RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Quest Journal v. 2.1

Rep:
Level 83
UPDATE: I am supernoob, I had to start a new game in order to have the quest log effect applied.  All the scripts I am running work great now.  Thanks for all you help! :D

And I tried changing the scripts in the data folder, and nothing happened, which is why I asked you.  I guess I just needed to restart RMVX.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:12:29 AM by Sartory »
Shadow Resistance - My first VX game.

Mapping - 60% done
Eventing - 33% done
Scripting - 47% done
Plot - 72% done
Database - 12% done

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,33686.0.html

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
OK, I found an internet connection for now, but not my computer, so no RMVX.

I want you to stop trying to edit your scripts, since you're making things worse. Like I said, the Scripts.rvdata I sent works for me, but it doesn't sound like you knew what to do with it, so detailed instructions:

You aren't supposed to open it, not externally. You can edit it through RMVX. That's what you are doing when you play around with the Scripts Editor.

What I wanted you to do with the Scripts.rvdata I attached is save it into the data folder of your project.

So open up your project directory, where you should see a few folders (Graphics, Data, Audio), as well as the exe, an ini, and an rvproj files. Open up the Data folder. Delete the Scripts.rvdata that is in there, then copy the Scripts.rvdata I attached to my previous post and paste it into that folder. Then try the project.

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
I just dont get where to put the scripts in!  HELP!

Hey modern algebra I made a program in visual basic that helps users easily make quests. I decided to post it here if thats ok. I actually made it for a friend who used your script but why not let everyone use it right?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/b2mdpo

Should be simple enough if anyone needs help on it let me know!

Where do you insert the script?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Look elsewhere. The answer doesn't have to be here. MA won't be back until around July 6th, so look elsewhere.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
You copy the script from the Script Editor of the demo. So open the demo, and up at the top there is a little icon of a paper and pencil. Click on that or press F11 and it will bring you to the Script Editor. Scroll down to below Materials and you'll see two entries: Paragraph Formatter and Quest Journal. Copy them and paste them into the Script Editor of your game at around the same place.

If you mean the thing that game_guy made, then that is a separate program altogether, and all you need to do is run it.

...whatever
umm need help i keep gettin the error "Script 'Quest Journal' line 164: SyntaxError occurred" but i cant find whats wrong or anything please help me! btw this script is very good :blizj:

edit:
already fixed myself
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:59:03 AM by heyoka »

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

1 thing: my english is very bad because im dislexion and im dutchXD

Rep:
Level 97
You shouldn't get any syntax errors unless you miscopied the script or messed up setting quests up. Try recopying the script into your game; if that doesn't work, copy the lines around and including 164 and show them to me.

I will be gone for the next five days though.

...whatever
yup worked but get other error now(when i wanna go to menu): Script 'Quest journal' line 954 nomethoderror occured. undifened method >= for nil:NilClass. the line is:       i += 1 if i >= ModAlg_QuestData::MENU_INDEX  lines around it and includ line 954:
Spoiler for:
#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  # * Create Command Window
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  alias modalg_quest_journal_menu_cmmnd_win_create create_command_window
  def create_command_window
    modalg_quest_journal_menu_cmmnd_win_create
    # If accessed through map, then don't add it to the menu
    return unless $game_system.quest_menuaccess
    c = @command_window.commands
    c.insert (ModAlg_QuestData::MENU_INDEX, ModAlg_QuestData::QUESTS_LABEL)
    width = @command_window.width
    disabled = @command_window.disabled_commands
    @command_window.dispose
    @command_window = Window_Command.new(width, c)
    @command_window.index = @menu_index
    # Disable all of the old commands as well
    disabled.each { |i|
      i += 1 if i >= ModAlg_QuestData::MENU_INDEX
      @command_window.draw_item (i, false)
    }
    if $game_system.quest_disabled || $game_party.quests.list.empty? # If Quest Journal disabled
      @command_window.draw_item (ModAlg_QuestData::MENU_INDEX, false)
    end
  end
 how to fix it or what did i wrong?
and by the way i used game_guy's thingy to generate it
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 09:05:33 AM by heyoka »

Final Fantasy 7

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, that's a compatibilty error with one of woratana's scripts, though I forget which one.

Try this:

Press CTRL-H, and find everything that is disabled_commands in the script and replace it with ma_disabled_commands, and see if that works.

...whatever
DUDE THANKS SO MUCH IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D thanks real lot :blizj:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 06:53:48 PM by heyoka »

Final Fantasy 7

Rep:
Level 97
That's probably another compatibility problem with one of your other scripts, or else maybe a configuration error. I'm thinking maybe it's sending an icon as an array, rather than an integer? I'm not sure; do you have an animated Icons script or something?

Some cursory things to try would be to place the Quest Journal below any other scripts you have. If that doesn't work, I'd need to see your project, or else a blank project with the error reproduced.

...whatever
already found the glitch.........., forgot to put in the item id's so it didnt had an icon(noob fault sorry for bothering you) :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Final Fantasy 7

Rep:
Level 84
Emissary of Chaos
Just a quick question regarding game guy's program to quickly create quests quickly. Do you need to have his program in the same folder as your game or where does it need to be?

Rep:
Level 97
No, as far as I know you don't. It can be anywhere. Once you've finished generating quests though, you have to copy it and paste it in your Scripts Editor.

