RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Advanced Text System 3.0c

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
That error has never happened to me, so I will need to see your project. Reproduce the error in a new project and upload it for me and I will take a look.

Rep: +0/-0Level 68
RMRK Junior
http://www.joseanjim.es/RPG_MAKER/WVR.rar
Here you have it... You can see in it another error with choose options and the spaniard letter ñ.
Paragraph option according to my observation sometimes works, sometimes not.

I think script needs a command to end color change, like bold (/c, I supose, but I think to use a light version of BBcode commands should be better in general coz a lot of people knows to use it).

I like the script, thank you, is very useful. But all options I tried I found some bug...

Another thing... ¿Is better separate commands with spaces? Then that command spaces must don't appear in final result in game screen...

EDIT: Now I'm doing some event with choice branches (I NEED more than 4 choose options). In the begining all seems ok but when I choose some options I get bad windows and a script error message: Script 'ATS 3.0' line 2553 : NoMethodError ocurred. undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass.
I think the events are OK.
http://www.joseanjim.es/RPG_MAKER/WVR2.rar
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:13:33 PM by joseanjim »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Well, I'll take a look at both. The foreign letters is a problem with the text_size method of Bitmap and I have been working on a fix for all that stuff, but the other problems you claim I've never heard before, so it may take some time since I have had trouble finding the time to work on this stuff.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
I think I found an issue:

I am using a message width of 308 with a message height of 78

If the following was made to be over a characters head using the appropriate scripts and speech bubbles - like in your demo - the text will scroll as it is suppose to. I have also set the maximum lines to three. There is some cut off - but its not like "OMG your missing the word not or to" Its more like "Your missing part of the letter t on not."

The main issue is when I make a regular show text with no speech bubble or anything - as you see from the image - and fill it with scrolling text. You see what happens it doesn't scroll, doesn't wrap. It just breaks. and then its like "you can hit enter now" only to see that there is no more text.

I tried using \lb to break up the text but I can only do that for 2 lines, if I have anything past two lines the text won't show no matter if there is a bible of text or one more sentence.

Ideas?
Suggestions?
Fixes?

Rep:
Level 97
And you set the max lines to 2 there?

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
No - sorry the line max is actually three but the text size is 24 so it can only fit two lines because of the height which is 78

Rep:
Level 97
Change the max lines to 2 then.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
That has done nothing.

Text above a character with a speech tag give three - like it should - text in the middle of the window (see the image above in my post) still looks the same.

Max Lines = 2

in other words its like i've done nothing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:50:43 PM by Adrien. »

Rep:
Level 97
Alright, well reproduce the error in a new project and upload it for me. I will take a look as soon as I find the time.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Really hope you can solve this issue today. I reproduced the error perfectly - thinking it was a scripting issue on my end. The max line of text are three in this case.

This demo does not include rtp for size - obv you have rpg maker vx installed.

The text is an event set to auto run. So your not actually scrolling - what you see on the screen the first time around is the issue.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:12:59 PM by Adrien. »

Rep:
Level 97
Well, you had paragraph format off. You have to turn that feature on if you want it to operate. In the demo you provided, turning paragraph format on and setting max lines to 2 fixed the problem.

Also, why are you insisting on leaving max_lines at 3? The purpose of that property is to tell the script how many lines can be displayed on the window at any given time. Your window only fits 2 so that is what max_lines should be.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
I am wondering if this is a rmvx thing or a if your script offers this, as  have seen it in peoples games...

Text will display slowly, so let me explain you have the words "the cat" show up normally at regular speed, then "....jumped...." each syllable or group of letters should wait X amount of time before displaying.

Hope that makes sense

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, you can do that in this script with the \s[=y] command (where y is the number of frames to wait). You can also use \> and \< to decrease and increase the number of frames to wait by increments of 1. \s[y] will add or subtract y from the current number of frames.

\w[y] will set a number of frames to wait before drawing the next letter but the wait is only once. The script also inherits the \. and \| codes from the default message system, which wait 15 frames (1/4 second) and 60 frames (1 second), respectively.

Rep: +0/-0Level 67
RMRK Squeenix Follower
Hello all,
  Sorry if I seem as stupid as a rock here, but I am not that good with scripting. hehe. How do I actually call/assign these scripts in my game. I mean, how do I get the text bubbles to work for example.
  Any help would be appreciated.

