RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Advanced Text System 3.0c

Rep:
Level 82
 :blizj: You Cool  :blizj:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
He's annoying and I've been fixing his VX Forum spam all day, but not particularly bannable =o

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
I wonder if there is any command syntax to have a image posted under the textbox as described in a older but not responded message in http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,35421.0.html

As of now I use: Show picture, then text, then erase picture, and I really think Advanced Text System 2.0 will do a much better job if I somehow get it to put the image "under" the textbox ^.^;;;

It's a great script regardless

BUG :tpg:

The command: $game_message.choicebox_windowskin =
"name of file goes here" works 100 % perfect, but *all* versions of the command:

$game_ats.message_windowskin = "name of file goes here"
$game_message.message_windowskin = "name of file goes here"
$game_message.windowskin = "name of file goes here"
fails and fails :-\

Even when I do not get any crash-bug due to me trying all kinds of fixes, why does not the main window change skin when I get the $game_message.choicebox_windowskin =
"name of file goes here" to works great???

Strange...

The very best regards

O.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
ah, yes, that was a problem with my coding. It was never instituted properly. The reason it works for name and choiceboxes is because they are created new everytime they are called. I'll fix that in 3.0 when I get around to it.

Rep:
Level 83
A 3.0 ? great !
Can we submit some ideas ? ... for exemple , i would like two face window instead of one and you can choose which one is animated . It's possible to make that with ATS 2.0 but not easy .
You can use my scripts freely . but not for commercial use .
:ccbync:
Don't encrypt your game !!!
Want to give me credit ? Easy ,add me in your game :

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Yeah, please do make requests. I won't make any promises and it may still be a long way off, but I'd love some more ideas flowing.

Eureka! He lives!!! really? :o

Two big requests incoming:

Visual Novel GFX support
In image code.jpg you can see what I have to do in order to archive the Visual Novel effect i.e. a sprite "under" the textbox. My dream is to have Advanced Text System 3.0 support this feature natively by somehow fiddling with the z-element. In a sense ATS 2.0 support this already, but the sprite will
a. mess up the text-formatting in the box
b. z-element is making the sprite always appear OVER the textbox
On image1.jpg you have a perfect example on how a Visual Novel "implementation" shall look like in a basic setting (notice how the sprite is "under" the textbox).

Visual Novel support to hide/show the text-box

In a visual novel it's important to let the user hide/show the text-box. Why? Well, thats because he/she (mostly he) wants to see the entire image behind the text-box  in it's full glory. Look on code.jpg how I solve it, aye, I use one "clean" background image and a sprite or more for the interactiveness. Every character have several expressions, and it's easy to call em in and out and give them different placement. For the "delicate" scenes I (truth be known) use single high quality images (hehe).

Anyways, look on Image2.jpg, and then visualize how you press F8 and the text-window hides, aye, see Image3.jpg on how it looks when its hidden, then press F8 again, or the VX button for continue or cancel and the "text-box" is shown again.

This feature must somehow be implemented into Advanced Text System 3.0

For the full script Jet10985 and Piejamas built around my idea go too: http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=22870

The script provided here HACKED by me and NOT working as the original production by Jet10985 and Piejamas. However, this "hack" is best to follow as reference for WHAT it does (not how the code looks, because by the god's it's a mess, but it DOES the job).

So, start up a game with the provided scripts and see for yourself (for REFERENCE only) - this is Visual Novel implementation in VX when it shines...

Main code:
Spoiler for:
Code: [Select]
#===============================================================================
# Hide Text Box Snippet
# By Jet10985
# Original Code by Piejamas
#
# This version is hacked from the original to work for my project without
# triggers, and to make the matter even more complicated I am no scripter
# so I had to brew up two "addons" to have everything work without glitching
# VX (as the script in this form alone nor orginal with trigger work as intened
# without my addons... strange ehh!)
#
# PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SCRIPT OR ADDONS WITHOUT GOING TO THE PROVIDED URL
# http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=22870
# Aye, I might be the "idea" behind this project, but I am NOT the maker of
# the code so Jet10985 and Piejamas are to be praised here.
#
#===============================================================================
# The key F8 will "hide/unide" the text window

# DON'T EDIT FURTHER UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO.

class Window_Message
  alias jet_base_update update

def update
    jet_base_update
    unless $scene.is_a?(Scene_Battle)
    if Input.trigger?(Input::F8)
     if self.visible
      self.visible = false
     else
      self.visible = true
     end
     Sound.play_cursor
    end
  end
end

def input_pause
    if Input.trigger?(Input::B) or Input.trigger?(Input::C)
      if self.visible
      self.pause = false
      if @text != nil and not @text.empty?
        new_page if @line_count >= MAX_LINE
      else
        terminate_message
      end
      end
    end
  end
  end

Addon 1
Spoiler for:

# Hide Text Box Snippet
# By Jet10985
# Addon hack by Okogawa, paste it under the main script...

class Window_Message
  alias okogawa_addon_1_base_update update

def update
    okogawa_addon_1_base_update
    if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
     if self.visible
      self.visible = true
     else
      self.visible = true
    end
#      Sound.play_cursor
   end
  end
end

def input_pause
      if self.visible
      self.pause = false
      else
        terminate_message
      end
      end
    end
  end

end

Addon 2
Spoiler for:

# Hide Text Box Snippet
# By Jet10985
# Addon hack by Okogawa, paste it under the main script...

class Window_Message
  alias okogawa_addon_2_base_update update

def update
    okogawa_addon_2_base_update
    if Input.trigger?(Input::B)
     if self.visible
      self.visible = true
     else
      self.visible = true
    end
#      Sound.play_cursor
   end
  end
end

def input_pause
      if self.visible
      self.pause = false
      else
        terminate_message
      end
      end
    end
  end

end

The very best regards

O.

