RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Quest Journal v. 2.1

Rep: +0/-0Level 57
RMRK Junior
I've tried the demo but I'm still really confused on how to add my own quests in. Please help.

Sol.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
In the abstract, I can't say it any better than I do in the Instructions and the Demo. Ask a more specific question and maybe I can help, but if I undertake to explain everything all over again then it will end up being identical to what I've already written in the instructions for the script.

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
I've tried the demo but I'm still really confused on how to add my own quests in. Please help.

Sol.
i'll try and make a demo once i have time and feel like it......(having a bad hair day -_-")

Rep: +0/-0Level 58
RMRK Junior
Hi everyone!
First of all, thanks for this wonderful script.

Just a (newbie) question: I would like to display in the description of a quest (or sub-quest) a variable (number, word...), modified during the game.
For example, an enemy is killing the 100 king's sons. The number decreases during the time, when you receive the quest to save the king's sons, I would like to display "Save the last 86 king's sons". It's possibile? How can i do it?

Thanks!

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
Hi everyone!

Just a (newbie) question: I would like to display in the description of a quest (or sub-quest) a variable (number, word...), modified during the game.
For example, an enemy is killing the 100 king's sons. The number decreases during the time, when you receive the quest to save the king's sons, I would like to display "Save the last 86 king's sons". It's possibile? How can i do it?

Thanks!

i made that add-on ^^ here: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,44878.0.html

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Y <3 ?
Silver - GIAW 11 (Normal)
You know, modern_algebra, I think what might help a little more - because I see repeated questions posted through-out here - would be a YouTube video showing you the 'basics' of the script.

The video could show the copying/downloading of the script, installing it into your RMVX engine, then creating 1 basic quest in the script itself. Then it could as well show how to summon the quest in an event, say like with a person on the map, an event person. I know for me, I require an actual visible explanation of how to do things; just telling me wont work and eventually I'll just give up and move on.

I know that's a very large waste of your time, but if it stops people from posting the same things over and over again, it could actually be a great time saver. :)

I hope this is helpful!
"If you see it, it is not truly there. If you dream it, it will never appear when you waken. If you love it, it will never leave you. Love him... Though he is not real and though you may never see him when you awaken tomorrow." ~ Sorceress of Gaida, Quote from: Eriscadia - The Fall of Nations
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1352/

Rep: +0/-0Level 55
RMRK Junior
This is truly a wonderful script Modern. I'm not sure if this is just my inexperience, but i've foreseen a small issue with this for me in the future. Using the event command "script" I noticed that the box for writing script into is quite limited in length before the line splits to the line below it. I've noticed that for example if there were quests that fall in the double digits it would fit perfectly.

(For example Quest 1-99). --->$game_party.quests[12].complete_objective(0)

However, upon adding a third quest to make the quest ID a three digit number it sends the objective variable to the next line causing a script error, because as far as i know the entire command has to be on the same line or there is an Argument Error. For me namely, the error is 'ArgumentError occured while running script. wrong number of arguments(0 for 1). After some testing, I realized as beforementioned that as the command stretched on the next line it would cause and error.

For example $game_party.quests[122].complete_objective(0)   <--The quests digits when at 3 will push part of the command to the next line, causing an error  :'( .

I guess what i'm asking is there anyway to make this so that I can have more than 99 Quests? Because my game could use a lot more quests than that for the current project i'm working on.

I only have a very basic scripting knowledge (About enough to navigate the script without causing a nuclear explosion), so forgive me if i sound incompetent. :P

Thank you for taking time to read this. :]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:32:14 PM by VirtueComplex »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Errm, well, assuming that you are using v. 2.1 and not 1.1, you really don't need to call the Game_Quest methods directly like that. I created a number of methods directly in Game_Interpreter to help fix that issue.

All you would need to do is use the following code:

Code: [Select]
complete_objective(122, 0)

All of the methods that are available to you are quoted in the first post:

Instructions

Paste this script into the Script Editor (F11) in its own slot above Main and below Materials.

I would recommend separating the Configuration module from the Script itself in two different slots, as I think it makes it neater. That is totally optional though. If you do want to do it though, instructions on where to make the split are located in the Script Header at line 20.

Instructions for creating, updating and monitoring quests, as well as for changing the settings, are all in the Script header and in the two EDITABLE REGIONS. It is highly recommended that you take the time to familiarize yourself with them in detail.

