. FUCK. OUT. OF. THIS. THREAD.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
I was joking.  ;9
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
The search bar in the start menu doesn't search your whole hard drive. Using spotlight is faster than having to open a new window, configure how you want your search, and search. You don't need calculator on OS X, all you have to do is type it in the spotlight bar, and you instantly get results. It's quicker and more simple.

Yes it does search your whole hard drive, there is nothing else to search!
Mine doesn't

It's faster than having to search through every sub-menu to find a render in Photoshop. I guess only retarded people want to get things done faster?

I don't use Photoshop, so if you could give me a more applicable example I might be more inclined to believe you.
Anything that you can't find in a program can be found with a simple search bar at the top. There's no need to provide more examples, because it's the same for every program.

That doesn't back up files, it just backs up all of your system files and programs. With time machine I can back up single files without restarting.

It does back up all your files. @_@
If I deleted a text file I could restore to yesterday and get it back? If I can, I'd lose any programs I installed or settings I changed. :|

Because we all want big sidebars for zooming, right? In OS X you can zoom the whole screen in and out. That's just a seperate sidebar, window that displays everything near the mouse, but zoomed in. OS X's is much more useable.

I'm sorry you are blind, you can expand the zoom to the whole screen.
Which results in the equivalent of a video I can't interact with.

But you KNOW these are quiet before you buy them.

Most computers are quiet, i'd imagine that you could just spend about 5 to 10 dollars buying a new fan incase one starts screeching.
But Macs are MORE quiet.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
Mine doesn't

I forgot you used Vista e3e;;

Anything that you can't find in a program can be found with a simple search bar at the top. There's no need to provide more examples, because it's the same for every program.

You're not being very clear, what exactly does it search for? Does it go through each tab and find where it is labeled what you searched for?

If I deleted a text file I could restore to yesterday and get it back? If I can, I'd lose any programs I installed or settings I changed. :|

I'm not sure how to argue that, I suppose it does have that advantage, seems like it would take up alot of hard drive space to back everything up on.

So it takes about 3 more seconds to reopen the magnifying window and set the zoom level, jeeze. It's not like you can't do anything in the zoom window.

But Macs are MORE quiet.

... I can't hear my computer at ALL, and it has 5 fans running at medium speed.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll

You're not being very clear, what exactly does it search for? Does it go through each tab and find where it is labeled what you searched for?
Yes, watch the video.

So it takes about 3 more seconds to reopen the magnifying window and set the zoom level, jeeze. It's not like you can't do anything in the zoom window.
You have to admit, OS X's zoom functionality is far more usable than Window's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3xHHKc9dFA

But Macs are MORE quiet.

... I can't hear my computer at ALL, and it has 5 fans running at medium speed.
And I couldn't hear the iMac at all. D:<

Rep:
Level 98
Well folks, it seems that OSX and Windows have their differences, obviously.

Some people find OSX to be easier to use, and that their userbase is generally die hard. :V

Some people find Windows better to handle technically and to program on.

Sorry for looking stupid, but I mostly argue about Macs because I like getting Irock to argue back, aka basic trolling 101. I don't want to hear about them every other post Irock. We know you're getting a Mac, we don't need you to tell us every feature when they are clearly displayed every other turn.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I don't like the shitty marketing. The number of times that small advances are proclaimed as "revolutionary" or "breakthrough", and countless mac-addicts fall for it and sink another $1,000 on a minor product refresh. I guess I don't like seeing so much money going to waste or people being so mindless.

Take my PC, I have a 6 year old CPU, 5 year old graphics card. I just stepped up its performance quite cheaply by taking out the CPU and dropping a significantly faster one in, I took out my budget card and put a more powerful one in, and I bought another gig of memory. Total cost?  Like $60. You could get away with the memory I guess, can you even change that in in imac? I could bring this up to somewhat modern standards for gaming by putting a radeon 19xx AGP card in here, which I could find for like $40 nowadays or something silly. You want more from your mac? you have to buy a new one. I know you could simply continue using your old one, but all the apple users you ever see are the ones who have become brand loyalists who wouldn't want to be seen dead with an outdated one. That'd be so untrendy, man.