Hello again, I have encountered a conflict with Advanced Text System 2.0 and the Visual Novel script in my game.

I post a clean project file here so you can download it: http://www.mediafire.com/?qtmjgy5m22m

The issue I am having is when the Visual Novel script with F8 hides a textbox, then due to Advanced Text System 2.0's own message-settings the "face-image" is NOT hidden. When the Advanced Text System is removed, the Visual Novel script works perfect.

I now seek either a "fix" to the Visual Novel script (just make an addon like the one provided in my demo, as I think it will be easier) or "hack" (hard word) the Advanced Text System 2.0 to work with the Visual Novel script :-\

If anyone can fix this mess, feel free to email me directly at okogawa@hotmail.com or post the fix inside here maybes?

While looking on the Visual Novel bug, please also look/optimize my terrible code for my image-to-movie event I made (I will port lots of movies for the actual game project), as i'ts to many repeats on the tiggers (else the event work 100%).

Hope for any kind assistance, as I am totally stuck now :(

O.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 04:39:13 PM by Okogawa »

Rep:
Level 97
Hmm, well I don't have time right now to look at it all, but it sounds like a code like this might fix your problem:

class Window_Message
  def visible= (value)
    super (value)
    @face_window.visible = value unless @face_window == nil || @face_window.disposed?
    @name_window.visible = value unless @name_window == nil || @name_window.disposed?
    @choice_window.visible = value unless @choice_window == nil || @choice_window.disposed?
  end
end

Place that in its own slot in the editor below the ATS, but still above Main.

If that doesn't work, I'll take a look at the demo when I have time.

Alas, It did not work... But please do not misunderstand my sadness about it, I am very grateful for your time in making a take on code.

Indeed, if and when you have time, a look on my demo might solve everything since it's all presented there with scripts and explanations. And it's probably no understatement when I say; - if anyone are to solve this issue, I am sure you are the one  :)

Cheers

O.

Rep:
Level 97
Ah yeah, I know what the problem is - I save the faces as distinct sprites in order to quickly exchange them without redrawing when using animated faces. I'll fix it quickly.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:11:35 PM by modern algebra »

Thanks thanks thanks!!!!!!!! :tpg:

EDIT: it's okay to mail it directly to me on okogawa@hotmail.com or in here or on this forum post (which also discuss this bug): http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=23501  :P

EDIT 2: It's all like Greek to me... but I guess it's a good thing you found the error, because it's more or less impossible to make any game without Advanced Text System 2.0.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:19:08 PM by Okogawa »

Rep:
Level 97
Alright, here, try this code to replace the one I gave you earlier:

class Window_Message
  def visible= (value)
    super (value)
    unless @face_window == nil || @face_window.disposed?
      @face_window.visible = value
      @face_window.sprites_visible = value
    end
    @name_window.visible = value unless @name_window == nil || @name_window.disposed?
    @choice_window.visible = value unless @choice_window == nil || @choice_window.disposed?
  end
end

class Window_FaceBox
  def sprites_visible= (boolean)
    @faces_hidden = boolean
    @face_sprites[@active_face].visible = boolean unless @face_sprites.nil? ||
                                              @face_sprites[@active_face].nil?
  end
  alias malg_okog_anmtfce_8iu2 animate_face
  def animate_face (*args)
    return if @faces_hidden == false
    malg_okog_anmtfce_8iu2 (*args)
  end
  alias malgbr_okogw_visnov_puse_7jb3 pause
  def pause (*args)
    malgbr_okogw_visnov_puse_7jb3 (*args)
    @face_sprites[0].visible = @faces_hidden unless @faces_hidden.nil? || @face_sprites[0].nil?
  end
end

BTW, I actually sort of suspect that the choice window hider is incomplete, since it doesn't account for the fact that the choice window is made visible when it is created and so if the message is still running when you press F8, I suspect the choice window would pop up, but that I haven't tested.

I think to resolve that issue, I would probably need to rewrite the hide textbox code with the ATS specifically in mind though, so I won't for now.

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!! ::PEHU:: IT REALLY WORKS!!! ;8

Finally I can start to relax and actually begin to work on Kanokon - Kitsune no Yomeiri. But before, once again: Thanks for doing this, and above all the Advanced Text System 2.0

Your contributions to the VX RPG is what actually make it possible to even use Enterbrain's product in the first place :blizj:

Cheers!

O.

