RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Quest Journal v. 2.1

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
I have the script correct on both the description/setup of the quest and the call script. Both say 1, not 0. I really don't understand what's wrong. I'm going to try deleting the ACS again. Here is my game below for you to try to find the mistake. Anyone else on here is free to take a look at is as well. (There isn't much yet) However, if you steal my ideas, I will hunt you down!  :mad: lol

-edit: I deleted the ACS again... and still nothing. I'm clueless... It's probably a really stupid PEBKAC error. :/
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:49:42 PM by modern algebra II »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Both shouldn't say 1. That number should be different for every quest. Try changing the second quest to "when 2".

EDIT:: I just downloaded to check if that is the problem. I also took it off your post so that nobody else could get to it to steal ideas :P I'll get back to you soon. I think I misunderstood your previous post.

@Da Bee: The Paragraph Formatter is messing up because of how small your text is. There's not a whole lot that I can do about that, unfortunately, as my formatter works by using an internal Bitmap method called text_size, and since that is inaccurate, my Quest Log will be as well. What I would suggest is to go into the script and press CTRL-F and look for all things that say this: <.size -= 4> without the arrows. Then play around with that value until it gets to a size at which text_size is determined accurately.

EDIT 2::

Okay, I found your problem keyonne, and it's in this screenshot:

You have to change the 0 to 1, so Conditional Branch: Script: $game_party.quests[1].complete?

But, you also need to reveal an objective here too, as it's kind of weird to have a quest without objectives :P
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 03:07:00 PM by modern algebra II »

Rep:
Level 85
OK, I'll play around with the settings. Thanks for all your help.

You are just awesome. One thing though; the remove script won't remove the quest from teh list in the menu. :/

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I am guessing that that is because you are re-initiating the quest simply by having it in a parallel process. The Quest Script reveals a quest every time it is called, so the very fact that you are checking if it is complete (constantly), it is re-revealing the quest. So, either turn off the Switch [0009: End of Opening] or introduce another way to stop that check once the quest has been completed and it should go away.

lol now I feel like an idiot. ^.^' I set the quest updated to a call event, but I think I'll just put it into the objective events next time to save the hassle.

Rep:
Level 85
Scooby dooby doo
Thanks so much.
If you wouldn't of added that demo, I would of gave up on trying to configure it.
It's really useful, and I'm using it for my RPG.
Thanks <3

Uh oh, problem.
I have 2 quests set up.
I got one quest working and it and it's objectives are in the journal.
But when I summon the next quest it shows up as "? ? ? ? ? ? ?" (without the spaces) in the journal.
And there's a extra "? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?" (without the spaces)

So 3 Quests.

Code: [Select]
   when 1 # Townsfolk
      name = 'Townsfolk'
      description = 'Talk to all of the townsfolk in Lathern'
      objectives[0] = 'Talk to the townsfolk'
      objectives[1] = 'Return to the Priest'
      icon_index = 79
    when 4 # Fathur
      name = 'Fathur'
      description = 'Head through Emerald Forest, Go to Eurean, Talk to Fathur.'
      objectives[0] = 'Talk to Fathur'
      objectives[1] = 'blah'
      objectives[2] = "blah"
      # Set prime objectives in an array based on index
      prime = [0, 2]
      icon_index = 137

The Townsfolk quest is the one that works, and the Fathur one shows up as a "? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?" (without the spaces)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 11:28:11 AM by Scooby »

Rep:
Level 97
When those question marks pop up, it means that you are calling a quest that is either not created or does not have a name given. So: that tells me that you are calling two quests that you have not made.

So, go through the events which cause these question marks to pop up and, since your 'Fathur' (Father?) quest has ID 4, make sure that the only $game_party.quests lines have ID 4.

Remember, anytime you mention another quest, such as $game_party.quests[3] or $game_party.quests[2], you will initialize it in the menu, and since they don't exist, they show up with default values, including the default name of ? ? ? ? ? ? . So, make ssure all $game_party.quests lines have ID 4, or else change the ID of the 'Fathur' quest in the database.

I love the idea, but I'm having a small issue with looking at my quests.  I left the demo quests up just to I could see how it works.  I called the script in to the game with "$game_party.quests[quest_id]" (quest id being 1...fetch).  I go to menu and look at the quest and receive an error

????? 'Quest Journal' ? 800 ??? NameError ????????
uninitialized constant Window_QuestInfo::Paragrapher 

:-\ How can this be fixed?  :'(

Rep:
Level 97
My guess is that you did not install the Paragraph Formatter. You can take it from the demo directly or it's topic here in the database.

How do I call the script if I was to talk to someone? Also, how do I link it with a custom menu system? I added the script and it brought out it's own menu.

Thanks.

