RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Taking Event System Requests!

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
Heya! I thought i was pretty advanced with eventing, however i seem to be stumped and want to know if you can help.

I am looking for a great teleport system, say from Map a to Map b. Usually i would to it like this :

@> Conditional Branch: Player is facing [Down]
@> Transfer player [Map B]
@>
: Else
@>
: Branch End
@>

However, it's a little buggy, let's say i used the example above:
If i was to walk onto the event while facing down, it would transfer me to Map B
However, if i walk onto the event facing left or right it would do nothing, yet if i walk onto the event facing left or right
and THEN turned down, it would still not teleport me.

The reason i used a conditional branch normally is so when i teleport a player to another map, if i make it so it's ontop of another event, it doesn't transfer it back to the first map and vice versa. I want to know if you have or can make a system that i need without that type of bug

Rep:
Level 87
Embrace the stillness of eternity.
@ DJIlLuZiOnIsT: It's been a few months so you might've figured this out already, but there might be other peope who have the same problem so I'll let you know anyway.

Change the condition to "The Down button is being pressed." That way it'll transfer the character even if they're already on the event. Also, you can uncheck the box that says "Set handling when conditions do not apply," since you're not using the "else" branch.

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
I would love to help you out.  I am horrible at spriting, but am growing to be good at eventing.

Rep:
Level 83
Okay so I've been trying to figure this out for a while now.

1) I want to have an NPC randomly walking around, then 2) when you talk to them they stop walking any carry out all the text stuff I evented before moving again.

I can get 1) working and I can get the text part of 2) working. So currently as you talk to the NPC the speech happens but they just keep on walking. *sigh*  :(

I need help linking them. Preferably something that doesn't involve adding in a wait time. Because if you fly through the speech then the NPC is left standing there for X amount of time. Otherwise if the player is too slow then the NPC will start moving before they finish reading the text.

Here are links to images of what I've already evented.

MAP) http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/1097/41023484.png
1) http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1571/88223801.png
2) http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/98/76724545.png

I'd really appreciate any help I can get on this because I can then use the same method for various NPC's throughout the rest of my game. :lol:

If you see anyone using Stand_Still as their user name then tell me. This is my logo that I created in 2006. Mine you tell me, mine. (c) 2006

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Don't set a move command ._. 

Have you ever thought to use Autonomous Movements??? There's a random setting.................... Change "Fixed" to "Random" and modify the speed and frequency if you even want to. Problem solved.

Rep:
Level 83
wow thanks. now it works just fine.

i've only been using RMXP since monday. :P

So actually i have another problem now.

When my character walks in to town i want the town name to appear in text. Now I do have that working but, because i've had to use a switch to stop the text from constantly repeating if i leave the town and re-enter it the text doesn't come up again.

I thought I had it figured out before by adding the 'Erase Event' command in because whenever i left the map with the text on and re-entered it the text would play. Unfortunately this also occured when i left houses.  :(

I'm open to any ideas.

If you see anyone using Stand_Still as their user name then tell me. This is my logo that I created in 2006. Mine you tell me, mine. (c) 2006

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Sooo, you want the map name to appear when you enter a main area, but not when you are already in that area and enter from a 'sub-area' like a house within the zone?

If you want to do it the way you asked then::

>Create a Switch for your map. I don't know, we'll call it 'Switch:Map001'.
>Now go to your Transfer Event commands that lead into the map you want the name to appear on. (For instance if you leave a forest to enter this town, then go to your transfer events in the forest map that lead to this town map) But don't go to the ones from the houses into the town map.
>In those Transfer Events, include (somewhere below the Transfer Event Command), 'Turn Switch:Map001 ON'.
>(Ok breather:: This means now, that the transfer events that lead from an area into your town map will all turn on the switch we created so that when we enter the town, Switch:Map001 will be on.)
>No go to your town map and create a new event on it anywhere.
>Make this event an Auto Run or Parallel Process.
>In the top left check on if there's a switch that needs to be on to work. Check it and select your 'Switch:Map001'.
>(Breather:: This means that upon entering this map, this event will only be activated if Switch:Map001 is on and then automatically performs some event commands)
>Ok now in the event commands, make a Text Event Command and write the name of your map or whatever.
>(Quicky:: If you want the player to press a button to make the text box go away, then skip this next step, if not, then read it)
>At the end of your message inside of the Text Event Command, type " \.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\^ " (Yes that looks weird) " \. " means that after the message appears, it'll freeze for a fraction of a second (since there are more than one, it'll freeze for like a second or two. You can experiment with how many of \. you need) The " \^ " at the end of a text command means that the message will automatically close itself without user input. You only need one of those.
>Ok now that you have the Text Event Command in there, create another Switch Event Command. In this event command, "Turn Switch:Map001 OFF".

