RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Advanced Text System 3.0c

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
No, but this script has a feature that allows you to use single face graphics if you name it with an $ at the front, which is what you are doing. Just rename the file and take out the $

Rep: +0/-0Level 67
RMRK Junior
Hey it worked! Thanks so much, I guess after I installed the script it began reading it as a single face... I actually wonder how the program didn't do that before, since it should have, but oh well, derp I guess. :P

Thanks again! And thanks for the script too, my credits are looking great  ;)

Rep:
Level 81
This does not create a choice window, but a regular box of choices. Am I doing something wrong?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Err, lose the plural.

:choice_window, not :choice_windows

Rep:
Level 81
I have tried capitalizing, losing the ":", and changing between plural and singular. Nothing, but changing the default option, has allowed me to bring up a choice window.

This doesn't work either.

Sincerely

Rep:
Level 71
Entity Humanoid Interface
Hi, can anyone help me with this?
As you can see, this is how normal message with Dim background look:

However, when I change the Message_Width in the script to a number smaller than 544, the text display with dim background looks something like this

Which, is a pain to the eyes.

So, is there anyway to keep the Message_width at a smaller number, but not altering the size of the Dim Background? The text can still display at the position it is supposed to be when you shrink the message width, something like this.

If you can help me with it, I would be very grateful. Thank you very much/
I support \\(>O<)b

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
I dont think so, how ever MA may be able to shed light on that.

Rep:
Level 71
Entity Humanoid Interface
Actually what I tried to achieve is what would happen if you adjust message_width in Window_Message instead of the script.
But either way, I guess I would just keep using dimmed picture as background and display text without window OvO
I support \\(>O<)b

Rep:
Level 63
RMRK Junior
Hello when I use:

ats_all (:fit_window_to_text, true)
ats_all (:scroll_speed, 3)
ats_all (:scroll_autopause, true)

That I took from the Opening Part of the Demo [cause it had Text that fit inside the Ginormous Window]. But it constantly will either cut of Text [even if only "Do you want to Fish here?"], or will make the VX Bank Event System go completely Ape5h17. And by that I mean the other problem where It will enlarge the Window by a ton, and Hide the words to everything. Or make the Actor face in the Game go into hiding.

Cause all I want honestly is to type what I want and have it fit in the window. Regardless of how much I type. Or what's on Screen. Oh and how do I add the Portraits of a Character up properly?

Pics in Order:

VX Bank System [and yes 99% 0f all my heads get chopped off] [1 and 2]

Here's what I mean by Ape 5h17 [3]

This is it acting Normal [4]

This is what Number 3 was supposed to look like I think [It usually goes to normal after you make a choice. Or Re-Read something] [5]

----------------

This is supposed to be a small Intro to Maps [Partially Cut off Face] [6]

This is Again Ape 5h17 Screen where my Face and most of the words get Thrown off. Even though I have fit_window_to_text. [7]

This what I mean by only a short sentence is even affected [8].

----------------

Can I get help please? Cause honestly I love the idea of it and what it shows on the Demo. but I'm getting Messed up Everything when I use it.

Rep:
Level 97
OK, well :fit_window_to_text is not the option you seem to want. What that option means is that if you have only short lines, the window will shrink to accomodate. In other words, it changes the window size.

The option it sounds like you are looking for is :paragraph_format, which will fit the text to the window - ie. if the text goes over, it will go to the next line.

For faces, you just need to change the :face_width and :face_height options. If you change them both to 0, then it will always show the whole face. Otherwise, it will cut the image out of the centre of the picture to the values specified.

Have you played through the demo? The guy with purple hair talks about faces, and the guy with red hair explains paragraph formatting.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:13:54 AM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 63
RMRK Junior
I have the VX BAnking Evented System from the Site with ATS 3.0 Attached. With the edits [true / false / numbers changed.] That I've done. When you go to the banker and he shows his List of things [Account Details, Deposit, Withdrawl, etc.] Shows the problem. Where the face and window magically expand [or in my game sometimes shrink. Wich I believe now to be fit_text_to_widow] and not show a face / chunks of entire text.

As for Face Height and Width being 0 to show everything regardless of size. Thank you. That will be a godsend for personalizing NPC's and showing Emotions.

Hopefully the Window problem as demonstrated by the Banking Event + ATS 3 is an easy fix. Thank you very much for your time and your wonderful scripts.

Rep:
Level 75
What the...?
MA,

I ran across this error today while playtesting my project:

I have just installed this little snippet, written by GuyvnerBane, which is supposed to play a SE when a critcal strike takes place.  The error happens only when this script is active.

