RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Advanced Text System 3.0c

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Perhaps a script idea?   ;8

Not that I see a use for it as just that though lol.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Yeah, I can add it in to 3.0

Rep:
Level 83
Just so everyone knows, this will not work right with Yanfly's Battle Scene ReDux.
It works until you use "Show text" or if you or the enemy gets the first strike. Then the text appears at the bottom of the screen, over your party data. (See screenshot link below)

Even  if you put the text postion at the top, it still turns out like that. Just an FYI for people using Yanfly's script. I would try to fix this, but ATS is huge and....I wouldn't be able to find it.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 01:29:41 AM by redyugi »

Rep:
Level 83
Look back a page or two on this topic. I believe what you are saying is what I had already asked and modern algebra made a fix for shortly after.

Rep:
Level 83
Isn't that for the "Display Victory Aftermath"?

Rep:
Level 83
No need for the sarcasm. I did look, but I skimmed. I don't have the time to read every post.
Anyway, thank you for pointing it out. I have missed it both times I looked.

EDIT:

The "Show text" is still messed up, no matter where I position it in the editor. The actual attack text is fixed though.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 01:51:04 AM by redyugi »

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
I had posted this earlier but did not receive an answer...
I was using the ATS 2.0 and everything was going fine till I entered a battle and received the error:

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I was using the ATS 2.0 and everything was going fine till I entered a battle and received the error:

I'm sorry for missing you.

It's very likely a compatibility error. What other scripts are you using? Particularly ones that effect battle?

I'm sorry for missing you.

It's very likely a compatibility error. What other scripts are you using? Particularly ones that effect battle?

It's alright... I've been busy with school most of the time...

I'm using:

SBS Configurations
Sideview 1 (3.3b)
Sideview 2 (3.3b)
Bubs' Bow Addon
Default Scope Options Addon
Paragraph Formatter v1.1
ATS Version 2.0
Victory Battle Aftermath
Scene Splash
Scene Stats Redux
Scene Menu Redux
Scene Shop Redux

Rep:
Level 97
Try putting it below all those other scripts.

Try putting it below all those other scripts.

I tried but it still didn't work... I received the same error.

Rep:
Level 97
Do you receive the error when you play the demo?

Do you receive the error when you play the demo?

Yes, it's fine till it comes to a battle then it tosses the error at me. I mean I've looked at the line but it has nothing in it with the name of 'slice!'

Rep:
Level 97
You're saying it happens in the ATS demo attached to the first post?

If that's the case, then I don't know what could be wrong, since battle in the ATS demo works fine for me.

The only thing I know of that I use the slice! method on is @text of Window_Message. The error is suggesting that @text is nil or has not been defined. But it has been for sure, so the only thing I can think of is that it's an incompatibility. You saying it happens in the ATS demo suggests something else though.

You're saying it happens in the ATS demo attached to the first post?

If that's the case, then I don't know what could be wrong, since battle in the ATS demo works fine for me.

The only thing I know of that I use the slice! method on is @text of Window_Message. The error is suggesting that @text is nil or has not been defined. But it has been for sure, so the only thing I can think of is that it's an incompatibility. You saying it happens in the ATS demo suggests something else though.

I'm not entirely sure... I mean... I re downloaded it and it worked fine. I inputted the code into my script instead of the other one and then ran my game. it came up with the same problem...

But here's a good question. When using the text for during a battle, is there anything I have to do because that could be the problem. The first battle I made and enter has text in the actual battle and such still using the the ATS... Could that be the problem...?

Rep:
Level 97
No, that should be fine. I think it's likely that the message window is using a foreign battle message window that inherits from the ATS but doesn't initialize properly. Can you upload your Scripts.rvdata and any accompanying pictures your scripts need to work? Just attach them to your next post.

No, that should be fine. I think it's likely that the message window is using a foreign battle message window that inherits from the ATS but doesn't initialize properly. Can you upload your Scripts.rvdata and any accompanying pictures your scripts need to work? Just attach them to your next post.

I attached everything to the post...
Well except the pictures for the splash screen as there is about 21 of them...
I did it with pictures instead of AVI...

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
Hello once again! I was wondering if you've made any progress on the choice bug.