Y <3 ?
Silver - GIAW 11 (Normal)
Hi! Umm... I'm new to this scripting thing, so I just wanted to make sure I was understanding the concept of what it was I was actually going to need to do with this quest script.
I just simply copy it out of your demo or from the .txt file and paste it into a new script in my RMVX scripting database manager under the "Materials" section right?
Is there anything in the script that I need to change so that it works with my game, or no?  ???
"If you see it, it is not truly there. If you dream it, it will never appear when you waken. If you love it, it will never leave you. Love him... Though he is not real and though you may never see him when you awaken tomorrow." ~ Sorceress of Gaida, Quote from: Eriscadia - The Fall of Nations
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1352/

Rep:
Level 97
You're right about where to put it. As for making it work with your game, you have to set up all the quests. Just follow the instructions and you should be fine.

Y <3 ?
Silver - GIAW 11 (Normal)
Instructions...? Oh! LOL, now I'm embarrassed...  :-[ LOL. Thank you very much.  :)
"If you see it, it is not truly there. If you dream it, it will never appear when you waken. If you love it, it will never leave you. Love him... Though he is not real and though you may never see him when you awaken tomorrow." ~ Sorceress of Gaida, Quote from: Eriscadia - The Fall of Nations
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1352/

Rep:
Level 83
Project of the Month winner for March 2010
Hi, MA,
than you very much for your work. Unfortunately, I've looked over the pages of this discussion and nobody seems to be having my problem. My problem seems to be related to Dargor's Custom Commands Script. (Yes, I've edited the script as you suggested).
Since I'm also using Dargor's Bestiary and Party Changer Scripts, the 'Quests' command index should be '7' to be right before 'Save' and 'End Game'. I can get the command string properly and in the right position, but then all the following commands won't respond to their name: that would happen to all commands after 'Quests'. So, for instance: 'Save' will open the 'Bestiary' and 'End Game' will open the 'Save Game' screen. I hope I've been detailed enough.
If this can't be solved, I guess I'll switch to the KEY_ACCESS, but I'd like it best in the menu. Again, thank you a lot.
Current Project:

Rep:
Level 97
Hmm...

And you have the Quest Journal underneath the Custom Commands script? I can't think of why that problem might occur.

Can you recreate the error in a separate project and send that to me? Or just send me the actual project if you trust me not to steal anything.

The other thing I could think of is just to set MENU ACCESS off in the Quest Journal and just add it manually through whatever interface Custom Commands lets you add options.

Rep:
Level 83
I created a new project, pasting only some of the scripts, and still I get the same error, so hopefully I won’t have to send you my official project, although I do certainly trust you enough ;) I hope it won’t bug you that some words of the scripts I used have been translated – I’m really Italian, you see. Thanks a lot for your help.
Current Project:

Rep:
Level 97
No, I donèt mind - thatès why theyère configurable :)

Anyway, itès kind of  a hack fix, but go into the Quest Journal script and go to about line 899 to see this:

Code: [Select]
    if @menu_index == 'Quest'
      @menu_index = ModAlg_QuestData::MENU_INDEX
    elsif @menu_index >= ModAlg_QuestData::MENU_INDEX
      @menu_index += 1
    end

Change it to:

if @menu_index == 'Quest'
      @menu_index = ModAlg_QuestData::MENU_INDEX
#    elsif @menu_index >= ModAlg_QuestData::MENU_INDEX
#      @menu_index += 1
    end

then go down to about line 936 and see this:

if @command_window.index == ModAlg_QuestData::MENU_INDEX && Input.trigger? (Input::C)
        if $game_system.quest_disabled || $game_party.quests.list.empty? # If Quest Journal disabled
          Sound.play_buzzer
        else
          # Open Quest Window
          Sound.play_decision
          $scene = Scene_Quest.new
        end
        return
      end
      # If the command index is greater than it ought to be, make sure
      if @command_window.index > ModAlg_QuestData::MENU_INDEX
        @command_window.index = (@command_window.index - 1) % @command_window.commands.size
        changed = true
      end
    end

Replace it with:

if @command_window.index == ModAlg_QuestData::MENU_INDEX && Input.trigger? (Input::C)
          Sound.play_buzzer
        else
          # Open Quest Window
          Sound.play_decision
          $scene = Scene_Quest.new
        end
        return
      end
#~       # If the command index is greater than it ought to be, make sure
#~       if @command_window.index > ModAlg_QuestData::MENU_INDEX
#~         @command_window.index = (@command_window.index - 1) % @command_window.commands.size
#~         changed = true
#~       end
    end

Tell me if that works.

Rep:
Level 83
IT WORKS, IT WORKS!!! :lol: Thank you very much!
Of course I still have no clue of what you’ve done, it seems you “disabled” part of your script, but I hope it wasn’t too much trouble. Again, thanks.
Current Project:

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
How do we check to see if certain objectives of a quest have been revealed? I tried to do a conditional branch with $game_party.quests[1].revealed_objectives[0] as the script part, but it does not work.

Rep:
Level 97
I don't think I put any special command for it. The easiest way to check that sort of thing, unless you need to check it for a number of different quests and stuff, is to just turn on a switch where you have the code to reveal the objective. If you had to check for every objective of every quest, then it might not be prudent, but if you only need to do it occasionally then that is the best way.