RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Basic Woods Mapping: Image Heavy

pokeball 006OfflineMale
Rep:
Level 85
Tileset: 002: Woods
Engine: RPG Maker XP
Difficulty: Intermediate
Ok, so this is my first mapping tutorial, I hope I did well.
Note: Screens may vary the path and what not may change in screens.

Step 1: The Layout

So, what you want to do is fill in the blank map with grass.
Example:
Spoiler for:

Then what you want to do is create a path, not a perfectly straight one. Then create little path ways leading off of the path, where some people who have passed through went.
Example:
Spoiler for:

Once you have that start to erase some parts of the map. It may not look good now, but it will fit in later. And now you have your layout done.
Example:
Spoiler for:

Step 2: Trees, Water and Water Effects

Now what you want to do is go to the third layer, and place your trees. Don’t be afraid to over lap you trees, because you can easily put the rest on the second layer. Remember try and not over crowd it, the player must navigate the map.
Example:
Spoiler for:

Optional:
Now this is completely optional depending on what sort of map you want. Basically what we’re doing is adding water to the map. So in some placing, just start adding some water.
Example:
Spoiler for:

And now it’s time for water effects, this is my own thing that I do. What you do is on a map where you have rocks or pebbles, make a new event in the water. Choose the Rocks or pebbles, and change them to these settings.
Example:
Spoiler for:

Result:
Spoiler for:

Step 3: Plants, grass, logs, tree stumps etc.

OK, we’ll start off with tree stumps and logs, now you don’t want to just randomly place the stumps(Which I tend to do)you want to put them somewhere, where they would have been in the way of people. And you should also place the logs near the cut down trees. Remember not all stumps have logs next to them.
Example:
Spoiler for:

OK, now time for one of the hardest parts, grass, they are a pain in the butt to map, you don’t have enough room. So, where’re going to start of with the design. You want to grab the middle tile of the grass and just place it where you want the grass to be. Remember use the 2nd layer.
Example:
Spoiler for:

Now map the edges.
Now erase the middle parts of the grass (The ones with the white) and place them on the first layer. And using the two smaller pieces of grass, place them on the edges of the patches of grass. OK, where’re done with grass.
Example:
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:

Now let’s move onto plants. OK, so what I do is grab one planet and place it in many different spots, that are where the main plants are going to grow, and then you randomly place them. And then fill them in with different plants.
Example:
Spoiler for:

And then just add some little more detail, fog and screen tone.
Finished Result:
Spoiler for:
[/b]
I hope this tutorial help some people out, please post what you made if you used this tutorial, thank you.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Pretty nice tutorial! I hope to see more from you. :o

pokeball 006OfflineMale
Rep:
Level 85
Thanks Irock, I hope I can be bothered to make more tuts.
Sorry that I posted this in the wrong section, could somebody please move it?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 09:43:54 AM by 006 »

Rep:
Level 86
I hate everyone except the ones I don't hate...
You are amazing! I loove the idea about underwater pebbles! This tut is simple and allows others to use their imagination and be creative, and it's short and easy to understand. Love the pics too! You can't have a tut without screens (seems weird coming from me, I usually forget...)! ;D
I wonder how many of my-reps are there for a reason, and not just because some jackass wanted to show off in front of some other jackasses...?
Probably a lot of them - and those people sure as hell don't deserve my pity, let alone my disgust.
That's right, let's see some more -Rep'ing! BOOYEAH!!

pokeball 006OfflineMale
Rep:
Level 85
You are amazing! I loove the idea about underwater pebbles! This tut is simple and allows others to use their imagination and be creative, and it's short and easy to understand. Love the pics too! You can't have a tut without screens (seems weird coming from me, I usually forget...)! ;D
Thanks mate. I was just sitting here then started to read and your post brought a big  ;D to my face! I'm glad the tutorial could be of use.