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Current Project: RoSL
I understand it's been about 2 months since this was posted in, but since I am unaware of how far off ATS 3.0 is, I figured might as well post it here.

In the instruction section of ATS 2.0 where it goes over all the various codes, there's one I think was forgotten or I'm using wrong. When using \NP[n], which is supposed to display the name of the Actor in party index "n" (0-3), all it does is display the code and not the Actor's name.

I tried searching through the script to find the part that looked for "\NP[n]" in a message window but was unsuccessful. Is this feature implemented? Or did I mess up somewhere?

-Heart of Shadow-

"How can I be expected to save the world, when I can't even save myself?" --Sysolos(Return of a Shadow Lord)

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, I think I replaced it because you can use \PID and \N to effectively replace it, so:

\n[\pid[n]]

would do the same thing.

However, if you want the NP code, then paste the following code into its own slot below the ATS but still above Main:

#==============================================================================
# ** Game_Message
#++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
#  Summary of Changes:
#    aliased method - perform_substitution
#==============================================================================

class Game_Message
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  # * Perform Substitution
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  alias moaba_prfrmsubs_np_ats_8kn3 perform_substitution
  def perform_substitution (text, *args)
    txt = moaba_prfrmsubs_np_ats_8kn3 (text, *args)
    txt.gsub! (/\\NP\[(\d+)\]/i) { $1.to_i.between? (0, $game_party.members.size - 1) ? $game_party.members[$1.to_i].name : "" } # Name by Party Position
    return txt
  end
end
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:52:53 PM by modern algebra »

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Current Project: RoSL
I just added the line where it looked like it would have been originally in the ATS script, and it works perfectly.

I figured since it was mentioned as a feature of the script, it was already in there. Plus, I like the shorter "\np[n]" over the rather long "\n[\pid[n]]". Thanks for the quick reply and help!

Really looking forward to the next version of this and the Quest Journal.

-Heart of Shadow-

"How can I be expected to save the world, when I can't even save myself?" --Sysolos(Return of a Shadow Lord)

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
I don't remember what your bug was specifically, but try this: find the initialize method of Window_Choicebox and replace it with this:

#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  # * Object Initialization
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  def initialize
commands, width = prepare_choices
index = -1
@true_command_indices = []
commands.dup.each { |i|
  index += 1
  @true_command_indices.push (index)
  while i.sub! (/\x83<(\d),(\d+)>/) { "" } != nil
if $1.to_i == 1 ? !$game_switches[$2.to_i] : $game_switches[$2.to_i]
  commands.delete (i)
  @true_command_indices.delete (index)
  break
end
  end
}
# Height is same as window if on the same line, else it is no greater than window
if $game_message.choicebox_on_line
  height = $game_message.message_height 
else
  wlh = $game_message.wlh
  height = 32 + [(commands.size.to_f / $game_message.column_max.to_f).ceil.to_i*wlh, $game_message.row_max*wlh].min
end
# Compute window height from command quantity
super(width, commands, $game_message.column_max, 0, 24)
self.windowskin = Cache.system ($game_message.choicebox_windowskin)
self.height = height
self.z = 350
self.back_opacity = $game_message.choicebox_opacity
set_position
  end

I am going to start working on ATS 3.0 pretty soon, so you can expect to see a more thorough fix of the issue in that. I believe that will work though.

Sorry it took so long to reply to your message.
I tried posting it in where you suggested and it still came up with the same problem.

Rep:
Level 97
heh, I think that was directed at another person, so not too surprising it doesn't work. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but after the line in question:

@line_spacing.slice! (0, @line_count)

replace it with:

@line_spacing.slice! (0, @line_count) if @line_spacing

I'm not positive that will be sufficient, as it appears that the SBS doesn't turn on the $game_temp.in_battle switch, and so where my script relies on that to differentiate between battle and map, problems may occur. If you encounter any others, I will look into a more permanent fix.

Please help me. I can't add this script. I am new at scrips :lol: please explain it.

im also new to scripts and it seems like there was a lot of mistakes and bugs on it so could some one post the full script of either 3.0 or 2.0?

Thanks! Haru

Rep:
Level 83
im also new to scripts and it seems like there was a lot of mistakes and bugs on it so could some one post the full script of either 3.0 or 2.0?

Thanks! Haru

This isn't full of bugs. Its patches for other scripts. The full version is available to download on the 1st page.
Second, go to the script editor. Go down and find the section on the left side named "Materials". Click underneath that part, and right-click and click on 'insert'. Next, go over to the demo of the script. Go to the script editor, find materials, and underneath that should be something labeled 'Advanced Text System'. Click on it. On the right side, select all the text that appears. Copy it. Go back to your project. Click on the new page you inserted. Paste the text.
And there you go

oh were they ok. well i did that but im new to scripting so im not quite sure what to do after that  ;8 most of the other scripts ive used had all this infomation come with but im guessing you dont put it in for max customazation?

Rep:
Level 83
Well I would play through the demo, and it will tell you how to use it, and how to customize it.

Modern, I don't know how you can be so nice to everyone when I am sure that you get asked the same questions over and over again.