RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Quest Journal v. 2.1

Rep:
Level 75
What the...?
I don't know if this constitutes a double post.  But, I wanted you to know I'd responded, and if I just edit the last post, I'm not sure it you would be able to notice.  So. . .

Modern, I've read this post and saw where you didn't want to make the objectives scrollable.  So, I was wondering, to your knowledge, has anyone else modified your script that way?  I really need it to scroll.  I use it not only to store quests, but also information on specific topics.  Stuff the player should be able to access, once he/she has learned it,  at any time.  I tried the idea of making fonts smaller and closing the gap between the objectives (the latter with which  I had an overlapping problem!)   Anyway, I was just wondering.  And if you don't know of such a modification, what would be the keys to implementing the idea myself?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Most Mature Member
I on't know of any such modification - it would certainly be easy to do though. Essentially, all you'd need to do is make it so that the refresh method for the quest details window not only clears the contents but calculates how much room is needed and make the contents Bitmap large enough to accomodate that. After that, it is a simple matter of checking if Up or Down are pressed and changing the oy of the window accordingly. You would also need to introduce into the update method a simple check for whether Button C (Enter) was pressed. If so, play decision and turn on whatever you will have that makes the quest details window active and the list window inactive.

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Y <3 ?
Silver - GIAW 11 (Normal)
I know this might seem a simple fix, but I've even removed the script and re-added it to clear up anything that I might have done to the script. I get a different error almost every time I run my game and its directly related to the Quest Log... Maybe I'm just not understanding it, or maybe I'm just typing it up wrong in the script, I have no clue, but its becoming frustrating... -.-'

When I added a quest to the script, I get an error that talks about the Prime. I only want there to be one Quest objective, but it wont accept it until I add a second quest objective.

Code: [Select]
    when 0001
      name = 'Mission Report Delivery'
      description = 'Deliver the Mission Report on the scouting mission that was performed against Kalic Von Sonne to Captain Rhyes.'
      objective[0] = 'Pick up Mission Report'
      objectives[1] = 'Deliver Mission Report to Captain Rhyes'
      prime = [0,1]
      icon_index = 141

After I have done this, I tried to get it to run in the game, and instead I get the following error:

http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/4763/locker/MAs_QuestJournal_ObjectiveError.png

But this is all I have set up in my Event to start the quest:

$game_party.quests[0001].concealed = false
$game_party.quests[0001].uncomplete_objectiv
e (0)

This is probably something I'm just doing wrong, but again, I'm just confused...  :'(

Thanks for any help you guys can offer~
"If you see it, it is not truly there. If you dream it, it will never appear when you waken. If you love it, it will never leave you. Love him... Though he is not real and though you may never see him when you awaken tomorrow." ~ Sorceress of Gaida, Quote from: Eriscadia - The Fall of Nations
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1352/

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Most Mature Member
Well, firstly, don't put the leading 0s as it is unnecessary and it tells the interpreter to use a different base. Just put 1, not 0001.

Secondly, you have it there as objective[0]; it has to be objectives[0]. You forgot the plural, which is probably why you were encountering a problem with prime, since you didn't have any objectives. That is also why you had the error with objective being an undefined local variable.

Thirdly, when using call scripts, each line is interpreted separately and so you can't let them divide like that. So, instead of:

$game_party.quests[0001].uncomplete_objectiv
e (0)

do:

q = $game_party.quests[1]
q.uncomplete_objective (0)

Y <3 ?
Well, firstly, don't put the leading 0s as it is unnecessary and it tells the interpreter to use a different base. Just put 1, not 0001.

OK, fixed that one; didn't realize it would cause an issue doing that... Thanks.

Secondly, you have it there as objective[0]; it has to be objectives[0]. You forgot the plural, which is probably why you were encountering a problem with prime, since you didn't have any objectives.