In brief, however, the following codes are used to update quest progress:

reveal_objective (quest_id, objective_id_1, ..., objective_id_n)
  quest_id : the integer ID of the quest you want to access.
  objective_id_1, ..., objective_id_n : a list of the IDs of the
    objectives you want to operate on. It can be as few as one or as
    many as all of them.
conceal_objective (quest_id, objective_id_1, ..., objective_id_n)
complete_objective (quest_id, objective_id_1, ..., objective_id_n)
uncomplete_objective (quest_id, objective_id_1, ..., objective_id_n)
fail_objective (quest_id, objective_id_1, ..., objective_id_n)
unfail_objective (quest_id, objective_id_1, ..., objective_id_n)
change_reward_status (quest_id, value)

The following codes are used in a conditional progress to monitor quest progress (each of the objective_etc? will only return as true if the quest is also revealed):

quest_revealed? (quest_id)
  quest_id : the integer ID of the quest you want to access.
objective_revealed? (quest_id, objective_id_1, ... objective_id_n)
  objective_id_1, ..., objective_id_n : a list of the IDs of the
    objectives you want to operate on. It can be as few as one or as
    many as all of them.
quest_complete? (quest_id)
objective_complete? (quest_id, objective_id_1, ... objective_id_n)
quest_failed? (quest_id)
objective_failed? (quest_id, objective_id_1, ... objective_id_n)
quest_rewarded? (quest_id)

For details on what each of these does, see the script. As well, there are lots of other instructions in the script you should pay attention to. Read them carefully!

You can also change the attributes of quests in-game with any of the following codes:

quest (quest_id).method = new_value
  method : the attribute you want to change. This can be either:
    banner; name; description; objectives; prime_objectives; rewards;
    common_event_id; icon_index; or custom_categories.
  new_value : this is the value that you are changing it to. It must
    be of the same form as the original (ie. a string for name or
    description, an array of strings for objectives, an integer for
    icon_index, etc...)

If you are still using 1.1, then I recommend you switch to 2.1, but if you are unwilling to do that, then please see the section on Call Script Errors in my Script Troubleshooting for the Non-Scripter tutorial. It has tips for breaking up the code into local variables in order to have the operative portion fit on one line.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 08:00:40 PM by modern algebra »

Rep: +0/-0Level 55
RMRK Junior
You're a life saver modern, thank you. I hadn't even noticed I had picked up 1.1. Updated to 2.1 and my problem is solved. Sorry about the confusion. Also thank you for such a quick reply, it means a lot! Keep up the good work buddy :]

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Please use [Insert code] to post scripts. It makes it easier on everybody.

Like this.

[code] *YOUR SCRIPT* [*/code]
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
I hate to be the guy who asks the same question as the guy before him, but I've got a problem. It seems like the mission log doesn't want to scroll down when there are too many objectives, and you need to scroll to see them. It always tends to cut off the last objective, or if there is a reward, it doesn't show the reward (I have the rewards displayed at the bottom). I updated my implementation section with 2.1c, but it still has the same problem. Not sure what to do about it. I'll post both my config section and implementation section.

CONFIG
IMPLEMENTATION

Gods ain't gonna help ya son...

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
This rocks, MA. In the project and playtested!

This project is gonna have your name all over it.
:tinysmile:

Rep: +0/-0Level 35
RMRK Junior
I really like your script!  :D i just have one question, is it possible to make quests only show up in one category?

Rep:
Level 57
RMRK Junior
Hi everyone!

Thanks!

i made that add-on ^^ here: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,44878.0.html
I didn't know about this!
*throw himself on the script*
Thank you I will take a look!

Rep: +0/-0Level 34
RMRK Junior
I have added a fourth Quest and Now I keep getting errors anyone have any Idea how this is is possible?

Rep:
Level 97
Well, I'd need to know what the errors are.

Rep: +0/-0Level 39
RMRK Junior
I know that switches can be used to make quests unavailable for purchase until said switch is turned on, but I was wondering if there is any sort of way I can make purchasing a quest trigger a switch to turn on. I looked through the script but couldn't find a clear answer as to if this would be possible.

This may have been answered before (sorry if it has!) but essentially I want to create almost monster hunter like quests where you can hunt X monster for X guild but you can only reach that monster if X switch has been triggered by purchasing said quest.

Rep: +0/-0Level 69
RMRK Junior
Hello. I'm hoping someone can help me. At the moment the quest objectives text seem to be built when the game initializes then then never afterwards. This poses a problem since I tend to change the objectives during play testing. I could hard code them in, but I plan on releasing them in chapters and foresee this becoming a major hassle for my audience players. So...

Is it possible to to get an update method for the quests objectives so that when I change them during play testing it updates without me having to hard code it in or restart the game? Thank you.

Rep: +0/-0Level 13
RMRK Junior
I was using the old version of this script (and loving it), but decided to upgrade to this new version before I had too many quests put in that I would then have to transfer.  I got the Paragraph Formatter in place, switched over to the new Quest Journal, put all my quests back in, tweaked the settings... and encountered an error on trying to playtest.  Only then did I notice where it says "VX" at the top of this forum XD  I'm using VX Ace, but because the old version of the Quest Journal worked perfectly, I never realized these scripts weren't made for Ace.  Am I simply out of luck?  Is there any way to get the Paragraph Formatter/Quest Journal 2.1 to work in VX Ace, or should I just switch back to Quest Journal 1.1, which I know does work?

Edit: This is me being a moron.  Disregard.  Sorry for bumping the thread needlessly.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:59:51 PM by blackberry-chan »