RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Advanced Text System 3.0c

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Yes, you can use it for non-commercial games; just mention me in the credits of a game that uses it and don't publish it elsewhere without my permission.

For commercial games, it depends on the scope of the project - typically I just ask for a free copy of the game, but, again, I would need to see the game first.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:02:47 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Feature request:[\b]

-> In battle when you start the battle you usually see "bla emerged" and then after battle - > you won" or some victory message which is then usually preceded by an xp amount, gold and other rewards. Allow us to change that color using \c[number].

Also checking status of fix to random cut off in smaller formed text boxes bug [\i]

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I could probably add that for the next version. In the meantime, you could use a script like my Global Text Codes if you like - since those messages aren't processed character by character, it should work fine. You can find it in the Database.

I haven't gotten around to the fix yet, but I will, eventually.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
I just wanted to update this as I read my bug report the paragraph formatting is true in your ATS script as well as in the "event" script

Rep:
Level 97
Thanks, that will help.

Rep: +0/-0Level 69
RMRK Junior
I noticed an annoyance with the Yerd Menu System Options.  It doesn't seem to take the windows that you set from the System option screen.  Is there a compat patch for it, or a snippet that could fix it?  Its just an annoyance, i can deal with blue screened messages, and a black window background.  It would just look... dirty.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
I have a new possible bug report:

With out the ATS - Enemy victory is displayed as such:
Order may not be perfect but you get the idea

Win
XP
Gold
Item
Other
- Other being other scripts that affect this out put

As noted with the previous dimensions on my other bug report of 308x78 (WxH) I get the following out put:

Win XP Gold Items Other (with appropriate line wrapping - agin see previous bug report on line wrapping issues)

\n (in most programming languages works) does nothing. (unless I am being dumb and it needs to go out the out side of the "" in the vocab section)

Ideas? Your issue? My Issue?

Rep:
Level 97
Probably an incompatibility with that Victory Aftermath script you're using (whatever script is generating the "other" you mentioned) as I don't remember any problem like that in my battle tests. You could use \LB as that is the code I use for linebreaks (\n is used to display actor name by default so I figured it was better to preserve that), but I wouldn't want to force you to do that there.

Share the Victory Aftermath script (or whatever script you're using to generate that "Other") though so I can make them compatible.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:56:23 AM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Its no victory after math its a vx ff 12 license board and all it does is add "you gained 10 lp"  to the already existing  "You gained Bla XP, Items, Gold." I am not using VA. This is standard out put, nothing modified except for me adding that one extra line to the already existing default out put for winning a battle.

I will try \lb. (typically in programming I thought you do "" + \n + "" ? (at least we do in java))

Rep:
Level 97
Yes, you would as \n is the line break character in ascii, but (a) it would still need to be replaced since it would actually be \\n by the way the message string is interpreted; (b) by default (no message system), it wouldn't work for messaging since it draws character by character and the draw_text method wouldn't recognize a \n character or do anything with it anyway (besides draw a square), so I would still need to add a condition for it; and (c) the default message system already uses \n[y] for the actor's name, and while it would be possible to use \n without [] to signify a line break, I didn't want to double up functions like that. So, (a) and (b) mean it is the same amount of work to use \n instead of \lb, and (c) means it would be confusing. So I think \lb is the better choice. Besides, most people wouldn't know what \n is generally in scripting and \lb for "line break" is, I think, more straightforward.

You still need to share that script though, even if that is all it does and I probably also need the configuration part of your ATS.. Or else just recreate the error in a new project and send it to me since, when I tested, I was unable to recreate your error. It might be a certain combination of features on that is causing the problem or it might be incompatibility with another script and your FF12 script is a likely culprit.

Ideal would be to recreate the error in a new project and send it to me, but I definitely need the FF12 script if you want me to fix this bug.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:41:40 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
\\lb works. Also I don't know what I did but in a recent testing of script compatabiity and moving things around - that "cut off bug" is reduced by 25%.

Rep: +0/-0Level 71
RMRK Junior
I cannot seem to get this script to work. There must be a script that's messing it up, but I cannot figure out which one it is. I keep getting this error:

Script 'ATS 3.0' line 2616: ArgumentError occurred
wrong number of arguments (1 for 0)

Any help?

Rep:
Level 97
What does the line say? The only way my line 2616 would cause a problem like that is if you had another script that also named one of its classes Window_FaceBox and is below the ATS. That seems unlikely; the only thing I could think of is either (a) you used to have ATS 2 and you didn't delete it when you added ATS3, or (b) my line 2616 is different from yours.

Actually, the fastest way to fix this would be for you to recreate the error in a new project and send it to me - then I could very easily fix it up for you.

Rep:
Level 67
Eternal Newbie
Which line in this script do I modify to change the default font or font style for the entire game? I think the window size estimation might work better if my font was different (right now I think it's bold arial, which seems to get cut off sometimes).

Rep:
Level 97
This script would only let you change it for the various windows in the Message system. To change it for everything (menus, etc...) you would want to just create a new slot (somewhere above the ATS) and have the following lines:

Code: [Select]
Font.default_name = ["Verdana", "Arial", "Courier New"]
Font.default_size = 20

You would want to add the name of the font you want to the front of the array. It will take the first font that exists on the person's computer.

