RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Taking Event System Requests!

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Onward to failure! March you heathens, MARCH!
Oh well. It is an excellent idea, so perhaps I'll give you credit for the skill if you want.

And I'd hate to ask any more of you, Grafikal, but what would I look for in this database of ours? About a script assigning enemies as variables or something?
The biggest mistake of RMRK since 2009...
~Darkblast

Hurr durr
Rep:
Level 87
Hamburger? What Hamburger?
You mean a script line that checks for enemy id?
Current Project:
Altaria: Deus ex Machina (in progress)

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Oh well. It is an excellent idea, so perhaps I'll give you credit for the skill if you want.

And I'd hate to ask any more of you, Grafikal, but what would I look for in this database of ours? About a script assigning enemies as variables or something?

I don't know, I was just letting you know where you can search for scripts. Those links are not nearly all of the places you can search though.

Onward to failure! March you heathens, MARCH!
So I've heard. At least I found some other cool scripts in the database! Thanks again, Grafikal, for the links. I think I'll try the other one now, and if that search proves fruitless then I'll Google it.
The biggest mistake of RMRK since 2009...
~Darkblast

Rep:
Level 87
Embrace the stillness of eternity.
I'm looking for a event system for a skill (common event through skill though other things may be involved), for a skill I call mimic, which will have two functions, but you can do whatever one is easier.

1. Repeats the action of the actor who went before the actor with Mimic. (For example, Actor 2 uses Fire, and so when Actor 3 uses Mimic, it'll be Fire instead.)
2. Adds the skill used by the actor who went before the actor with Mimic to their skill rooster. (Like Smeargle's Sketch skill)

I can do that, and it only needs 1 variable. It takes longer depending on how many skills would be available to mimic (obviously), but here goes.

1) Give all mimic-able skills a common event that sets the mimic variable to a constant. Make sure it's different for every skill.

2) Make your mimic skill. Make it do nothing except a common event, plus have it target one enemy (unless you want your targets to be random).

3) Let's say the first mimic-able skill, Fire, sets the variable to 2. Give the mimic skill a common event with a conditional branch of "variable [mimic] = 2."

4) In the true branch, put a Force Action command. Make it so Actor no. 1 uses Fire on the last target, and set it to execute now.

5) Now, put another conditional branch inside this same true branch that checks if the actor with mimic has learned the skill it just mimicked, and set it so there is no "else" branch. In the conditional branch, set it to teach the mimic character the skill, possibly with a little message or something.

6) Now add another conditional branch in the "else" branch of the first. Repeat steps 4-5 until all skills needed are mimic-able.

I haven't actually tested this, so I'm not completely sure about it, but I think it's likely to work. There are some limitations, though:

-Can only mimic skills, not other actions.
-Always mimics the last skill used in the skills you event for, even if you haven't used a skill in several battles.
-Mimicked skills still use MP. That's fixable if you just create no-MP duplicates of each skill and have mimic force their use instead.
-Must make a separate version of mimic for each character to use it because of its actor-specific commands.

There are probably other limitations too, but I'm losing my train of thought for some reason.

Rep:
Level 83
Kidfox70. It happens.
If your still taking requests...i have one!
I don't say bless you when people sneeze, cause i'm not God. Blessing people is his job. Lolo?

I have a request if your up for it. I don't think it's hard, but I can't do it.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Just post it people, come on.

Well I was wondering if someone could help with an improved, but easy farming system.

I wanted it so you have to water the plants once. But if it's raining when you plant it, you don't have to water it. And if it's snowing have it kill all your crops. Also have so after a limited time of not harvesting have the plant die.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Yeah I can do this sometime. You're using XP? I'll finish it if someone else doesn't pick it up before I get to it.

Yes I'm using XP. =]

Rep:
Level 83
Kidfox70. It happens.
Hi. sorry i wanted to make sure this was still active! my request is not very simple. or it is and i'm lame. Ok so i have these rocks that i can move by walking up to them and they roll the way i'm looking. so if the rock is in my path and i walk into it and i'm walking left then the rock is going to roll left (like i pushed it!).

but i want to take this one step forward. i want to be able to control the rock completely. i want to walk up to this rock and instead of it rolling i want to press a key on the key board and the then depending on the button i press(up, down, left, right) the rock rolls that way.

