RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Advanced Text System 3.0c

Rep:
Level 84
So, when I use the fit to text and place it above a character with the speech bubble pictures...it flashes down at the bottom of the screen, as if it starts writing it down at the bottom, but then realizes that it needs to be above a character? How do I get it so that it will start drawing above a character, instead of jump to that character?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Are you using the :character and :char_ref properties or the \e[], \oc[] codes?

Try using the :character and :char_ref properties - I think they will do it immediately. Really, I should have made it so the codes would be interpreted before the window shows up, but for now, just use the properties.

Rep:
Level 84
Yeah, I've been using \E[x].

Rep:
Level 74
A Fairy Very Wise
PRETTY NEAT!

ill be deffinetly Using it.

5/5
Take this Advice: "Meow" :3

Rep: +0/-0Level 81
I'm eventing for myself Final Fantasy XIII Datalog: I'm getting with ATS 3 pretty well, but I don't know what should I do, if I wanted to display a full screen description. For example: I'm selecting chapter one, and from this subchoice menu second choice, then a full page description shows up (preferably with pic).

Rep:
Level 82
I have to say that this script has come in leaps and bounds since its inception and now it's the most comprehensive text system out there. I was using UTS for my projects before but ATS satisfies all the needs for my project, AMG, though still learning all its features! That's half the fun though (teaches me how to script too!) ;D
Current Projects:
* Ars Mechanicum 1: Genesis (RMVX)
* The Gladiator Project (RMXP)

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I'm glad that you like it. I originally had made it for a friend, and its only feature was animated faces :)

I hope that the learning curve is not too steep and you get used to it quickly.

Rep:
Level 82
Awesome! Well it's certainly very useful. So far so good. Still learning RGSS properly, but it's nice to be able to really study the code to see how things are done. If the "learning curve" proves too steep, I guess I know where to come!  ;D
Current Projects:
* Ars Mechanicum 1: Genesis (RMVX)
* The Gladiator Project (RMXP)

Rep:
Level 84
Hey Modern. Got a question for you.

I've messed around with the different configuration settings, and still seem to not to be getting the results I want. So, I'll come here and ask.

Is it possible to have the Message box one window skin and the Menu an entirely different one? I notice that you can change ones for the message, face, choice, and word, but what about menu? I've got it customized to be a speech bubble, but don't want it to be a speech bubble in the menu.

Rep:
Level 97
The menu is controlled entirely separately. Just save the one you want for the menu as "Window" and save the one you want for the message to something else. In the configuration, set the windowskin to that something else.

EXECUTED WEEBLING?
Rep:
Level 81
Im still here.. hahahahahaha
Does Anyone know where I can get one just like this for XP?
Hey if you need anything just ask.

I'm a liar.
Rep:
Level 73
I am the Epic awesome; I am the Awesom epic
First of all, I'm working with RPG Maker VX for the first time. Second, how exactly do I use a large image (X > 96x96) for the character icon or whatever? And also, I don't understand how to use the message codes (an example of it should be enough for me to understand)?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 05:39:32 AM by yarow12 »
Is it illegal to kill a man because it's a sin, or because war weren't declared?

And is this how you would treat an "idiot", dear sir, or is it just how you troll?

Rep:
Level 97
To use large faces, simply select faces that are larger than usual in the message window. IE. if you have a set of eight faces that are 128x128 rather than 96x96, just use that set of faces and select the appropriate index. Alternatively, you can save faces as single face graphics by saving it with a $ at the start of the name. Then select the 0 index and it will display the whole image.

For using message codes, just insert them directly into the text. So, if you wanted to show the name of actor 1, just put it in like so:

@>Text: My name is \n[1]!

There's no trick to it. Download the demo - there are examples of nearly every feature there, including large faces and lots of message code use.

I'm a liar.
Rep:
Level 73
@modern algebra
Thank you for the explanation on using message codes.