Rep:
Level 97
I imagine that that would mean that your other script is not named Scene_Menu? I can't imagine how to include it with your CMS that I do not know anything about - I need to see the script to see what needs to be done.

To call it from talking to someone, all you need to do is:

$scene = Scene_Quest.new

If you want to call it to a specific category and quest index, then add the arguments (category_index, quest_index) -

so $scene = Scene_Quest.new (1, 2) would bring you to 2nd active quest.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 11:35:41 AM by modern algebra II »

Alright thanks I got the calling part.

Well I don't neccesarily need to link it with my custom menu system, but I just wanted to know. One thing though, when you call the quest screen and then exit, it goes to your menu screen. How do I disable that so that it exits the quest screen and doesn't go to your main menu screen?

Oh yeah, I would like it so that it doesn't show up as Quests on the main menu screen.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 05:02:49 PM by R P G »

Rep:
Level 97
See this section - it starts at around line 87

#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  # * Constants
  # * Editable Region
  QUESTS_LABEL = 'Quests'        # What you want Quests to be called (eg. 'Missions')
  ACTIVE_QUEST_ICON = 149        # What icon signifies a quest is active
  COMPLETE_QUEST_ICON = 150      # What icon signifies a quest is complete
  FAILED_QUEST_ICON = 179        # What icon signifies a quest is failed
  BULLET_CHARACTER = '?'         # The character used for listing objectives
  ACTIVE_COLOUR = 0              # The colour of a quest that is active
  COMPLETE_COLOUR = 11           # The colour of a quest that is complete
  FAILED_COLOUR = 18             # The colour of a quest that is failed
  MENU_ACCESS = true             # Can the script be accessed through the menu?
  MENU_INDEX = 4                 # If above is true, where in the command window?
  KEY_ACCESS = false             # Can the quest log be accessed by a key         
  MAPKEY_BUTTON = Input::L       # If above is true, which button?

To make it so that it has a different label (not 'Quests') , change QUESTS_LABEL

To disable menu access, set MENU_ACCESS = false. That will also make it so that it returns to the Map once you exit the scene. I don't really have anything in place if you want to be able to access it from the menu but not go back to the menu. Sorry. There might be a way to get around it, but nothing built into the script and no way I can think of right now.

Hey thanks a lot for your time Modern. It works perfectly. Thank you.

- Oh yeah one more thing, what would I have to delete in the script in order to just show 3 categories and not give an option to show "All" quests?

For example, when I open up the quest window, it first shows quests from a certain place, then when I use the horizontal keys to move right into a different category, it shows quests from that particular place and so on. Each icon will list quests from that specific place.

The quests in my game are just for fun to gain extra items and gold so you can never fail them. Is there a way to delete or modify that column?

Sorry if this will be too much work to look into. I don't know anything about scripts. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 06:04:44 PM by R P G »

Rep:
Level 86
The script works perfectly for me, but I gots a question now. Is there a way to set up the menu part so it only shows the first tab, the one that lists all quests. So the player can only use that tab, and the other two don't show up or anything? If not, its okay, I was just wondering since my game I would use this in would only have one quest listed.

Oh, and if I set more objectives than the window can hold for a quest, will it allow the player to scroll down, or will I have to conceal some?

Rep:
Level 97
No, it won't scroll down.

No, there is no way built in to only show the one tab, sorry. It wouldn't be a very hard edit, but I don't have the time right now. Sorry.

Rep:
Level 86
No problem, I was just wondering. Either way, great script!

I am attempting to use this Script with the KCG_CustomMenuCommand script from the demo that can be found at http://www.rpgmakervx.net/?showtopic=1044. i am experiencing a problem with  the Quest Script  disabling some of the commands  they added as well as the script causing some of the menu items to be renamed. if you have time Modern would you mind looking at these scripts and seeing if you can make them compatible. i would really like to use your script.

Rep:
Level 97
Try putting the Quest Journal below all of the KGC scripts in the editor

I have them  bellow all of the KGC scripts and  i am still en countering  a bug where the status menu command gets renamed with the default dfficulty setting.
I would like to thank you for creating this script  it  really was what i was looking for.

Rep:
Level 97
I just added my Quest Journal to the KGC Scripts Library, and there is no problem I can detect. Do you have any other scripts that might be interfering. Here's what my screen looks like:

And my script editor:

Thank you for the time you are taking to help.  I do not have any other scripts save for the KCG scripts.  Going back and checking it i find  that the command name change only occurs when i change the difficulty. if there is any information i can give you to help i would be glad too.

Rep:
Level 97
I see. Well go into KGC_BattleDifficulty in the Scripts Editor and go to line 524:

@command_window.replace_command(@__command_set_difficulty_index,

Change it to:

@command_window.replace_command(@__command_set_difficulty_index + 1,

See if that fixes the problem.

Thank you for your assistance it  works without error now.