Ie. the above would use Verdana but if the person doesn't have Verdana installed, it would use Arial, and if the person doesn't have Arial installed, it would use Courier New. Though, that is kind of moot as all you need to do to make sure the player has the font is create a folder inside the game folder named Fonts and put all the fonts you use in it when you share the game.

RMRK Junior
What does the line say? The only way my line 2616 would cause a problem like that is if you had another script that also named one of its classes Window_FaceBox and is below the ATS. That seems unlikely; the only thing I could think of is either (a) you used to have ATS 2 and you didn't delete it when you added ATS3, or (b) my line 2616 is different from yours.

Actually, the fastest way to fix this would be for you to recreate the error in a new project and send it to me - then I could very easily fix it up for you.
Well, I'll see if I can get that demo created, but here's the line in question.
   @face_window = Window_FaceBox.new (self.viewport)
Seems to be the same line. 
I checked all my other scripts, and none of them mess with the faces or are ATS 2.0.

Rep:
Level 97
Well, I'll need to see a demo with the error recreated.

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
Hi Modern...your work seems excellent, but i cant use it and i cant understand why.
I pasted it in my Rpgmaker VX script editor but when i start a demo game to try it, the game say "line 3 error". but in line 3 there are only  ====== and if i delete them, it say again error on some other line after commena "end, end"
Seems strage. maybe i'm wrong and this script doesnt work for VX ?
Thanks for your time.

Rep:
Level 97
No, it's for VX. Maybe it's a copying error though. Try downloading the demo and if that works, then copy it directly from there.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Am I doing this right?

Some Text \s[2]...\s[0] some more text...

If so, it never resets to normal text speed.

Also whats the status on the update to this script for fixing the cut off issue? :D

Rep: +0/-0Level 66
RMRK Junior
I keep getting a no method error occurred on line 1033, Undefined method 'animate_faces' for nil:NilClass.

Any idea how to fix that?

RMRK Junior
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/265101/ATS_3_Error_Demo.exe Here's the link to download the Demo that shows the error I was running into. I found which script was causing the issue and put that and the ATS 3 in the demo. Nothing else besides Missing File preventor. Will this do? (Don't worry, the site is safe to download from.)

Rep:
Level 97
Alright, it looks like Yanfly had written a compatibility patch between the ATS and the Menu system but it was for an old version of the script.

To fix it, go in the YERD script to line 603 and you should see the following:

#===============================================================================
# Modern Algebra ATS Compatibility
#===============================================================================

class Window_FaceBox < Window_Base
unless method_defined?(:initialize)

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # alias initialize
  alias initialize_fb_mso initialize unless $@
  def initialize
    initialize_fb_mso
    self.update_windowskin
  end

end
end

class Window_NameBox < Window_Base

# alias initialize
  alias initialize_nb_mso initialize unless $@
  def initialize(string = '')
    initialize_nb_mso(string)
    self.update_windowskin
  end

end
end

class Window_ChoiceBox < Window_Command

# alias initialize
  alias initialize_cb_mso initialize unless $@
  def initialize
    initialize_cb_mso
    self.update_windowskin
  end

end
end

class Window_Message < Window_Selectable

# alias initialize
  alias initialize_wm_mso initialize unless $@
  def initialize
    initialize_wm_mso
    self.update_windowskin
  end

end
end

Replace it with:

# Modern Algebra ATS Compatibility

class Window_FaceBox < Window_Base

# alias initialize
  alias initialize_fb_mso initialize unless $@
  def initialize (*args)
    initialize_fb_mso (*args)
    self.update_windowskin
  end

end
end

class Window_NameBox < Window_Base

# alias initialize
  alias initialize_nb_mso initialize unless $@
  def initialize (*args)
    initialize_nb_mso (*args)
    self.update_windowskin
  end

end
end

class Window_ChoiceBox < Window_Command

# alias initialize
  alias initialize_cb_mso initialize unless $@
  def initialize (*args)
    initialize_cb_mso (*args)
    self.update_windowskin
  end

end
end

class Window_Message < Window_Selectable

# alias initialize
  alias initialize_wm_mso initialize unless $@
  def initialize (*args)
    initialize_wm_mso (*args)
    self.update_windowskin
  end

end
end

RMRK Junior
Well, now there's a new issue.
I edited the Menu System script, and now that's fine. But now when I start, the error
Script ATS 3 line 3145 NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method '[]' for nil:NilClass

The Script causing the error is Jet's Mouse System script. I'll post another demo.
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/265239/ATS_3_Error_Demo.exe
Here ya go.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:31:49 PM by phantomaang »

Rep: +0/-0Level 65
RMRK Junior
Hello MA.
I use your script -wich is great- but whenever I use the /oc[X] or /e[X] command, to get the message positionned above the X event, it appear first on the "default" position (for a very short time -but enough time to notice it-) THEN it goes to the right position, above the event.
In short, the message 'flashes' at the bottom of the screen, then goes up to the event.

I tried to change the :character line in the script itself, but the problem remains, only the "default" position changed.
I don't know if I do things correctly or not, this is the first script I've ever tried. =)
So, basically, is there a way to get the program run the commands \e[], \oc[] etc. before the message appears ?

ps: English is not my native language, sorry if my post is not clear enough.