RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Advanced Text System 3.0c

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
So I am just wondering if you have fixed that text cutting off issue and I think, as I pointed out before, i found a new issue: (unless I am using it wrong)

some text \s[3]....\s[0] some more text

in that example, the dots show up slowly but the text speed never resets at \s[0] thus some more text also come in slowly.

Rep: +0/-0Level 71
Yeah
HELP PLEASE!!! I have looked for the answer over and over again but cannot find it. Basically I was testing out the controls from the script for positioning message_width, message_height and some other one i cant remember. I had noticed after i have entered the positions and in the message box of the event after the positions i put Input Choice to see how it would look like. Then when i closed and opened my game again, the start menu screen with the New Game, Continue , and Exit was stretched out. The right side width was stretched out. I attached a picture to show what i mean  :(  .  And yes i have other scripts but i deleted them, downloaded the ATS 3.0 Demo script again, and it still didn't fix it. Then i deleted and un-istalled rpg vx and installed it again 2 times and still wouldn't change back. Help! I don't know whats going on?!?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space2010 Favourite Staff Member
Err, that's just the way the title screen is by default. It has absolutely nothing to do with the ATS.

It's purely coincidental that you only noticed it after playing around with this script.

Yeah
All this time... I thought something was wrong...Man i gotta stop staying up too late. I could have sworn that the box was closer to the text. Thank you, cuz now i can sit back and let this sink in my head and realize. Anyway 10/10 script man its what i always looked for since i needed to congfigure message box width and height. Peace

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space2010 Favourite Staff Member
If you think it looks off, all you need to do to make the window in the Title screen smaller is go to line 154 in Scene_Title. You should see this:

Code: [Select]
    @command_window = Window_Command.new(172, [s1, s2, s3])

Change the 172 to something lower and the box will be less wide. 140 would probably look OK with the default terms.

Yeah
uh huh. Nice thanks again man.  :lol:

Yeah
Hahahah perfect. Thank you again. It looks nice now i set it to 135. :)

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
@modern algebra So.....I assume the answer is no to my question of "have you looked at the bug?" lol. Do you have any possible fixes for it? and the s[time] /s[0] issue?

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
Modern...i beg your forgiveness... ._. i still love your Scripts but i'm too noob (more likely i'm too idiot -.-) to use it at full strenght... i will like to give my players some option like this:

Would you like to kiss me?

1) yes but bla bla bla
2) Definetly yes...*smuack*
3) mmm let me think...
4) well maybe...
5) isnt to haste?
6) i do not...
7) No hell! i dont want!

i make this example just to be clear as i can. i cant figure out how to give more choice with just one box ._.''
i do use Append_choice at line 770 like this...

MAX_LINES = 4                 # See line 376.
  MESSAGE_SPEED = 0             # See line 378.
  SKIP_DISABLED = false         # See line 380.
  APPEND_TEXT = true            # See line 381.
  APPEND_CHOICE = true          # See line 383.
  SCROLLING = true              # See line 387.
    SCROLL_SPEED = 2            # See line 389.
    SCROLL_SHOW_ARROWS = true 

but cant figure out how to use it...[/s]

Edit: i figured out after wondering if my IQ is lowering by time...was quite simple...just set some choice then other choice without anything between them =_='''' sorry. The rest is indeed a bug i think...or maybe the bug is inside my brain...i need your confirm XD

And also another  THE problem is:

if i set 5 line message or more, then use "choice" and add under them \+{text} in the comment, when i run the game, the last choice didnt appear at all ._.
Expecially if i use the line 777   PARAGRAPH_FORMAT = true
So i must use it on false :(
Sorry to bother you all the time...answer in no hurry, i can wait Master XD
Thanks for your Time and hard work ^^
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:39:48 AM by fenicearcana »

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
How are we coming along on the "text cutting off" bug and the possible \s[time] bug....??

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for April 2010
Modern Algebra~ I was just wondering if there is a skip message function for ATS? I had been looking all over it but I can't seem to activate it. By skipping like fast forwarding a message? If you press shift it just automatically goes on auto read as long as you're holding it?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:15:28 PM by Nessiah »

Rep: +0/-0Level 64
RMRK Scholar
Thanks! Good script. It's been working great so far!
I'll be sure to test some more of it's functions out.
Here I am! Now what were your other two wishes?

