RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Quest Journal v. 2.1

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
reveal_quest should work.

The fact that it doesn't might mean you misspelled it in the actual script command, or it might mean you put the Implementation part of the script below Main, or it might mean you're using V. 1.1 instead of 2.1. So make sure it's none of those things.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:39:23 PM by modern algebra »

Rep: +0/-0Level 66
RMRK Junior
no now the same message comes up but with reveal objective????

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Sorry, just edited the above post when I took a look at the script - see if you made any of those mistakes.

Also, maybe you didn't copy the implementation part of the script into your game at all.

RMRK Junior
yes woops im using version 1.02 does that mean i have to get the latest or something above what?

meaning whats the latest version out?  or a version that the quest script will work on?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:49:45 PM by Redpants »

Rep:
Level 97
1.02? What?

The only two versions of this script you could possibly get from this topic are 1.1 and 2.1a. Unless you're referring to the version of RPG Maker VX you're using, in which case, no. Extremely, extremely, no.

Do you have v. 2.1a of the Quest Journal script?

If no and you have v. 1.1, delete it and download the 2.1 demo. If yes and you copied it from the demo, did you retrieve both the scripts out of the QJ2-CONFIGURATION and QJ2-IMPLEMENTATION slots that were in the demo.

If no, then go back to the demo and get both of them. If yes, then make sure both are in your script editor and both are above Main.

RMRK Junior
ok im sorry i mis understood i was using v 1.1

and by the way extremely extremely no what ? what do you mean

RMRK Junior
ok done. Now I,ve got rid of that message and copied the other 2 files from the demo over, i encounter another error which is this:

???QJ2-IMPLEMENTATION? 271 ??? NoMethodError ???
undefined method 'include'? for nil:NilClass

and line 271 is this :  return if !@data[quest_id] ||@id_sort.include? (quest_id)

Any ideas?????

ohh and btw i made a new game and the message goes away. once i finish the dialog i press escape and go to quests and it says unable to find graphics/pictures/fractal
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:11:21 AM by Redpants »

RMRK Junior
would you like me to send you my game so far ?

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, do that.

RMRK Junior
okay thanks for your help so far btw :D

Rep:
Level 97
Oh, wait never mind - sorry, I didn't read your last posts. It's just that you were using an old save file - just delete all the old save files since the script won't work with them - that's pretty much the case with most scripts. Unless you have some emotional attachment to this particular save file like it's your test file and it's 5 hours in, in which case I can write something to initialize the necessary data. Otherwise, just delete the old savefiles.

RMRK Junior
yh i did i still get the same error heres the game btw

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
2012 Best Artist2012 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)Winner - 2011 Summer Project of the Season
I've encountered an error with the script. It happens when I use the "remove_quest" script input:

Removing line 907 doesn't crash the game when "remove_quest" is used anymore, but it yields a new error when the menu is opened:

It's not an issue for me, really, as I've been using "conceal_quest" instead. But I thought I'd report it, just in case.
My current project:

Rep:
Level 97
Well, that other error is just because you don't have the fractal graphic and you have a quest set up with that banner. Just get rid of the quests that were set up for the demo and it will go away.

@lunarea - thanks for the report. I will fix it. For some reason, it's already fixed in my version - I must have uploaded the wrong copy of the script.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:57:30 AM by modern algebra »

RMRK Junior

RMRK Junior
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY IT WORKS

anyway ideas how to add a different background image and a custom menu of my licking to the start screen ? do i need a custom script for that or is it easy to change the music and the image?

and one other thing was while in dialog with an npc is there a way to make the conversation bigger, because whenever i test it the convocation goes out of the box. So i have to edit the text and press enter to shorten the words on a line. If it isnt possible themn is there a way i can add a barrier in the text option so when i type a word over the dialog limit it goes into a new line? i saw there were 2 arrows but i have no idea what there for? anyway thanks for your help
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:12:30 AM by Redpants »