Code: [Select]
class Scene_Battle < Scene_Base
def display_critical(target, obj = nil)
    if target.critical
      if target.actor?
        text = "\c[5]A DEVASTATING STRIKE!\c[0]"
        Audio.se_play('AUDIO/SE/IMPACT13', 80, 50)
      else
        text = "\c[7]A CRITICAL IMPACT!\c[0]"
        Audio.se_play('AUDIO/SE/IMPACT13', 80, 50)
      end
      @message_window.add_instant_text(text)
      wait(5)
    end
  end

end

Here's the part of the script which has the error in your script:

when "\x1b"                        # Play SE
      @text.sub! (/<(.+?),([MS]E)>/, "")
      $game_message.play_se ((RPG.const_get ($2.to_s)).new ($1.to_s))
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:04:15 PM by IXFURU »

Rep:
Level 97
Well, you have to use \\ (not just \) when message codes are set inside double quotations " ".

My guess is that if you change:

text = "\c[5]A DEVASTATING STRIKE!\c[0]"

to:

text = "\\c[5]A DEVASTATING STRIKE!\\c[0]"

in both places that line appears, then that error will go away.

Rep:
Level 75
What the...?
Okay MA.  Thanks for the help.  It no longer causes the error at the point of attack.  Rather, it now causes one at the end of the battle,(This time in one of the default scripts (Message_Window)).

I know this means that it's no longer an error with your script.  I appreciate it.

Rep: +0/-0Level 57
RMRK Junior
I wanted to add a small feature for myself that can take face_name and face_index as a parameter to show a other faces in the text window and I got that working fine.

Then I started to add feature that could check the current event page if there is suitable information which face to draw.

Nevermind, got it work. But I found a feature. If I draw a NameBox before Face (ie: "\nb[\n[1]]\af[1]Hello!"),
the textwindow doesn't care about the face, but draws the text under it. How do I can fix it?

It's not the big problem, just draw the face before NameBox, but just in case that forgot which one was right order...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:33:44 PM by Ramia73 »

Rep: +0/-0Level 55
RMRK Junior
when I copy the script and add it in the script windwo above main but below materials like you said and then try and play test my game I get this error message, I am using RPGVX ace, I have not even modified or added any events that use choice boxes

Rep:
Level 97
This script is for RMVX, not RMVX Ace.

I have written two scripts so far that simulate some of the features in this script, with more planned. You can find them here: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,44525.0.html

Rep: +0/-0Level 81
I was customising your script to my liking and achieved the following results:

The point is that the script now mysteriously 'eats' some of the space at the beginning of the line and I'm not actually sure where in the script should I use (The "Tester" should say "This is an example text.", but the letter "T" mysteriously disappeared). I was looking for some kind of message_offset setting to move the text a bit to the right, but I have not seen anything like that. Could you help me, please? If you need my current setup, then please let me know.

Edit: Actually, I changed FACE_Z parameter to -1 and the display now works correctly. Case closed.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:50:42 PM by Kaimi »

Rep:
Level 71
Super Maker
Is there an ace version of this planned?
The Maker of Battle Dungeons!!

Spoiler for Big ass signature, bro:
AbsoluteIce I finally say your Sig.

Get by 20 attack Dogs...seriously. I got 20 attack Dogs.

*Your signature was raped changed for taking up too much room.
~Sincerely, a staff member. That is all you need to know. That, and I am no one to be trifled with.

RPGVX Advanced (I Do Not Script Tough)
Hey I have been using this script for months and I've realised something weird that I don't know how to fix..
I wanted to change my game's font, but I'm using the \nb command in my texts and when I change my game font the namebox window won't fix the text..  :( *see attached*
I also attached my 'main' script since it's where I added the 'change font' lines..
I just wonder if it's fixeable, if it's not then it's not too bad I'll just write the names directly in the text, but I kinda like tha nameboxes  :-\

Rep:
Level 97
Sorry, the problem is that the method for calculating text_size doesn't always work for some fonts.

I am not really supporting this script at the moment so I will likely not release a fix anytime soon, but one way to get around that problem is to just add a few spaces after the name. So, instead of \nb{Magma}, use \nb{Magma   }

Also, sorry for missing your post ShinGamix, but some of its features are incorporated into my ATS Series for RMVX Ace.

Oh thanks!  ;D
oh yeah and if I want to change the font in each texts do I really have to use a command in each text boxes ?

Rep:
Level 97
Umm, no I don't think so. I don't really remember this script that well, but just find the following line in the script and change it there:

MESSAGE_FONTNAME = ["Verdana", "Arial", "Courier New"]

Also, if you want to change it in-game, you can just use the following code in a script command:

fn = []
fn.push("Verdana")
fn.push("Times New Roman")
# etc. for each font name, with the first ones being first in priority and the others only being used if the player does not have the first fonts installed
ats_all(:message_fontname, fn)

Omg this is so much more easier than using \fn and \fs in each textboxes thank you so much!  ;D

Rep: +0/-0Level 33
RMRK Junior
Nevermind..... I changed it by enabling the appending, it looks good with that too. Anyway, this script is very useful!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:15:32 AM by danielson »