RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Advanced Text System 3.0c

Rep:
Level 83
Thanks for the help again. That F12 Fix the first one on there did work but that closes and re-opens. I tried the other and still got a stack level too deep, so I have to keep the "unless $@" command next to the alias where the error occurs on line 1871.

The \x00 did not seem to do anything as I had put it on both areas like last time.

The hack fix did work but, if I try to escape and fail and win the battle, Yanflys Victory Aftermath script appears too high up and the players message appears there as well, but the next message it sets itself right where it needs to be.
But if I manage to escape, the next message I talk to on from an NPC would appear on top even though I have it set on the bottom. But the next message will appear on the bottom and things would be normal then.

I am thinking it's maybe like when I asked how for the text changes to take effect immediately and you told me "$game_message.clear". That is my guess anyway. It really did work though otherwise, I know you are tired and sorry for troubling you.

Again thanks for the help. I feel bad for troubling you with these questions and problems.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 04:53:08 AM by Raukue »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I don't know what else to say about the something thing. I don't know what's causing it. Try putting a space after the final period.

$game_message.clear might work for that, maybe not. I don't remember this script well enough to be sue. It's worth a try though.

Sorry that the Aftermath is appearing too high :(

But, I don't think I will do any more bug fixes or compatibility patches until I write the next version, sorry. It takes too long because the script isn't written well enough. Once I rewrite it, it will be a lot easier so that's what I'm going to do. Sorry :(

I will keep the same naming, and formatting, so if you can live with the graphical incompatibilities for now, than you can keep using 2.0c until 3.0 comes out, and then I will make sure to fix it up for you.

But if you find any bugs, still report them by all means. It will help me avoid them in the rewrite :D\

Also, any features you'd like added to the script, now is the best time to suggest them

Rep:
Level 83
Well I was thinking that something that refreshes or updates the window like "$game_message.clear" would go into the hack fix script you made. Edit: Sorry my mistake there is no problem with the aftermath script its just the message window appearing on top instead of the bottom for that first moment to why I thought that. There just needs to be a window refresh or something I guess as stated previously.

So I am just wondering what command should go into your hack fix to refresh the window back asap rather than 1 message too late? Because either that message too late is the aftermath or if i escape, the message late is the next person I talk to, message appears on the top and next one appears on the bottom like it should because I have it on the bottom.

And alright. If the new version will be more improved and all that, it'd be awesome. I wonder if there is going to be any updates for your other scripts like Quest Journal or Path Finding? If it needs any updating. Quest Journal was quite difficult to understand and Path Finding I got a syntax error or something when trying to do it in this cutscene. First one ran fine but the one that happens towards the end is where it happened, dunno if that could be my bad, but that is another topic there I suppose.

Anyway I can't think of any features at the moment... but if I do I'd be sure to tell them, as well as anymore bugs.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:33:05 PM by Raukue »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Well, it would, but not into the method and class I had modified. Try adding this to it:

Code: [Select]
class Window_BattleMessageCompatible
  alias modalg_ynfly_atsvicaft_inize_6kv2 initialize
  def initialize (*args)
    $game_message.clear
    modalg_ynfly_atsvicaft_inize_6kv2 (*args)
  end
end

class Scene_Battle

alias modalg_ynfl_bttlend_sbrats_8ng3 battle_end
  def battle_end (*args)
    $game_message.clear
    modalg_ynfl_bttlend_sbrats_8ng3 (*args) # Run Original Method
  end
end

It assumes you have the Victory Aftermath Compatibility thingy. Hopefully that fixes everything for you. Sorry for being short with you last night. It doesn't matter how well written a script is, I get sort of cranky when looking at another's code for too long :P

I will be doing an update for Path Finding. probably not for the Quest Journal. I had originally planned to have an updat so that if you select a quest than it brings you to a journal - the journal would be such that the game maker could add things directly or let the player write his own stuff. I have since come to realize, though, that most people seem to like their scripts less complicated than all that. Maybe I'll do it one day though.

For Path Finding, I have been thinking about doing an update for a while. It's on my To-Do List.

Sk8r Boi
Rep:
Level 83
Skater's Handy Fox
I've seen victory aftermath, what is it?

Rep:
Level 83
Thanks, adding that fixed the problem to where if I escaped after battle and if there was a message, it would now go on the bottom where I have it. But... the message still appears on top after battle for that first message but then goes back on the bottom, as shown on the screens.

First message:

Message after:

So it seems the window refreshes 1 message late still when on victory. Keep in mind though this is only if I go to escape and fail to escape and finish off the battle. If I never go to escape and win the battle then the first one shows normally, showing on the bottom where that blank space is.

If I do manage to escape at least the normal messages refresh then rather than 1 message too late.

Oh I managed to fix it... I went into "Yanfly Engine RD - Victory Aftermath Compatibility" which is an extension to the Aftermath if there are problems with the message window and under line 60 where it says "refresh" I had put "$game_message.clear" under it and that seemed to work. So I guess that problem is fixed unless it would cause problems elsewhere now.