I hope that this is possible, thank you if you can help!
I don't say bless you when people sneeze, cause i'm not God. Blessing people is his job. Lolo?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
So, while touching the event, you want to be able to hold a button down, and use the arrow keys to control the movement of this event for 1 space? Effectively holding 2 buttons down at some point and negating the option to control the event in the direction that your standing on. So if you're standing the left, then holding down the button and pressing Left would not work, correct?

Rep:
Level 86
I'm looking for a little bit of help, I'm trying to make a book item, (that will eventually have ALOT of pages) I've done alot of what's needed, but rather than tediously require the person to flip through each page from the beggining ...

Q: Is there a way to use the "Input Number" function, and use it to turn to the page number they input?

I've tried using labe/jump to label, and writing "\v[0005]"  (thats the variable I set to the input....) alas... it's not working... any ideas?

The only reason I want to do this is because throughout the game, the player will be filling in the blank pages, but not neccisaryly in order of the pages (1 then 2 then 3) It's more like 1, then 2, then maybe 100, then 101, then 3, then 54... etc.  but, when they go to look at it, I don't want them to have to flip through 100 blank pages....

and if possible...

Q: list for the player which pages are filled in, or at least "chapters" started/finished?

Sweet thanks

(Note: I do know that I cooooould do this in a long aurdous tedious and mindnumblingly repetative way of lots and lots of if/then/conditional branches..... but, considering there will be over 600 pages, and to make if statements for even having the page... and then jumping to label of page.... and having all of those if statements for each page.... well... thats alot of if statments...,,, *sighs*

Any help is appreciated, thanks *wave*

"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

OK, so what's the speed of dark?
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Since there's a duck-billed platapus, is there just a plain platapus? If so... what does that look like?

Rep:
Level 83
Kidfox70. It happens.
So, while touching the event, you want to be able to hold a button down, and use the arrow keys to control the movement of this event for 1 space? Effectively holding 2 buttons down at some point and negating the option to control the event in the direction that your standing on. So if you're standing the left, then holding down the button and pressing Left would not work, correct?

well, it would work. (if my dream came ture) then if you go up to the rock and (select it?) and press a key then if you press a (up, left, right, down) then the rock will move that way, no matter what way your faceing. (well you have to be faceing the rock...)

Mjustin, i haven't be able to try this yet, sorry...college and all...but i'll try tonight i'm really excited, thanks!

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I'm looking for a little bit of help, I'm trying to make a book item, (that will eventually have ALOT of pages) I've done alot of what's needed, but rather than tediously require the person to flip through each page from the beggining ...

Q: Is there a way to use the "Input Number" function, and use it to turn to the page number they input?

I've tried using labe/jump to label, and writing "\v[0005]"  (thats the variable I set to the input....) alas... it's not working... any ideas?

The only reason I want to do this is because throughout the game, the player will be filling in the blank pages, but not neccisaryly in order of the pages (1 then 2 then 3) It's more like 1, then 2, then maybe 100, then 101, then 3, then 54... etc.  but, when they go to look at it, I don't want them to have to flip through 100 blank pages....

and if possible...

Q: list for the player which pages are filled in, or at least "chapters" started/finished?

Sweet thanks

(Note: I do know that I cooooould do this in a long aurdous tedious and mindnumblingly repetative way of lots and lots of if/then/conditional branches..... but, considering there will be over 600 pages, and to make if statements for even having the page... and then jumping to label of page.... and having all of those if statements for each page.... well... thats alot of if statments...,,, *sighs*

Any help is appreciated, thanks *wave*

The label thing with the variables doesn't work like that there. That's for messages. As for going to a page, you can do it with the input number, but there's no getting around the fact that you have to still check what number you picked. To do that you WILL have to make a conditional branch for each option. If you have 600+ pages, try shortening it by chunks of pages instead of each individual page. Like, pages 1-10, then 11-20 and so on. Then when you get to a chunk, write out a small additional event system that will be used to go from page to page. Like for instance if you skip to chunk 141-150, and you're sitting at page 141, then the additional event system would check if the player presses left or right. If right, then go to page 142. If left, then go to page 140. I think you get the point there. It would look pretty fantastic if you had pictures for each page or a book graphic to display whilst this is happening.