Rep:
Level 89
Hi modern,
I think I found a bug. Don't think I'm doing something wrong, but the problem is when I have a choices like this:

When I choose the "4" option in game, then I got new choicebox window with "5" and "6" (I had both "5" and "6" in first choicebox, so It's weird), and the game crushes after this. Also, in "5" and "6" new choicebox, your help box (from the script) appear, empty. o.o;
Can you help? What's going on?

Edit: Checked the demo, where it works well, and I think I found dependence. It works, when it looks like this:

So it must be in subchoices. Weird for me, but could you please check this?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:08:44 PM by Fizzly »
Regards,
Mike

Rep:
Level 97
Those are the same pictures.

NM, looks like you edited while I was posting.

To everyone else: I have been swamped all Fall, but hopefully can get around to fixing all the bugs over the Christmas holiday.

Rep:
Level 89
Those are the same pictures.

NM, looks like you edited while I was posting.

To everyone else: I have been swamped all Fall, but hopefully can get around to fixing all the bugs over the Christmas holiday.
Yes, I pposted the same first, sorry. Would be so cool if you can fix this! :)
Regards,
Mike

Rep: +0/-0Level 63
RMRK Junior
Loving the script, however, I have a question, would it be possible to have a script that uses the party leader's picture as the picture for a text box?

To put it in context, I'm working on a horror-ish game, where the player can pick 1 of 4 characters (they only play as one character for a playthrough) and so far, the only work around I can think of, is to duplicate each map 4 times (1 for each character) I'm hoping it'd be possible to have a script to just call the PC portrait to the text box.

I hope my description made sense, if not, let me know and I'll attempt to re-clarify it.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Bug report:

Characters who move and talk at the same time should have the speach bubble follow them instead of statically staying in one place.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Hi modern,
I think I found a bug. Don't think I'm doing something wrong, but the problem is when I have a choices like this:

When I choose the "4" option in game, then I got new choicebox window with "5" and "6" (I had both "5" and "6" in first choicebox, so It's weird), and the game crushes after this. Also, in "5" and "6" new choicebox, your help box (from the script) appear, empty. o.o;
Can you help? What's going on?

Edit: Checked the demo, where it works well, and I think I found dependence. It works, when it looks like this:

So it must be in subchoices. Weird for me, but could you please check this?

I do not seem to have this issue when its not a sub menu....

Rep:
Level 97
Neither do I.

Anyway, hopefully I will get around to these bugs at Christmas break. Fizzly, could you please recreate your error in a new project and share it with me?

@Adrien. I know you've mentioned quite a few and thank you for reporting them. I am sorry it has taken so long to get around to fixing them. If it's not too much trouble, could you reply and quote all of the bugs you've found in a single post. I understand that would be a hassle and if you don't want to, then I will go through and hopefully collect them all. I just don't want to miss any and I would appreciate if you did that for me.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Bug 001: - Verified by MA

I may have found something but I cannot be sure as replication is extremely hard to do - its not a rare occurrence, and its not a script incompatibility. But when I try to replicate it its odd.

The window size is as follows: 308x78 (WxH) the text lines max is set to two both in the script config and in the script you use in the event box to set up a talking npc.

paragraph formatting is on.

Sometimes, if I have more then 2 lines of text, even if i dont, the words get cut off.

"Sally mary had a log, dog on a frog" will some times be "Sally mary had a log, dog on a fr"

I say sometimes because usually talking to the again fixes this issue and the text aligns fine. Is this my issue, or your issue? Again replicating this is really hard as it doesn't ALWAYS happen while sometimes it does

Bug 002:

Text bubbles, speach bubbles that sit above a NPC's head should FOLLOW said NPC no matter if that NPC is static or moving about. Some characters (NPC's) walk about as they talk - this speech bubble should follow that character.

Bug 003:

Based on the size of the text window - see Bug 001 - the choices such as a,b,c and d all spear in the same window as the text. How ever if you choose choice a and are presented with yet more choices those choices appear in a window at the bottom of the screen instead of the same text window the original choices were displayed in. - this has not been tested if said user choices Choice A and then  the NPC talks and then there are more choices. it has only been tested with said user choosing choice A and then there are immediately more choices.

Bug 004:

\s[6]Some Text\s[0] some more text. - the following you just saw should wait 6 frames before drawing each letter of the words "Some text" then reset to normal speed for writing the words  "some more text" How ever this is not the case. what happens is that the whole series of words - some text. some more text. take 6 frames to render each letter. Now maybe I am using this wrong but if not then this is a bug.

