RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Mapping A Boat In VX

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
I was going to put this is resources but its more complicated then just importing the images :(

Mapping A Boat In VX

In this tutorial we will be making the above. I know its not much but it can be expanded on :).

You'll need the required resources. These have been tetrisfied(split up and squashed around a bit) by me :D

TileE.png(unfourtunately this will take up most of your tile e image :():

Whilst were here id like to point out that the rpgmaker xp default tileset was a rushed peice of rubbish where none of the tiles lined up however this was fixed by "Dorman T Relgn" :D

Import this into graphics/system using the resource manager inside rpgmaker vx :D.

!boatparts.png

This is a character file :D. Place it in graphics/characters using the resource manager. NOTE: RENAME THE ABOVE FILE TO !boatparts.png photobucket doesnt like !s.

!boatparts2.png

This is a character file :D. Place it in graphics/characters using the resource manager. NOTE: RENAME THE ABOVE FILE TO !boatparts2.png photobucket doesnt like !s.

Now create a new map and bucket fill it with a water tile :D.

Using parts from the tile E Layer of the map editor you can make the base of the boat eg.

To achieve the masts i have used the event layer to achieve Another 3 layers ontop of the boat's base. The mast itself is comprised of 8 events:

The event graphics are set to one square of the boatparts file. The ! on the front of the name disables rpgmakers default habbit of placing characters and evets 4pixels above the terrain layer :D.

For items you want to be on the same layer as the character mirror this event page. This is for items you want the player to bump into:

Make sure it has no animations set to it or youll have a shapeshifting event :D

For items you want the player to be able to walk on eg. a bundle of rope:

for items you want the player to walk behind eg. the top of the mast:

There you go. Continue adding in events and youll eventually have a cool boat. Notice how horrible this fix is because rpgmaker vx went backwards in the way it handles tiles :D.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 03:07:34 PM by ahref »

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Yay, finally!
Trying it out now. :lol:
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Nice tutorial. Absolutely necessary for well, most games. Nice job ahref.

Rep:
Level 88
That's me in my bee outfit, do I look handsome?
i think that when u need to map something u will use only once in the game, like a boat for example is a waste of tilesets to use the whole Etile for a boat.

Ill explain what i mean. There will be only 1 boat in the game so whenever u use it its gonna be the same again wherever in the worldmap. so i would use a parallax instead

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
thats hideously more messy then my alternative.

Rep:
Level 88
That's me in my bee outfit, do I look handsome?
Its because of the lack of space that its a better idea so i would say, what u want the space of the tilesets for? to map as much as possible. if ure only gonna map a boat once it means that you could have used the E tile for something more important like shadows, city stuff, house stuff. etc

parallaxes dont need to be hard, and you can create a map with the stuff in your tile set

Check my guide ;)
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,26500.0.html

Rep:
Level 85
This is very cool... 8)

I have finaly a good Tileset E!!! ;D

Thanks this is the greatest tileset for VX!!! Its realy great 
Working Titles

Orre The Last Stand [||] 10%

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
the whole idea with vx busbuzz is that you only need a-e for your resources. if you want more houses overwrite the tile As. Using a paralax is just icky

Rep:
Level 86
I hate everyone except the ones I don't hate...
Not bad at all, though I doubt I'll need it. For the tileset, I think it could be lessened in size a lot if you placed the pieces closer together. Messy, but allows others to also have more of their own tileset E. ;)
I wonder how many of my-reps are there for a reason, and not just because some jackass wanted to show off in front of some other jackasses...?
Probably a lot of them - and those people sure as hell don't deserve my pity, let alone my disgust.
That's right, let's see some more -Rep'ing! BOOYEAH!!

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
indeed you can save around 1 or two rows :D but it gets more confusing :(
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 06:36:57 PM by ahref »

Rep:
Level 86
Yeah, well, that's for the induviual user to choose. In the meanwhile, maybe replacing blocks of Tileset A,B,C and D with ship stuff would improve? I know I'm not gonna use all of those roofs and walls in my new game:o
I wonder how many of my-reps are there for a reason, and not just because some jackass wanted to show off in front of some other jackasses...?
Probably a lot of them - and those people sure as hell don't deserve my pity, let alone my disgust.

Training Wheels
Rep:
Level 89
:)
id use this if it wasnt the XP boat tileset,
ive never been a fan of the XP boat myself :)
  • Web designer
  • Music producer/DJ
  • Graphic Designer
Why am I 'training wheels'??

Rep:
Level 86
Yeah, there's been some discussion about it. Why doesn't someone request one for VX then? There are a lot of good spriters on these forums!