The point is each mac or apple product is made obsolete usually in under even just a single year. Almost all of their drones really do buy the new shit each and every time an ever-so-slightly improved, yet touted as revolutionary breakthrougyness new version comes out. Go see how many first gen iphones are for sale, now that the second gen iphone is out.

Mentioning the iphone and coming back to the marketing, the initial payment is hardly the defining cost of a (contract only) phone, and over the course of the contract, the new 3G iphone is not cheaper than the first one, nor even equal, it ends up more expensive.

As for OSX Vs Windows, I like my windows and I'm used to it, and (honestly, with not much effort) it's easy for me to get my XP install to look, act, function and feel exactly how I want it to. Which I have done. If I had to use a mac, I think I'd spent almost all of my time running XP on it.

If it ever happens, I'm interested in what'll happen when apple is no longer the hipster "oh I'm so different from everyone else" option, and they become mainstream.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:55:28 PM by Roach »
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
Well folks, it seems that OSX and Windows have their differences, obviously.

Some people find OSX to be easier to use, and that their userbase is generally die hard. :V

Some people find Windows better to handle technically and to program on.

Sorry for looking stupid, but I mostly argue about Macs because I like getting Irock to argue back, aka basic trolling 101. I don't want to hear about them every other post Irock. We know you're getting a Mac, we don't need you to tell us every feature when they are clearly displayed every other turn.

Oh stop acting like you're doing a service, this is a fucking THREAD MADE for talking about MACS. That's why Irock is talking about Macs, here. He could have easily made his post somewhere else, or in a new thread, and then you would actually have a point. But he didn't. He posted it HERE, in a thread ABOUT MACS. In no other thread ANYWHERE have I seen Irock talk about Macs, and he didn't even make THIS thread!

If you can't stand people (Irock) talking about Macs, then maybe you should get the fuck out of the Mac thread.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:06:40 PM by Hei »

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
:)

well put, Roph. I agree with you on the fact that they upgrade their products too much, simply because they originally aren't top of the line. ( i assume thats done on purpose) I doubt apple didn't have enough power to release the first gen iphone as the 3 model.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 102
I don't like the shitty marketing. The number of times that small advances are proclaimed as "revolutionary" or "breakthrough", and countless mac-addicts fall for it and sink another $1,000 on a minor product refresh. I guess I don't like seeing so much money going to waste or people being so mindless.

Take my PC, I have a 6 year old CPU, 5 year old graphics card. I just stepped up its performance quite cheaply by taking out the CPU and dropping a significantly faster one in, I took out my budget card and put a more powerful one in, and I bought another gig of memory. Total cost?  Like $60. You could get away with the memory I guess, can you even change that in in imac? I could bring this up to somewhat modern standards for gaming by putting a radeon 19xx AGP card in here, which I could find for like $40 nowadays or something silly. You want more from your mac? you have to buy a new one. I know you could simply continue using your old one, but all the apple users you ever see are the ones who have become brand loyalists who wouldn't want to be seen dead with an outdated one. That'd be so untrendy, man.

The point is each mac or apple product is made obsolete usually in under even just a single year. Almost all of their drones really do buy the new shit each and every time an ever-so-slightly improved, yet touted as revolutionary breakthrougyness new version comes out. Go see how many first gen iphones are for sale, now that the second gen iphone is out.

Mentioning the iphone and coming back to the marketing, the initial payment is hardly the defining cost of a (contract only) phone, and over the course of the contract, the new 3G iphone is not cheaper than the first one, nor even equal, it ends up more expensive.

As for OSX Vs Windows, I like my windows and I'm used to it, and (honestly, with not much effort) it's easy for me to get my XP install to look, act, function and feel exactly how I want it to. Which I have done. If I had to use a mac, I think I'd spent almost all of my time running XP on it.