I did this, and figured out what you were talking about... Thank you very much for clearing that one up. :)
Now, when I open the game and play it though, this is what I see with the Quest Info:

(Sorry, I tried to hide it under a "Show" button, but I couldn't figure out how to do that...) :(

q = $game_party.quests[1]
q.uncomplete_objective (0)

Will this work the same way if I do:

q.complete? (0)

Or am I looking at this wrong? As far as I see it in the script, it says to place down the "complete?" code and then it would check to see if all the objectives are completed then that would end the quest... Or am I not reading it right again...?    -.-'
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:13:41 PM by kitten2021 »
"If you see it, it is not truly there. If you dream it, it will never appear when you waken. If you love it, it will never leave you. Love him... Though he is not real and though you may never see him when you awaken tomorrow." ~ Sorceress of Gaida, Quote from: Eriscadia - The Fall of Nations

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, well you need to reveal the objective in order for it to show up in the Quest Journal.

Secondly, yes q.complete? would work, but you'd need to put the q = $game_party.quests[1] above it everytime you wanted to refer back to the quest as q. Since you would normally only need to check complete? if in a Conditional Branch, just write out the whole thing as $game_party.quests[1].complete?

Y <3 ?
You are amazing, MA... Thank you so very much for walking me through this problem. :)

Rep:
Level 84
Yes, hoh my gawd!
MA, I had an idea I wanted to do for my new config. For the color options, I wanted to let the user choose from a color picker. But seeing you're option is based from a window skin it makes it a tad bit difficult. So I had an idea for a modification you could do.

In the script, check to see if the option is a number or a color.
if color.is_a?(Color)
elsif color.is_a?(Numeric)
end

And in my config, users would be able to use window skin colors or a color picker.

Also shoulda mentioned this in the config post but I'm planning on creating a system where it will load your icon sheet and you can choose the icon. Visual icon viewer FTW! Same thing with the color, it'll most likely load the window skin up and let you choose which color.

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, that's a good idea. I have done that for my newer scripts, though I usually use it as an array rather than a color object. I really should update this Quest Journal to v. 2 but I won't be able to until exams are over on the 21. But once that is done, I will update this script and the ATS and will include that feature.

Rep: +0/-0Level 70
Project: Runaway, Young Knights
I've been using game_guy's Quest Journal Config and i'm not too sure on how to create a quest. He told me to refer to this thread for help. I know i'm supposed to replace the script with the one I made in his program, but I don't know how to continue on and make the quest via eventing. Is GG's config supposed to take away all the scripting put into events or just reduce them? Help soon always appreciated. ;D

Rep:
Level 97
Not supposed to do anything to the evented stuff. All the instructions are in the script and I can't really explain it better in a general way than I did there. If you have a more specific question then maybe I can help. For instance, if you wanted to know how to reveal a new objective, then I could say use this code:

$game_party.quests[quest_id].reveal_objective (objective_id)

and this code to complete the objective:

$game_party.quests[quest_id].complete_objective (objective_id)

But all of that is spelled out in the script and I have no idea how I could better help you in a general way than I did in the script itself.

Rep:
Level 84
Yes, hoh my gawd!
I've just released the brand new config app for this script. Check it out! :)
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,38995.msg452927.html#msg452927

EDIT:
MA, if I may request, after you release 2.0, you should still keep 1.1 in your first post as well. As the new features in 2.0 look great and stuff, I still like the simplicity of 1.1 and I'm sure a few others agree as well. Just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:33:43 PM by game_guy »

Rep:
Level 97
I intend to keep it up, if for no other reason than that it has over 4000 downloads and my pride won't let me delete that record :P But yeah, the changes in 2.0 are mostly superficial but the configuration became pretty unwieldy; I can certainly see why some people would want to stick with 1.1

The new config tool looks awesome!

Rep:
Level 97
As promised, I have now released 2.0. You can find the script here and I have attached a demo to the first post here. Enjoy and help me out by giving feedback.

Version 1.1 is still up and supported for anyone who encounters any problems using that. I will help you out.