As for your second question, you can do that probably easier. It's look much nicer using pictures to event it instead of using messages. Display 1 background book picture, on top of that display a few chapter pictures. Have each one set to a switch, so that when you complete a chapter, you can flip a switch and that new picture (the chapter) will appear in the book, etc. I would do this for you, but you'd have to give me the images to work with. Or I could just do a super shitty representation and then you can go through and just replace the images with the same names and what not.

Rep:
Level 83
Spriter
I though it would be easy but it's not, but I need a trade system of spices. The idea is like on Animal Crossing wild world. You can buy turnips for a random price, and sell them for a random price. If you need to know: my prices for buying spices: 100~500 and for selling them: 0~300.

I hope this is enough information, because this is all the available information.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
So you just want to sell and buy spices at random prices. That's it?

Rep:
Level 83
Spriter
Yes, that's it.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Ok, working on it now. Not too hard, a bit round-and-about, but I'll post the demo here soon.

Edit:: this became a little more difficult than anticipated. I can make it so that you can buy spices at random prices, you just can't sell them the same way. The problem, is not that you can't but rather the problem is that you can sell spices even if you don't have any. (once)

For instance, I can get it to the point where you can choose up to how many of whatever you want to be sold. So, say you have 50 spiceA in your inventory. You want to sell 60 spiceA. So you input 60 and click sell. You'll sell and gain moneys worth of 60 spices. At the same time you'll be hit with -60 SpiceA from your inventory, so now you have 0. I can make a conditional branch checking if you have any SpiceA in your inventory but you can't check how many of them you have. The cheat here, is if you had 1 SpiceA, you could sell 99 SpiceA and get -99 SpiceA which would just put you at 0. So the next time you obviously can't sell 99 since I can check if you have 1. There's no way to event around how many of something you have in your inventory. I can't assign variables to each item. Well...I could, but you don't even want to know how much work it would be if you did that. You'd have to keep up with it the entire game. So everytime ANYWHERE you pick up SpiceA, you would have to manually +1 to the variable you assigned for SpiceA and when you get to selling SpiceA's, you could subtract numbers from that variable, and check if that variable would become less than 0 at some point and prevent you, and to be honest, none of that is worth the effort. You're much better off requesting a shop script or a script that allows you to change the prices of items in shops.

Now, that's only if you must have your spices sold at random prices. If you're willing to sell them at standard prices, then instead of selling them like they're bought, you can just open a shop process with some random thing in it so you can sell things. There's no way to limit it so that you can only sell spices there though.

Also, the other bug I ran into while making it so you can buy spices at random prices is the same thing with selling them. If you end up buying or having 99 of a certain spice, you would still have the option to buy more. So if you had 95 and you bought 10 more, you'd be overcharged for 6 spices. You'd lose that gold. That would frustrate a player to no end having to keep up and do math every time they want to buy something or having to constantly double check how many things they have in their inventory.

Whenever we're able to event or track how many of an item a player has in their inventory is when we can properly make this. If you want though, I will still post the demo that I have thus far. You can buy up to 4 spices at random prices. For the 'Sell' option, I simply have it open a Shop Process so you can sell things.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 01:36:02 AM by grafikal »

Rep:
Level 87
You can keep track of how many of a certain item the player has with the command "Control Variables: [0001: Number] = [Item] In Inventory." Here's how I configured the event (currently for only 1 item to keep it simple):

Spoiler for:

It won't let you buy/sell if:
  • You try to buy over 99
  • You try to sell below 0
  • You don't have enough gold to buy

I can post a demo if needed.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I take it you didn't read a damn think I posted then huh?

Rep:
Level 87
Yes, I did, and my event fixes the problems you mentioned. Are you saying I'm wrong?