RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Quest Journal v. 2.1

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Umm, can I see a test project with the error recreated for me?

Actually, here, I quickly modified the script to use a hash instead of an array to store quests - so try to see if the script in this demo works -
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 05:19:08 AM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 86
I hate everyone except the ones I don't hate...
Wow, that's a lot of errors and small fixes... anyways, I'm trying it out right now, it sounds (and looks) to cool to be true!
I wonder how many of my-reps are there for a reason, and not just because some jackass wanted to show off in front of some other jackasses...?
Probably a lot of them - and those people sure as hell don't deserve my pity, let alone my disgust.
That's right, let's see some more -Rep'ing! BOOYEAH!!

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
the down event without icon reveal a qest, and up exent without icon delete it. But if i want delete dosent happend :/
try:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UVMA097X

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Well, the error is not in the script, but I have uploaded a version that stores the quests in a hash.

Anyway, your problem is that you have a common event turned on that consistently recreates the quest every time you remove it. Your problem will be fixed so long as you turn the Quest switch off before you remove the quest.

On a side note, your game looks pretty nice.

Wow, that's a lot of errors and small fixes... anyways, I'm trying it out right now, it sounds (and looks) to cool to be true!

No errors yet, thank God. So far, it's just been adding a few features.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 05:19:46 AM by modern algebra »

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
No errors yet, thank God. So far, it's just been adding a few features.

Yeah, so far the script seems to be stable.  :)
What features will you be adding, by the way?
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 97
The biggest planned feature is a Journal, where the user can actually use the keyboard and annotate his quests. Before that, I will probably throw in a journal which the game maker can annotate by command code.

Anyway, your problem is that you have a common event turned on that consistently recreates the quest every time you remove it. Your problem will be fixed so long as you turn the Quest switch off before you remove the quest.

1 lost line and all cushed ;/
thx for help :D

On a side note, your game looks pretty nice.

you script too :D

so i waitnig for v2.0
good luck !

Rep:
Level 97
Alright! Updated to Version 1.1. For you keeping track, this is actually fairly minor, since it is really just a name to encapsulate the new features that Znikomek asked me to add. But, it is characterized by a fix for a bug that kitaangel found involving quests with ID 4, so thanks to both of them.

Thx for update :D

This is  my first time working with a script and it seems to be going pretty smoothly. I ran into one hiccup though. Is there anyway to check and see if only a perticular objective was completed?

Rep:
Level 97
Well, not in a special command no. This was intended to be supplementary to the eventing required to make a quest normally, and so it is basically only a visual way of showing quests.

If you want to know when a particular objective has been completed, I would suggest just turning on an in-game switch when you complete the quest, and just checking the switch. That's the easiest way.

If you really don't want to use a switch for it, then you could use this code inside a Conditional Branch Script line:

Code: [Select]
$game_party.quests[quest_id].complete_objectives.include? (objective_id)

Sweet thanks. I've been using the switch. I just didn't know if I was missing something.

Rep:
Level 85
allright i downloaded the demo BuT it is a RAR fiel? i not sure how to open a RAR file in rpgmaker xp I love your quest menu i would really like to use it for my game can u send me a zipped rpg maker xp file of a project like simmular to  :blizj:  Chronicles of Sir Lag-A-Lot like a example game but alot shorter so i can just copy AND paste the script like i did for the Lag a lot ABS here   http://forums.rmrevolution.com/index.php/topic,1244.0.html      ??? ??? ??? ???

Rep:
Level 97
I would suggest you just download WinRAR. It's free and easy to use. But anyway, here is a zip version

Rep:
Level 85
allright i saved it and tryed opening it but it didnt work game rgss2? ya i thought they opened with  just rgss? where do i get # 2 ???

Rep:
Level 97
This is a script for RMVX, not RMXP. To open it, you need to have the program RMVX. To download it, you can go to http://crankeye.com/?page=downloads and get RPG Maker VX English Trial

Rep:
Level 85
so  rpg maker vx is like a updated version of xp can i open all the stuff i have with xp on vx because i have worked hard on this game but i would like to also use your menu system

so  rpg maker vx is like a updated version of xp can i open all the stuff i have with xp on vx because i have worked hard on this game but i would like to also use your menu system
no its not a update.
its rpg maker vx.
just a new rpg maker.
and no u cant open your xp game with a rpg maker vx.
Its Dangerous To Have A Signature These Days.

