RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
VX Mine Mapping Tutorial

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
VX MINE MAPPING TUTORIAL
This tutorial will teach you how to map a mine, with screenshots and stuff.

Aye, Welcome to Levent's mapping tutorial! Today we will be learning on how to map a MINE! Yay!
The first thing to know, is which tiles to use.

The Tiles
Spoiler for These are the tiles.:

These tiles and some rock tiles are sufficient enough to make a full mine, and of course events that will be shown in the later screenshot.

Mapping Procedure

First, make a rough sketch on how the mine would be using the cave wall and cave floor tiles. Try to always remember that
nature is random and thus they are NOT STRAIGHT.
Here is a good example:
Spoiler for The layout:
And here is a bad example :
Spoiler for NONONONO:
See the difference?

Number Two, is to make the cave walls look as if someone has actually used the place as a mine. Time to use the planks!
Note that this step is quite crucial on creating the mine atmosphere.
Spoiler for Mine Walls:

Next, which is the most time-consuming is the construction / placement of the railways for mine carts. But of course, not every single part
of the mine need to have them. This is shown just for an example how to do it.
Spoiler for Almost done, hang in thar!:
Please be reminded that you can put switches for railway puzzles near these rails, to add more quality to the gameplay.

The last step, which is may be different between rpg makers are the finishing touches. Add rocks, piles of dirt and stone, dig marks, and
basically anything to your maps to make it look and act better for your game. Events are also always an option, like lanterns and miners.
Spoiler for Finishing touches are important.:

And this is what I've come up with:
Spoiler for Ingame:
Notice I used a tint screen effect, mainly because the location of the mine now is near a magma pit.
Of course, a dark tint screen is also a good choice to add a dark underground effect.

And that's the end of the tutorial, arrr!

Aye, I hope that you learned something from this tutorial and be able to take some of my suggestions and ideas to make
a hard-earned quality-made VX map rather than a simply crappy map. Maps are an important part in any game, all story and gameplay revolves in it.

-Leventhan

12/05/08
Tutorial update : Added a bad example of laying tiles.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:57:35 AM by Levent »
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 87
ohheythar :O
Neat tutorial, but maybe you could make some extra 'how it shouldn't be done' screenshots?

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Neat tutorial, but maybe you could make some extra 'how it shouldn't be done' screenshots?
Well as long as you stick with a random cave layout, I don't see how you could go wrong really.
But I added a quick screenshot nevertheless.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 87
ohheythar :O
Well as long as you stick with a random cave layout, I don't see how you could go wrong really.
But I added a quick screenshot nevertheless.
You'll never know...
Anyways, good job! 9/10, but that's RMVX' fault.
Lame square graphics.
I still have to fit in.
Can't.,
Difficult.