If it ever happens, I'm interested in what'll happen when apple is no longer the hipster "oh I'm so different from everyone else" option, and they become mainstream.
I'm not a fan of their prices, their marketing, or the majority of their fanbase either, but I simply enjoyed their product. I don't care if my Mac isn't "cool" anymore. I just want the best experience possible.

As for them updating their hardware, I agree, but I'm not going to buy the latest octacore processor just because it's better. I upgrade when I need to. =p

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
I know this might seem silly >_>

The only thing i don't like about Macs is the mouse >-<

Rep:
Level 102
Really? I think the mouse is pretty good.

You can always buy OTHER mouses. They work with Macs too.

Rep:
Level 96
In before Asuka runs in and yells "WINDOWS CAN USE OTHER MOUSES TOO"

JEEZ IROCK STOP TALKING ABOUT MACS EVERY SINGLE POST OMG

Rep:
Level 98
WINDOWS CAN USE OTHER MOUSES OMG MACS SUX ARLNS MAD  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
I dont like the hole one clic thing =/

But yeah i would get a new mouse.

Rep:
Level 96
The Macs we have in our music lab have Mac mouses that do, in fact, have two buttons.

Well, it's one button, per se, but if you press down on the right side of it it functions like you're pressing a right button.

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

Rep:
Level 98
OMG THAT MOUS IS SO GAY WTF  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Rep:
Level 102
All Mighty Mice have a right click. =o

Rep:
Level 96
The mighty mouse is actually the standard mouse that's been shipping in all Apple computers for the last 3 years.

And actually, it has 4 buttons. Left, right, you can click on 360 degree trackball for a third button, and the squeeze buttons on the side.

All buttons are assignable.

Though technically there's only one button on the top for left, middle, and right. Pressure sensors can tell which one you're trying to click, even though there's really just one "button."

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
ill step in :D:

* Spotlight - Spotlight in OS X is better than ANY search tool I've seen yet. It's REALLY fast, it's simple, it searches my whole hard drive, (unlike Vista's start menu search bar) it does math equations without the need for a separate application, and it gives me definitions WITH Wikipedia articles. These things I want and need. All of this is presented to you quickly.

google search toolbar much?

* Help Search - As shown in this video, it's easy to find items in programs and folders. There's really not an easier or quicker way to do it. I'm certain I've spent at least a total of a fraction of a year trying to find things in Windows.
most apllications have this i dont see how this is relevant

* Spaces - Spaces is a great way to multitask. When using Leopard, I found myself flipping from space to space, all without the need for minimizing Windows. This may not be something everyone would use, but I found it to be a useful feature.

most linux distros have beryl which is the same as spaces yet in a cube and yes a cube has 6 faces so it has exactly the same number of windows as "spaces".windows has so many addons that can do it http://www.otakusoftware.com/deskspace/index.html if you want the beryl feel yet it now costs money again thats no arugment against just getting deskspace based on what roph says and the prices of macs you macers are loaded. with my pc its built into the hardware i have two monitor ports i plug in another monitor and i get dual screen in other words 2 "spaces"

* Time Machine - Backing up files has never been easier. A few times a month I delete a file that I should have saved, and wind up regretting it later. With Time Machine I can retrieve that file EASILY.

my recycle bin gets emptied like once every 3 months... however im sure there are windows alternatives.
    * Zoom - I have bad eyes, and I need to zoom every now and then.

err http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c69/iframe/zoom.jpg :D.

* Quiet - The iMac had to be the most quiet computer I had ever used. My computer won't ever shut up, and I have to sleep with this thing on.

... wear headphones :D.