Rep:
Level 97
I don't remember what your bug was specifically, but try this: find the initialize method of Window_Choicebox and replace it with this:

Code: [Select]
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  # * Object Initialization
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  def initialize
commands, width = prepare_choices
index = -1
@true_command_indices = []
commands.dup.each { |i|
  index += 1
  @true_command_indices.push (index)
  while i.sub! (/\x83<(\d),(\d+)>/) { "" } != nil
if $1.to_i == 1 ? !$game_switches[$2.to_i] : $game_switches[$2.to_i]
  commands.delete (i)
  @true_command_indices.delete (index)
  break
end
  end
}
# Height is same as window if on the same line, else it is no greater than window
if $game_message.choicebox_on_line
  height = $game_message.message_height 
else
  wlh = $game_message.wlh
  height = 32 + [(commands.size.to_f / $game_message.column_max.to_f).ceil.to_i*wlh, $game_message.row_max*wlh].min
end
# Compute window height from command quantity
super(width, commands, $game_message.column_max, 0, 24)
self.windowskin = Cache.system ($game_message.choicebox_windowskin)
self.height = height
self.z = 350
self.back_opacity = $game_message.choicebox_opacity
set_position
  end

I am going to start working on ATS 3.0 pretty soon, so you can expect to see a more thorough fix of the issue in that. I believe that will work though.

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
Ahh, thank you so much! It works fine now. :D

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
I recently started using ATS in a simple game I'm making to create study guides for
my college tests. Its become quite popular with my classmates.

I'm started using ATS because I needed the multiple choice options to appear onscreen while
the question is still in view. I'm in an advanced medical program, so the questions are often
to complex to remember while selecting an answer.

It's workin' great, thanks SO much.

I have a problem though:  During a cut scene I did before adding ATS, I used the
'old' \> command in a series of text boxes. The scene was very precisely timed so,
after switching to ATS, the \>s stopped working and the timing slowed b/c the messages
took longer to scroll before the \^ would auto close them.

I switched all of the \>'s to \@s, because the documentation for ATS said that \@
replaced \>... however, this causes the messages to blink by more quickly than
they can be read.

With ATS active, how can I format the messages so that they work the same as
before ATS?

To illustrate:

The old message said:  "\> Blah Blah Blah \|\.\^" The message would display for 1.25 seconds then auto-close. After adding
ATS, it would scroll the words out, then wait 1.25 seconds before auto-closing, I assume b/c the \> was no longer recognized.

The message I have now: "\@ Blah Blah Blah \|\.\^" I expected this to display the text, wait 1.25 seconds, then close... but instead the text is displayed for about an eighth of a second before closing. Adding additional \|s or \.s don't seem to have any effect. Using \@@ instead of \@ doesn't seem to change anything either.

The scene is a credits screen, so I don't want the names to scroll across the text box and I certainly don't want the player
to have to press enter to advance the credits. I also don't want to give up my precious choice boxes!

Am I missing something? How can I get this to work the way it did before?

Thanks,
Eric

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 02:01:10 AM by EricDahRed »

Rep:
Level 97
That does seem to be a problem. Try adding this in its own slot below the ATS but above Main in the script editor:

Code: [Select]
class Window_Message
  alias modrnalg_atsbugfix_pause_skip_0bh2 draw_message_character
  def draw_message_character (c)
    if c == "\x04" || c == "\x02"
      @show_fast = false
      @line_show_fast = false
    end
    modrnalg_atsbugfix_pause_skip_0bh2 (c)
  end
end

Cool. Thanks for the response! I was able to fix the glitch this morning before I got your response, but I added
your patch anyway.

My solution:

I noticed that the bug only occurs if \. occurs in a message box where there is a preceding \@ and \| and the message ends with \^.

Ex:  "\@Blah Blah\|\.\^"  Opens and closes almost instantly, seeming to ignore the 1.25 second pause of the \| and \.

Ex:  "\@Blah Blah\.\|\^" Works fine. The box opens, spells the message instantly, waits 1.25 seconds, and closes.

The \. must precede the \| otherwise both pauses are ignored.

I have no idea why this happens, but at least I know how to avoid it! :D

Thanks!

Hey man, I just wanted you to know that the patch you wrote works great. Not only did it kill the problem
I was having (and saved me the trouble of implementing that tedious workaround I mentioned earlier over and over
again) but it seems to have evened out the timing of the boxes so that it more closely matches the
original timing of the scene (before ATS), making it easier for me to adjust.

Also, I really want to give you a big thanks for the script overall. As I mentioned before, the game I'm making is actually
a glorified study guide for a college medical program. I release a new version to my classmates a couple days before
each test (which pretty much means I do a update every weekend).

With your script, I can increase the size of the message box and created longer, more in depth questions, or I can create
multiple choice questions with more than 4 possible answers.

The biggest boon, certainly, is the choice box being separate from the text box. Now the students can read the question and
the answers as many times as they need before choosing an answer.

So I offer you a gigantic thanks. You have made my study guide 100% better.

-Eric