Rep:
Level 97
Alright, I uploaded the new version of the script. If anyone doesn't want to redownload, all you need to do is go to the line Lunarea identified in Implementation:

Code: [Select]
  def remove (quest_id)
    conceal_quest
    @data.delete (quest_id)
  end

and replace it with:

def remove (quest_id)
    conceal_quest (quest_id)
    @data.delete (quest_id)
  end

@Redpants - I'm glad it's working. To change the background image, just read the instructions. Once you do, you'll notice there is an option like this in the configuration section:

BG_PICTURE = ""           # The filename of the background picture

All you need to do is put the name of the file you want to use inside those quotation marks.

I don't know what you mean by custom menu of your liking. If you mean how the quest scene itself is arranged there are a lot of options you can utilize to reconfigure it - read all the instructions. However, if you mean the menu where you choose things like items, equipments, quests, etc.. then you need a totally different script. Go to the RMVX Script Index (stickied in the Database) and look under the Menu Systems category. The Quest Journal is supported in some of them natively as long as it is under them. In others you might need to go through their own configurations to add the quest journal to the menu.

Also, this is not the place to keep asking these questions (go to the Tutorials board and make a new topic) but the two arrows indicate the amount of space you have to write (Ie the problem you are having). If using a face graphic, you only have to the first arrow. If not using a face graphic, you have to the second arrow. If you go over those arrows, then your words get cut off. They exist to indicate how much space you have. If you press the Preview button, you will see how it shows up in game.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:17:20 AM by modern algebra »

RMRK Junior
Thanks for all your help and answering my questions I'm sure it was stressful :P anyway I'm sure it will help others in the future who have encountered the same problems as me. Anyway all your help was appreciated it thanks.

DONE!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:50:57 PM by Redpants »

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
Modern algebra i had this idea and i was wondering if you could add it into your script please ;p
i would like to have the quests shown in sub categories, like this .

+Location 1
Quest 1
Quest 2
+Location 2
+Location 3

so i can click on the location/client's name (it expands) and see what quests can be done then  reclick it to contract it.

would save a lot of space if you have a lot of quests ^^

example http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=34037&hl=sky%27s
i want to use your script coz it has everything i need ^^ only this option is missing
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:52:56 PM by Mitsarugi »

Rep:
Level 66
Haven't been on for ages -.-
hi ummm, how do you make a quest that requires you to get some things

i.e.
'Claire has told me to get 10 swords for the guard trainees'
because I can't figure out how.

plz show images aswell or make a demo PLZZZZZZZzz :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
How about the demo... that's already there?
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 66
Haven't been on for ages -.-
um yeah it is there but the only thing is the stick I mean like 100 or 10 things

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
um yeah it is there but the only thing is the stick I mean like 100 or 10 things

like this? http://rpg-maker-vx.bbactif.com/t10324p20-fenetre-de-quete
the 4rth post
its a window that shows how much items you need, would be great if Modern Algebra would add that option ^^

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
Modern Algebra is it possible to add an option to show how much of an item you already have?
like a quest asks you to get 4 iron ore and when you get 1 or more it says so in the quest window?

Examples:
Objectives
Get 4 Iron ore  1/4

Objectives
Kill 20 Crabs 13/20

Rep:
Level 67
Eternal Newbie
Modern Algebra is it possible to add an option to show how much of an item you already have?
like a quest asks you to get 4 iron ore and when you get 1 or more it says so in the quest window?

Examples:
Objectives
Get 4 Iron ore  1/4

Objectives
Kill 20 Crabs 13/20
Since this script requires Paragraph Formatter and Special Codes formatter, you can probably just use
\v[x]
and store those quest objectives in a variable. For example:
Every time you kill a crab
Change Variable 0001: add 1

On the objectives, you would write
Kill 20 Crabs \v[1]/20
I don't know how you should tell it to complete the quest, but probably something that checks "When Variable 0001 >= 20, run script "complete_objective (1, 2)"