Shinanji

Rep:
Level 75
What the...?
If I'm not mistaken, you have to have the speech tag or thought tag graphics in your folder.  Then, read lines 354 to 374.  This lines explain just how to set it up.  It takes some getting used to, but I still believe there has never been a better script ever invented than this one.  I find new things on it all the time that I can do and have not used.  It's quite amazing.   Anyway, hope that helped!

Rep: +0/-0Level 67
RMRK Squeenix Follower
If I'm not mistaken, you have to have the speech tag or thought tag graphics in your folder.  Then, read lines 354 to 374.  This lines explain just how to set it up.  It takes some getting used to, but I still believe there has never been a better script ever invented than this one.  I find new things on it all the time that I can do and have not used.  It's quite amazing.   Anyway, hope that helped!

Thanks a lot. :) I will check that out.

Shinanji

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Hey Modern. If you make a message window with one line of text, and then make a choice window with four options, if the cursor is on the first choice option then if you press Q or whatever Input::L is, the cursor will highlight the message.

Sorry if I've missed something in my configuration. My choice settings are:

Code: [Select]
CHOICE_TEXT = "    %s"        # See line 564.
  DISABLED_CHOICE_TEXT = "\\FA[128]%s\\FA[255]" # See line 569.
  CHOICEBOX_TEXT = "%s"         # See line 576.
  CHOICE_WINDOW = false         # See line 578.
  CHOICE_X = -1                 # See line 580.
  CHOICE_Y = -1                 # See line 584.
  CHOICE_OFFSET_X = -16         # See line 587.
  CHOICE_OFFSET_Y = 16          # See line 589.
  CHOICE_WIDTH = 192            # See line 591.
  CHOICE_HEIGHT = -1            # See line 594.
  COLUMN_MAX = 1                # See line 596.
  ROW_MAX = 4                   # See line 597.
  CHOICE_SPACING = 20           # See line 598.
  CHOICE_OPACITY = 255          # See line 600.
  CHOICE_BACKOPACITY = 200      # See line 601.
  CHOICE_WINDOWSKIN = "Window"  # See line 603.
  CHOICE_FONTCOLOUR = 0         # See line 605.
  CHOICE_FONTNAME = ["Verdana", "Arial", "Courier New"] # See line 607.
  CHOICE_FONTSIZE = 20          # See line 610.
  CHOICE_WLH = -1               # See line 611.
  CHOICE_DIM = "MessageBack"    # See line 612.
  CHOICE_USE_DIM = 2            # See line 614.
  CHOICE_ON_LINE = false        # See line 617.
  CHOICE_OPPOSITE_FACE = true   # See line 620.

Just letting you know about this minor bug.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
I may have found something but I cannot be sure as replication is extremely hard to do - its not a rare occurrence, and its not a script incompatibility. But when I try to replicate it its odd.

The window size is as follows: 308x78 (WxH) the text lines max is set to two both in the script config and in the script you use in the event box to set up a talking npc.

paragraph formatting is on.

Sometimes, if I have more then 2 lines of text, even if i dont, the words get cut off.

"Sally mary had a log, dog on a frog" will some times be "Sally mary had a log, dog on a fr"

I say sometimes because usually talking to the again fixes this issue and the text aligns fine. Is this my issue, or your issue? Again replicating this is really hard as it doesn't ALWAYS happen while sometimes it does

Rep:
Level 97
My issue probably. I will look into it.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Ok awesome thank you

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Um sorry for the bump but how goes the fixing of my "error" that i found?

Rep:
Level 97
Sorry, "look into it" was not as present tense as it sounded. I will try to get to it, along with all the other reports, sometime this week.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
thats ok take your time the game wont be released till November any how, I was just curious :D

Rep:
Level 75
What the...?
Hey Modern,

Is it possible to display faces as options in choicebox? 

I got to reading through the script and saw where it had the actor_method.  Thought maybe that would be the best way, but I'm not sure I understand it exactly.  I would like to have just a bunch of faces for the player to select from.  You placed suitable methods as str, def, etc.  But these all return one value.  I'd like to return both the name of file and the index of the face on the sheet.  Is that possible?

Rep: +0/-0Level 72
Ehem?
Hello Modern!  :D I'm sorry for asking this ugly question...  :-\
I'm just seeing you write credit for this script...
And I don't understand the term of use of this script...
Can I use this script for non commercial?
And what about commercial game? <<<But I won't use this
script for commercial though....  :lol:
Sorry for my bad English...  :'(
I'm not really good with English though~   :-\
But if you don't mind, please answer my question...  ^-^