So I guess it's all fine now? Ah well I will still leave what I said on here. There is of course that word skipping to the next line too early thing but as you said, would have to wait for you to rewrite it to know what the problem is.

Sk8r Boi
Rep:
Level 83
Skater's Handy Fox
I am so stupid, I meant path finding. What is that? :police:

Rep:
Level 97
@Raukue - Strange that it didn't work in the first place. I tested it and it worked just fine. Had you put the last thing I posted under the special Victory Aftermath Compatibility thing?

@shandy - it's a script that moves a character to a specified square by the shortest possible path.

So, if you wanted a character to go somewhere specific with Move Events you'd have to know where the character was and you'd have to put in the commands individually. Move Left, Move Right, etc...

with a PathFinding script, all you need to do is type in find_path (x, y), and it will take you to the square no matter where the character is.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:58:13 PM by modern algebra »

Sk8r Boi
Rep:
Level 83
Skater's Handy Fox
This is amazing, I never knew it did that. I need it. :-[

Rep:
Level 83
@Raukue - Strange that it didn't work in the first place. I tested it and it worked just fine. Had you put the last thing I posted under the special Victory Aftermath Compatibility thing?

Oh yeah that works too. Just when you said add this to it, I thought you meant add to the hack fix you had sent me since it wasn't clear on where I should of added it. But yeah there we go, it works now, thanks.

Rep:
Level 83
Oh I just thought of something that could be added into it. Need volume controls for the sounds as well as pitch. Instead of how you had the letter by letter sound:

MESSAGE_SE = "Cursor"

Needs an option to easily adjust within the modifying area rather than going into the script itself.

MESSAGE_SE = ("Cursor", 100, 100)

If that is any idea anyway. More customization and being flexible.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Good suggestion, but doesn't this script already have like 80 billion customizations? lol

Rep:
Level 83
I suppose but MA did say to suggest any other possible features for if and when he does a version 3.0 so I did. Might as well add a sound customization to it as well I mean the sound tends to be too loud sometimes.

I thought of another feature, for say the message window to appear where it is best suited. Say the hero is more on the top of the screen and it'd probably be best for the message window to be on the bottom or well... something like that.

For the message window to automatically go where suited like say... calling a script to be associated with an event, like a prince is talking and moving about. The message window should go either automatically on the top or bottom according to where he is, but then say someone else talks and the same thing. Eh I am not explaining this well... oh well.

The sound thing though yeah... need a volume control for the letter by letter sound and whatever other sounds that can be used with it, seems to be no control over it.

Rep:
Level 97
Hey, I like that idea so much I am going to put it in a year ago :P

if you write:

MESSAGE_SE = "Cursor", 40

THen it would set volume to 40

similarly:
   MESSAGE_SE = "Cursor", 60, 90

would set filename to "Cursor", volume to 60, and pitch to 90.

The same goes for setting it from in-game

$game_message.message_se = "name", volume, pitch
$game_ats.message_se = "name", volume, pitch

You don't have to set all three though, as volume and pitch will default to 100 if they are not set.

As for the message window to appear where it is best suited, I suppose I could work something out for that.

Sk8r Boi
Rep:
Level 83
Skater's Handy Fox
Perfect This is amazing

Rep:
Level 83
Well I suppose that works, but only takes effect on a new game it seems, not one saved before the change. And it was not too clear that could be done within the script like that, only with the Call Script commands. Ah well, if I think of anything else I will say so.

Rep:
Level 97
To change the default, all you need to do it use the $game_ats code:

$game_ats.message_se = "name", volume, pitch
$game_message.clear

Just set an event near where your save game is and activate it, and it will work for the save game too.

Remove it once you've updated the default settings for your games.

Sk8r Boi
Rep:
Level 83
Skater's Handy Fox
Even better for the testing.

Rep:
Level 83
Hmm alright will do.

Maybe you should include a letter by letter sound pack, really need sounds like a typewriter sound or the sound messaging from Lufia 2 I think has message sounds and Harvest Moon.

Guess that is more a personal note there... is there a place that has sounds that can be used for the letter by letter sound?

Rep:
Level 97
None specifically that I know of. But, just look at some SE sites and you'll probably find some. I know I've come across a typewriter one before.

Sk8r Boi
Rep:
Level 83
Skater's Handy Fox
This may be weird but I used a shotgun cocking noise and it sound's just like a typewriter. Chicago typewriter? No actually I'm serious, it was a sound sample from fruity loops. It works perfectly.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009

Sk8r Boi
Rep:
Level 83
Skater's Handy Fox
It works perfectly it's probally because of the speed that it runs at.

Rep:
Level 83
I had wanted to ask this before but didn't come to mind, is it possible for where the name goes into the \nb[name] command, for it to be of that dimmed window rather than the normal window skin? When I do a dimmed window, you know the black no border kind of thing, just when I put a name with it, to see a normal window with the black dimmed message window don't look right.

If this is possible, how is it done? Sorry it's late and asking this right before bed.

Rep:
Level 97
Well, you can change the opacity of the namebox to 0 - that might be the best solution. There is currently no way to show a picture behind the namebox though.