RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Quest Journal v. 2.1

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
I have made everything so as in Demo. Everything it  looks good, but when I want to open "Quests" in Menu it appears error:

?

I know, my English is terrible. I'm sorry.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I suspect you have not added the Paragraph Formatter. Get it here:  http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,25129.0.html

Or you can get it from the demo.

This script looks amazing! And I'm sure it is, but I'm having some problems with it... I put in the script as is downloaded from the site and my game runs fine. But when I try to open the menu an error occurs which says:

"Script 'Quest Journal' line924: NoMethodErrorOccured
undefined method '>=' for nil:NilClass"

Am I doing something wrong? What's happening?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
It might be incompatible with other scripts. Do you have a script that modifies the menu?

Yes, I am using Woratana's Monster Book. If they are incompatible that is okay, the monster book isn't that important to me.

Rep:
Level 97
I think I've seen this problem before; the solution is probably in one of the replies in this topic.

If I remember correctly, all you need to do is press CTRL+H and replace disabled_commands with ma_disabled_commands in my script and they'll be compatible. I think...

Alternatively, you could try another Monster book script or another Quest Journal; there are plenty out there. My monster Catalogue Script is here in the database, and there is also a KGC one I believe. Samo, Omegas7 and Lomastul all have quest logs too.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll see what works!

I got problem can you make the line $game_party.quests[1].complete_objective (0) shorter
on the quest journal because when i type $game_party.quests[1].complete_objective (0)
the quest journal says error it doesn't fit in one line the (0) part get to lower line

Rep:
Level 97
Separate it into two lines then:

Code: [Select]
quest = $game_party.quests[1]
quest.complete_objective (0)

If I were writing the script now, I would put in an easier interface, but I don't want to update the script with something superficial like that, sorry.

EDIT::

Just checked my email - don't report things like that. Reporting to a moderator is when something is wrong with the post; breaks the rles, flaming, etc... not for personal gain. Abuse it again and I will ban you.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 08:37:25 PM by modern algebra »

Replacing disabled_commands with ma_disabled_commands worked! Thank you so much! this truly is a great script!

Rep:
Level 97
Good to hear! :)

Is there a simple way to check if a specific quest objective is complete?  I couldn't find a method specified in your script, so I kind of improvised.  I found out that this way works:
@>Conditional Branch: Script: $game_party.quests[2].complete_objectives.size == 2

Of course, it only works if the objectives are completed in order.

I suppose I could use:
@>Conditional Branch: Script: $game_party.quests[2].complete_objectives.index(1) != nil

EDIT: It seems as though I've forgotten about Switches.  That's what I get for playing around with RMVX scripts at four in the morning...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:04:06 AM by Rycr »

Rep:
Level 97
haha, yeah - the quest journal was designed to supplement quest making with a visual interface, but the execution of the quests was always intended to be done through the regular eventing processes. In retrospect, it wold've been a good idea to include easier ways of checking data like whether a specific objective had been completed, and the best code for it would be:

$game_party.quests[n].complete_objectives.include? (x)

Right, yeah, that would work better.  I'm a little new to Ruby and RGSS, so I haven't learned all of the methods and such just yet.

By the way, excellent job on this!  It's just what I needed.

Rep:
Level 82
sought once the script! thanks.

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
Hey, I absolutely *love* your scripts.  I'ma RPG VX noob in general, so if anything I say is stupid or not physically(Virtually) possible, just shout it out.

O.K.  I just saw your Quest Journal and was very very very impressed with it's comliments, and the look.  However, my computer tells me that i'm doing something wrong.  I've read though this entire thread to try and find a similar problem, but i can't seem to find one, so here it goes.

Lets get some things strait before we try and figure this out:
Paragraph script installed
demo script installed (Quest)
demo .txt file (re-installed & replaced demo script)

Here's the big one, and i think it might be it, but i doubt that it is.

Scene Menu ReDux + KGC Custom Menu Command

Now here's the situation, Whenever i try to open up the quests option in the custom menu, I get the following mesage:

Scipt 'Quest Journal (modern algebra)' line 734: NoMethodError Occured:

undefinded method 'list' for nil:NilClass.

Please Help!!!!!
"It is better to take what is not yours, than leave it there, neglected."
--Mark Twain

Rep:
Level 97
You have both SMR and KGC CMC?

Try rearranging the order of the scripts and see what happens. By that I mean, try putting Quest Journal below all your other scripts (still above Main), and report what happens.