Ok done.

Those are the only two event commands you need in that parallel process event. It'll play your message then turn the switch that turned it on, to off. Since the switch is off now, then the event won't process anymore until the switch is turned back on. Now if you don't want your houses and whatever to play the message when you enter a town, then make sure that you don't include the "Turn Switch:Map001 ON" in any of the transfer events from the house to the town map.

Also, to do this on another map, you'll have to again create a new parallel process or auto run event with the same conditions but with a different text box message. (You can reuse the same switch)

Rep:
Level 83
woot! you're awesome grafikal009

The switch works perfectly. that's the important thing  :lol:

I have been trying to implement that " \.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\.\^ " text command. but i've tried insterting it like a thousand ways and all it ends up doing is displaying in the text message. so the player has to hit the action button to get rid of the text anyway.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
That might just be a VX thing then. I wasn't sure if it would work with XP, guess not. lol.

Rep:
Level 83
lol

i thought it might have been something like that

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Well, yeah, XP doesn't display letter-by-letter, it displays it all at once, so those codes aren't included. If you had a message system, you could do that sort of stuff though.

Rep:
Level 83
lol, I'm back again. But it's not for me this time it's for my brothers.

Anyway they want to have a dungeon that appears pitch black on the screen but as they walk around they have like a spot light following them that will reveal the dungeon around them.

Kind of like some of the really old adventure games.

I've managed to make a spot light image on screen by following this tutorial: (http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=21314) However it you make the screen pitch black all you see is the spot light running around.

Is it possible to do this through eventing or is this a scripting thing???

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
you just see the spot light because the image is overlaid ontop of the pitch black. It doesn't actually illuminate anything. so you can't have it fully black, neither will that tutorial help you make a light. You'll have to make a full sized image that's black and then put a transparent circle or whatever shape into the middle where your character would be at and have it locked on the character's x and y values using variables.

Rep:
Level 83
Yah! thanks again grafikal009. You're aces.  ;D

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Onward to failure! March you heathens, MARCH!
How do I assign variables to enemies? (Look at my topic for more details)
The biggest mistake of RMRK since 2009...
~Darkblast

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Link your topic?

~Darkblast

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
You can set variables for the aspects of an enemy, but without the aid of some scripting, you can't actually set an enemy as a variable. I know what you're trying to do, and it's difficult. I had a hard time in VX doing it. Modern Algebra and Falcon helped me out with the small scripting tidbits that could be used inside conditional branches to check who you're targeting. Your best bet is to find a Steal script for this type of thing.

Sorry for not replying, my Internet was out for a while there.

So where could I find this script? Keep in mind that I also plan to use this variable-assigning thing for other skills as well. It might not be just for stealing.

Oh, and I don't want to set an enemy as a variable, I want to give that enemy a variable. Are these one in the same? I'm new to RMXP coding, I have more of a GML mindset if you read me.
~Darkblast

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Yeah, it basically means the same thing here.

Aha. So were are these scripts again? I've heard their really helpful to your projects, but I can't find any of them!  :(

EDIT: Also, 1 second in the game = 30 frames, right?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:46:12 AM by darkblast »
~Darkblast

Hurr durr
Rep:
Level 87
Hamburger? What Hamburger?
I'm looking for a event system for a skill (common event through skill though other things may be involved), for a skill I call mimic, which will have two functions, but you can do whatever one is easier.

1. Repeats the action of the actor who went before the actor with Mimic. (For example, Actor 2 uses Fire, and so when Actor 3 uses Mimic, it'll be Fire instead.)
2. Adds the skill used by the actor who went before the actor with Mimic to their skill rooster. (Like Smeargle's Sketch skill)
Current Project:
Altaria: Deus ex Machina (in progress)

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Aha. So were are these scripts again? I've heard their really helpful to your projects, but I can't find any of them!  :(

EDIT: Also, 1 second in the game = 30 frames, right?
http://rmrk.net/index.php/board,111.0.html
Here's our database for XP scripts thus far.

http://www.rpgrevolution.com/forums/?showforum=42
click on XP Scripts. There's a ton there.

Hah, wow, Miles, Look for a script or request one. Don't even try to event that. I can barely wrap my own head around all the work to mark each and every skill combination possible for that to even work. That's not plausible for an event system at all.

Ah. Thank you. I'll check these out when I'm not so tired.

Dangit, Miles! Now I can't use a skill like that because then you'd say I copied you. :P
~Darkblast

Hurr durr
Rep:
Level 87
Hamburger? What Hamburger?
Dark, don't worry about it. If the script for my skills gets made, I'll let you use if you want. After all, I think Final Fantasy made nearly every thing it did main stream/household product.
Current Project:
Altaria: Deus ex Machina (in progress)