Rep:
Level 85
ALLRIGHT ILL JUST MAKE A NEW GAME AND THANK YOU I GOT IT ....ITS REALLY HARD TO FIND SCRIPTS FOR RPVX OMG CAN SOMEONE HELP ME FIND A SITE WITH A BUNCH OF SCRIPS INCLUDEING ABS. Its extrimly hard to find scripts that acully work for this program rmxp scripts cant work with it correct? ??? :-* ^-^ ;8 :blizj: :blizj:

Rep:
Level 97
O...K...

Please don't type in all caps. That being said, you don't need to shift your project just for my quest system. There are a lot of quest systems out there for RMXP. Some good sites to look through are hbgames.org and rpgrevolution.com. If you do decide to switch to VX, then rmvx.net is also a possibility, and our own database has about 50 or so scripts for RMVX.

I have a problem. A scripter's least favorite words. :) Ok, I have another script (ACS) which is a crafting system to add tradeskills to my game. I put your script in, edited it, and ran my game as new yet the quest will not show anything. It's there, but it comes up as the default unknown name of ?'s and will not show the objectives or anything. I've used the show command script and it still doesn't show up. :/ I'm afraid my other script might be interfering but I hope to god that isn't the problem because both of them rock and I do not with to part wish either. I don't know what to do.

-edit: I just tried deleting my ACS script and running it that way. It is not the problem. :/ which leaves me even more clueless.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 08:29:16 PM by keyonne »

Rep:
Level 97
I am guessing you did not fill in the quest, or rather, you are giving the wrong ID when you try to give the quest. So, if your setup is:

when 1
   name = '<quest_name>'
   description = '<quest_description>'
   objectives[0] = '<first_objective>'
   objectives[n] = '<nth objective>'
   prime = [<objective_id>, ..., <objective_id>]
   icon_index = <quest_icon_index>

then you need to do $game_party.quests[1] to call that quest. I'm guessing that maybe you are trying $game_party.quests[0] ?

If that doesn't work, you can send the project to me, and I will find and fix the problem then. If you feel uncomfortable sharing your project at this time, then just make a new project and try to reproduce the problem there.

Rep:
Level 85
I have three questions about this.

How many quests can I have? I haven't tried it yet, but if you have more than the journal can fit in, does it scroll down the list?

My writing is really strange in the objectives and description. I am using Arial size 17 bold as my default font for the game. However, in the journal, the formatting is really weird. The last letter from each line gets cut off, and as the paragraphs go down, the spacing between each line gets smaller and smaller. The first paragraph has a space so big you could fit another line in between them. This isn't a major problem, but it makes the journal look untidy.

And I don't seem to be able to have more than four objectives for a quest. My main quest naturally has more than four objectives, but when they get to the bottom of the page, the page doesn't scroll down to see the rest. Perhaps this could be an update in general if it's a big thing; player presses enter on a quest, and the player can then scroll down and interact with the objective area.

If you could answer those, I would be really grateful. Oh, and by the way, this is an AWESOME script!

Rep:
Level 97
It is strange that the last letter from each line is getting cut off, and the spacing problem doesn't make much sense either. Would you mind taking a screenshot?

How many objectives will fit really depends on the length of the description and the length of the objectives. I would suggest cutting down on the length of the sentences. If you really need to have a lot of objectives in a quest, then I would suggest concealing objectives. Say, after you achieve three objectives, then just conceal the first objective, etc...

The reason I do not want to do it as you say, with pressing enter, is simply because I already have another plan for Enter in that script. Really though, there isn't much of a reason to have so many objective in a quest. If the number of objectives is greater than the size of the window, then I would suggest splitting the quest into parts.

As to a maximum number of quests, you can have as many as you want - it's only a question of memory. That list will scroll if you have more than fits the window. Once it gets high enough though, around 150 or so on my computer, then it will generate some minor lag when you first open the scene. I have a fix for that already, but I figure I will just release it with version 2.0 once I've finished the Journal half of the script.

Rep:
Level 85

That's the problem. You can see the paragraph problem. The space gets smaller and smaller with each paragraph. And you can see those words with the ends cut off.

As for the objectives problem... I guess you're right. I'll find a way around it. I did contemplate splitting the main quest up, but I'm struggling to find a way that doesn't just seem... forced, if you know what I mean.