For people already using 1.1 and wanting to convert their projects to the new Quest Journal 2.0, you don't have to TOTALLY restart making all of your quests. Just go to line 392 and replace the when branches there with the ones you made for 1.1. Then, if you wanted to make use of the new features like rewards, you can add those lines. Otherwise, the quests you setup will look and operate exactly like they did in 1.1. Similarly, all of the old commands, like $game_party.quests[id].reveal_objective (y) still work, so you won't need to go changing every event you ever used it for. But there are easier ways to do it now.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 03:09:07 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 84
Yes, hoh my gawd!
And bam, I've got the base design for the 2.0 config app done <3

Rep:
Level 97
Sweet! You're fast.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
That's incredible G_G.
And amazing work, MA. You keep me motivated.
(Your scripting is fucking magic.)
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 97
I'm glad you like it. I'm a little worried that the number of settings might be daunting and will not really be used, but hopefully that is not the case. Just remember folks, the only things you need to create are the quests - changing any of the settings is purely optional as the script works fine without modifying those at all. If you are happy without the new features, you don't have to touch them.

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Yo!

First off: this is the best Quest Script out there, all categories. Loving it.

Buuuut... I´ve got two little problems. Probably I´m the cause somehow, but I can´t seem to figure it out myself, so I need some help.

1. The text is getting cut off.

I´ve got all necessary scripts. Above the Full HP/MP when lvl up script are the default VX scripts. Below your Bitmap Addons are Yanfly´s Melody System. That´s the only scripts I´m using. Any ideas? This happend to Quest Journal 1.1 in an old project of mine btw, even though I used Paragraph Formatter there too...

===========================================================

2. It´s says it is compatible with Melody Menu System, but I had to put the Quests in the menu manually, via the Common Event future in Melody Menu. The compatibility between those two systems should be plug and play, yes?

EDIT: Need to stress that this is a really good script and I really like most of your work, Modern! You´re keeping lots of game making nerds happy!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:57:17 PM by Jensen »

Rep:
Level 97
1. That is annoying. The problem is that the Paragraph Formatter relies on the text_size method of Bitmap, but that method is inaccurate for some fonts. It's a tough problem to fix as it needs to be tailored to specific fonts and/or characters. At one time I had developed a script which allowed you to choose a font and then generate a script to fix it by manually tweaking the value returned for each character, but I stopped for some reason. I will see if I can't go back and finish that. In the meantime, could you send me the font you are using? (Also, you can use "\n" (just one \, not \\) to manually break the line since you are using Special Codes Formatter, but that is not a permanent solution. I will fix it for you either with the generator or otherwise). Also, your post made me decide to repost the script. I added a feature that allows you to turn off the text justification (making the text fit the line) - that will probably solve the font issue in most cases. Again though, I will make you a real fix once you send me the font.

2. To be compatible with Main Menu Melody, it needs to be underneath Main Menu Melody in the order. I probably should have made that more clear, but if you were to do that there would be no reason to manually add it. That said, aside from convenience, the only difference between manually adding it and not is that if it were automatically added then the change_quest_access code will work. If you manually add it, you need to assign switches to perform those functions.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:17:59 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 84
Yes, hoh my gawd!
Hey MA, you wouldn't mind if I redid my quest system to basically kind of follow yours would you? I wouldn't be using your code, but mostly just the features and configuration you offer.

Rep:
Level 97
Not at all. Have fun with it!

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRK2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Let me take the time to say... that demo was adorable. :) Who knew Ralph could have such a soft-side?
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
Modern Algebra i see you added many fonctions to your script and i was wondering if you could please add some fonctions for me like an add-on?
a fonction to show the clients location and the clients name would be handy, don't you think so?
so we know at least who and where the quest came from :)

Rep:
Level 82
I wrote up such an add-on for the previous version, though unreleased anywhere as it is unfinished. It added a few features:

- client location/name
- quest level (to give details on the battle difficulty of the area you'd be going to)
- rewards list, including money earned and items you'd receive

This was written at time when I was learning to script, so I ended up butchering MA's original script (Sorry about that) and made a number of changes as a means of learning, but if he doesn't (or doesn't want to) make such a thing, I'll happily work on a conversion (and use better coding practices) to expand it.

My add-on also provided a front-end to selecting and activating quests because my particular game is/was (not sure yet) going to provide a kind of quest board for you to choose the quest(s) to complete.

Some screenshots of said extras:
Spoiler for:

First page: client details and quest summary

Second page: quest objectives

Third page: For the rewards, the icons mean (in order): exp, money, items.

Also happy to make it any specific requirements too.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 01:16:29 PM by LoganForrests »
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)