* Looks - This isn't really a decider for me, but some of you are all "YEAH MAN I GOT A SUPER CASE WITH A WINDOW ON IT AND IT GLOWS BLUE AND IT'S PRETTY." Macs are, in my opinion, the most gorgeous computers on the market. 1 2 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q-k0gbyaMQ is much better yet i wouldnt have both in my room give me something with the leasts lights possible plx.

to clarify. I do not, not like macs. I do not like windows. I do not like linux. Im gonna try them all and stick with the one i like the most.

dont give me crap about macs having some of the things built in to them when you install them. Its software it doesnt count. Look at the ammount of software a livecd has on it.

sorry for big post :(

also:

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/.

why does  a mouse need a touch sensor. 2 buttons work fine inputing new technology into a device thats worked for years is pointless. also "more precision" its a mouse i have my hand on it if it aint going where i want it to i adjust it. Just like a car i supose yet an old lady would be more upset if i hit her then if i acidentally blocked her on msn.

----- that aside ---

nouman you bought that home built top of the range pc and a mac or turned the home built into a mac(installing leopard)?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:40:41 PM by ahref »

Rep:
Level 102
google search toolbar much?
Google toolbar is only in web browsers, and only works while connected to the internet. Mac OS X's Spotlight works regardless of your internet connection.

most apllications have this i dont see how this is relevant
Not every program has that, and it's MUCH quicker to use the built in program search. I mean, come on, it's always at the top of the screen. No need to launch an extra window. It also shows you exactly where it's located, for future reference.

linux by default has this and windows has so many addons that can do it. with my pc its built into the hardware i have two monitor ports i plug in another monitor and i get dual screen in other words 2 "spaces"
Give me some examples of these programs, and we'll determine if they're good or not. From what I've heard, they all suck. And most people don't have the money to blow for  multiple monitors

my recycle bin gets emptied like once every 3 months... however im sure there are windows alternatives.
Find a windows alternative or don't say there is one.

err http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c69/iframe/zoom.jpg :D
If you would have read this thread, or tried OS X, you would know that the Windows magnifier isn't even close to being the same thing.

... wear headphones :D.
I don't like headphones. That's just an inconvenience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q-k0gbyaMQ is much better yet i wouldnt have both in my room give me something with the leasts lights possible plx.
It's about your personal taste. I believe the iMac looks better.

Rep:
Level 96
Spaces works with Dual Monitors, too. So instead of 4 spaces, you'd have 8.
Well, actually, you can have up to 16 spaces with just one monitor, so with two you can have 32. :D
Even though that's kind of overkill, lol.

The reason why I love spaces so much is because, well, it's so easy!
I have the lower left corner set to the space screen. I have firefox set to load in space one, dreamweaver to space 2, TabIt to space 3, etc...
These are all programs that take up the whole screen, so if I want to switch between them, all I need to do is move my mouse to the lower left corner, and then click on the space I want. It's so incredibly smooth and seamless, and it's just plain nicer than having to shuffle through maximizing and minimizing windows or alt-tabbing until I get to the one I want.

It really came in handy when I was building my webpage. I had the page loaded in firefox, and I was working on it in Dreamweaver, and Photoshop was open in its own space as well. I'd work in photoshop, switch over to the Dreamweaver space, throw the image in, save it, and swing over to the firefox space and reload to see how it looked. I didn't have to touch the keyboard once.

You can say whatever you want, I love it.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I used to have a BlackBook and it was nice, I just wish the video card was better.

If they made a tablet pc for $1200 like HP did, with comparable specs, I'd get it, and run boot camp, but they don't, and the only tablets are modbooks that cost $2200 and don't come close hardware wise

I personally hate 'all' fanbois and fangirls, regardless of their cause, because of how god damned annoying they are.  Not only that but the marketing campaigns are annoying, and their control over their corner of the market is also annoying (yet brutally effective), as are the prices.

So in all, I agree with what Roph said on page one.  I don't dislike the products, I dislike the people.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 98
Operating Systems are lame.

Use OS/2

Rep:
Level 96
Operating Systems are lame.

Use OS/2
OS stands for "operating system" ...