What the error is suggesting to me is that the quests variable in Game_Party isn't being initialized, and I don't think either SMR or KGC CMC would overwrite the initialize method of Game_Party, so I actually suspect it's a different script causing the problem. So, if no error pops up after you move the Quest script below all your other scripts, but something else kind of funky happens with the menu, then try putting the menu scripts below Quest, but otherwise all other scripts should stay above the Quest script.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:25:04 PM by modern algebra »

Ok, I figured out the problem, and it's a silly stupid one(I don't mean your code is stupid).  I should have seen it first when you said that paragraph formater is needed.  I need to put paragraph formatter DIRECTLY OVER the Quest Journal, just like other compatable scripts.  But...  There's just one more thing.  (Luved the quick reply)  Ok, now i get fixnum (Error 500) I'll look into that though becuase i could have sworn that i've seen that in this thread somewhere, so i'll get back to you later if i figure out the problem.  Thanks for these GREAT SCRIPTZZ!!!
--Mark Twain

Rep:
Level 97
Can you look into the script, and report exactly what that line is with the surrounding lines? Since you may have set up or removed quest data, a line number isn't sufficient for me to be able to look it up. Line 500 in my version is a blank line.

Damn, told you I was a noob.  Well, i guess i wasn't too clear in my error.  My bad.  There is absolutely no problem with the code now.  But the YanFly ReDub is doin some sorta funny whenever i close the quest journal, and it gives me the fixnum.  I think it's a menu thing, and i still swear that i saw the fix in this thread before...  Oh well i can't find it now.

You might be able to help, but i'm goin over the YanFly's portion now to see if she can help, because i think now it's mostly her script, but i can still be wrong.  here's the line in her scipt.  Maybe you can make something of it?

$scene = eval(menu_command[4] + ".new")

If that still doesn't help this was from line 500 (Well, i think you knew that) so yeah.  Her code is http://www.pockethouse.com/rpgvx/scripts/scenemenuredux.txt
--Mark Twain

Rep:
Level 97
I think one of the first two or three posts in the Scene Menu Redux topic here on RMRK addresses it.

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,33381.msg404078.html#msg404078

I think one of the first two or three posts in the Scene Menu Redux topic here on RMRK addresses it.

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,33381.msg404078.html#msg404078

THANK YOU!!! :tpg: ;D
--Mark Twain

Hey modern, love those scripts you make and i really want to use your quest system...

But after everything you did to the script, you didn't put a way to customize the quest category ;/

i'm making a "open world" game and will add alot os systems to it, one of them is "monster hunting" and I need a new quest menu just for it... or a new category

cant you make a menu before your quest system with customizable selections?

like... if the menu call your quest script it will check if there is more than one entry in system variable, if there is... then it will show a menu BEFORE your quest menu with the custom choices

it could be something like "monster hunt" "history quests" "side quests" and every menu would show only the quests linked to it

=====

and your bestiary could include custom content too... I made some monsters "like" and "hate" certain itens if it's not much trouble, cant you add a new call to your bestiary to show custom stats and make a way to unlock then by event?

========

sorry for those requests when it's just my first post... but i really need those and your's is the only quest system that really works for what i want to do

and sorry for the bad english, not my first lang ;x

edit==============================

dunno if you know about the "ACS" script... it's a crafting system that uses expandable category for itens...
if you could make your quest system like that it would be easier on the eyes
just anexed it if you never heard about the script.

about the objectives scroll... you could put it to scroll down and put your "notepad" feature later on a keyboard key press o.o

just a idea o/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:46:16 PM by h3llh0und »

lolDecember.
Well, I started using this script and I copy-pasta'd it where it should go. The problem is, everytime I put an event, then the little code so it appears, the Quest Log doesn't appear. I then tried by making it able to put it up with L (In which I tried to change to another letter too but couldn't of course), and it didn't work either. Am I supposed to do something else beside copy pasting? If it isn't, what do I really have to put on the script tab on event to make it appear? Maybe I'm putting it wrong.

Rep:
Level 97
Well, just look at the demo - what's in the event is how you advance quests and such. As for setting the quest to open on key press, I'm certain that I put in an option for that, but you have to choose buttons, and those don't correspond to letter keys. To set that up, you can press F1 and change the mapping, but by default L => Q, R=> W. So, Input::L means you have to press Q to open it.

As for opening it through a call script, I believe it's just $scene = Scene_Quest.new (0), but I'm not totally certain about that since I haven't looked at it for a long long time.

@h3llhound - sorry for not responding earlier. I totally missed your post. I don't really have any plans in the works for this script, and a few of those I wouldn't do anyway. The categories is a good idea however, so I might do that, but probably not for a while.