Note: Let it be known that Bug 001 is very tricky to replicate as it DOESN'T always happen. Bug 001 was NOT fixed by upgrading paragraph formatted from 1.1 to 2.0
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:39:49 AM by Adrien. »

Rep:
Level 97
With respect to 4, that's not a bug, just poor design. That code simply adds to and subtracts from the current speed. So, instead of:

\s[6]Some Text\s[0]

It should be:

\s[6]Some Text\s[-6]

Or:

\s[6]Some Text\s[=0]

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
can you fix it or make it more clear in the documentation so that its \s[6]bla\s[0]?

Rep:
Level 97
Well, no, I can't really fix it generally in the VX version. While I do agree it was a poor design choice, the price to change it would be a little steep since, for everyone who was using them correctly, it would force a choice between the current version with all its bugs, or getting the new version and having to go through every single one of their messages to check for where they used it and to change it to whatever new scheme I choose. The benefit of having one small feature slightly more intuitive is outweighed by that cost.

However, if you want to change it for your individual project, you can do the following (I did not test this, but it should work):

1. Go to around line 1144, where you will see:

text.gsub! (/\\</)                  { "\x08<1>" }    # Message speed + 1
    text.gsub! (/\\[Ss]\[(=?-?\d+)\]/i) { "\x08<#{$1}>" } # Message speed + x

Change it to:

text.gsub! (/\\</)                  { "\x08<+1>" }    # Message speed + 1
    text.gsub! (/\\[Ss]\[([\+-]?\d+)\]/i) { "\x08<#{$1}>" } # Message speed + x

2. Go to around line 3429, where you will see this:

when "\x08"                       # Speed Change
      @text.sub!(/<(=?-?\d+)>/, "")
      s = $1.to_s
      s.sub! (/(=)/, "")
      if $1.nil?
        $game_message.message_speed = [$game_message.message_speed + s.to_i, -1].max
      else
        $game_message.message_speed = [s.to_i, -1].max
      end

Change it to:

when "\x08"                       # Speed Change
      @text.sub!(/<([\+-]?\d+)>/, "")
      s = $1.to_s
      s.sub! (/([\+-])/, "")
      if $1.nil?
        $game_message.message_speed = [s.to_i, -1].max
      else
        $game_message.message_speed = [$game_message.message_speed + s.to_i, -1].max
      end

What that would do is make it so \s[a] directly sets it to a, while \s[-a] subtracts a from the number of frames it would wait, and \s[+a] adds a to the number of frames. The disadvantage is you will no longer be able to directly set it to -1 (instant), so if you wanted that, you would have to do \s[0]\>

Keep in mind that once I release the bug fixed version, you will need to change this again.

In terms of the current documentation, it is:

# \S[x]  - Change the speed the text draws by adding x to the current time
#         between drawing letters. Thus, \s[2] is the equivalent of \<\< and
#         \s[-3] is the equivalent of \>\>\>. You can also directly set the
#         speed by putting an equal sign, so \s[=0] would set the time to one
#         frame between drawing letters, and \s[=-1] would set it to instant.

How would you suggest I make it clearer?

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Sorry I didn't see the documentation >_>. What you could do is make it backwards compatible so make the new way s[6]bla\s[0] the standard way but still support those using this way...Kind of like jquery how they add and take away features but also make things backwards compatible. Just a thought.

Rep: +0/-0Level 67
RMRK Junior
OK, I've been using this script mostly just for the end credits of my game (scrolling text, easy centre text commands along with text effects, etc.), but getting back to the REST of the game, I find that I no longer want scrolling text. So I turned the feature off... made sure that the appending feature was off so that similar text boxes wouldn't be lumped into one, etc. What happens? All 8 faces of a faceset appear in the text box instead of 1. Like, I can get a face under the "Monster" heading to appear normally (just one face, not all 8 Monster faces), but when I use an imported faceset (e.g. $nathanface, attempt to use image 0 from the faceset), all 8 show up (0,1,2,3, then 4,5,6,7 underneath the first four). I KNOW that this script is the cause of the problem since it was working fine before I turned off the scrolling and append functions. Do I HAVE to have scrolling text and append on in order for facesets to display properly? Cause that kinda bugs me... I like having chopped up text sometimes. :/

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help resolve the problem...  :)