"select the appropriate index"
I'm sorry, what?

"Alternatively, you can save faces as single face graphics by saving it with a $ at the start of the name. Then select the 0 index and it will display the whole image."
So... putting "$" at the beginning of a face set does what to it exactly? I thought it was just something that I had to do to the Character images. 0 index?
Is it illegal to kill a man because it's a sin, or because war weren't declared?

And is this how you would treat an "idiot", dear sir, or is it just how you troll?

Rep:
Level 97
Normal facesets are set up as 4x2. So, 4 actors in the top row, 4 actors in the bottom row, and each face is 96x96. So, when you are normally selecting a face, you are selecting one of those eight faces. That is what I was referring to by select the index.

For large faces, you can do it in one of two ways, either you can make a 4x2 set of faces that are larger than normal (ie. 4 faces in top row and 4 in bottom, but instead of being 96x96 they are 160x128, or whatever). Then you select the face you want, but if I recall correctly, the selecting square will not be aligned properly, so that's why I said index instead of face.

The other way to do it is to just save single large faces with the $. What that $ means is that the script will read the image as just one face, rather than 8 faces like normal.

If you are still confused, a large face is used in the demo. You can just look into that event and see how it was done.

I'm a liar.
Rep:
Level 73
@modern agenda
Oh, thank you very much. Now, here's another problem. Only a few images actually worked when I placed "$" in front of the filename. The others had the same problem. Check the attachment.

"Place this script in its own slot in the Script Editor (F11) above Main #   and below Materials."

By this, do you mean I should have it with my other scripts (going down the list under Main and above Materials) or it should be on its own like Main and Materials are?
i.e.
*empty slot*
?Advance Text System 3.0
*empty slot*

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, it should be in its own slot between Main and Materials. So:

Materials
*empty slot(s)
ATS 3.0
*empty slot(s)
Main

And yeah, it's fine that the little selector box is tiny. I can't change the program; just leave it where it is. However, once in game and used in a message, it will show the whole face.

Rep:
Level 75
May I ask the implementation of a new feature here or should I open a new thread?

Rep:
Level 97
Nah, ask it here

Rep:
Level 75
I noticed that when :scroll_show_arrows is true, the floating arrow (forgot its name) overlaps the scrolling arrow in the bottom. I wouldn't have noticed there was a down arrow had it not been a different colour.

So, could you implement a feature that allows to move the floating arrow to the side?

Rep:
Level 97
Sure, just grab the Window Pause Sprite Hijacked script and place it above the ATS. Then place the following little code below it:

Code: [Select]
class Window_Message
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  # * Reset Pause Position
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  def reset_pause_position
    super
    @pause_sprite.x += 16 if $game_message.scrolling && $game_message.scroll_show_arrows
  end
end

That'll move the pause sprite a little to the right.

I'm a liar.
Rep:
Level 73
Would you mind posting an example for making someone's dialogue green with the script? I didn't do it right.

Rep:
Level 97
Assuming that you are using the default windowskin, the following message would be do it:

@>Text: \c[3]Hi this text is green. \c[11]This is a different shade of green. \c[0]This is white.

You can also use hex with this system, allowing you to use any shade of color pretty much.

So, something like this:

@>Text: \c[#00FF00]This is green. \c[#00a000]This is a less obnoxious green.

I'm a liar.
Rep:
Level 73
Thank you.
What in the script do I mess with in order to make it possible to press enter and continue downward to view the rest of a message? When I press enter, it just skips to the next message.

Rep:
Level 97
You're going to have to be more specific as I don't know what you mean by "skip to the next message." The script will always show a full message. You can turn the scrolling option on so that it will scroll, if that is what you are asking for. You can also turn on the autopause feature if you want it to pause everytime it reads a page.

If on the other hand, you mean you want a message to pause for a second before completing itself, you just use the \! command.

Seriously though, almost everything is in the demo. Just look at the events and you can figure it out.