RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Advanced Text System 3.0c

Rep:
Level 86
amazing script, every feature works perfectly, haven't had any errors, and I've been customizing the script a lot, just one question, does this work on the initial screen, i mean like the color codes? i'd love it even more than i do now if they did, (that's quite hard!!!!) anyway, amazing script

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
No, I'm sorry but that uses a different window than the message window, so it wouldnt really fit in with this script. I am glad to hear you have not encountered any problems.

@Adrien. Sorry - I sort of forgot about it. I will look into it within the next couple days. I don't have access to the internet on my computer right now, but I should within a few more days.

Rep:
Level 86
shame, oh well, thanks for an a* script

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Alright, Adrien, I think I've located your weird ass bug.
Try inserting this into a new script BELOW the ATS in the script editor.

Code: [Select]
#==============================================================================
#  Skipped Message Bug Fix for ATS v.2
#++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
#  This fixes a weird bug that skips messages occasionally
# ** Window_Message
#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#  aliased method - new_line

class Window_Message
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  # * New Line
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  alias modalg_bug_fix_scroll_nw_ln_94n4 new_line
  def new_line
    modalg_bug_fix_scroll_nw_ln_94n4
    self.pause = false if @text == ""
  end
end

I apologize for taking so long to find a fix.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
thank you for fixing the error

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Embodiment of nothing
Alrighty, I haven't been using this script for long, but I think I'm getting used to it's features.
However, I've run into a bit of a wall here. I'll try to explain.
I've got a combined choice branch, with exactly 11 choices.  Depending one which you select, it will disable the choice, and reopen the choice branch to select another.

The above is an example of one of the 4 Choice commands.
Now, onto the issue.

Let's assume i select choice 1. This will set a variable, and turn switch 281 ON; Disabling choice 1.
I check my variables, and the correct variable has been set.

I select choice 2. The same as above happens. The command disappears, and the proper variable is set to 1.

I open the box for a third time, currently, choice 1 and 2 are gone, as they are supposed to be.
I select choice 5. The wrong switch and variable are set. The variable for choice 4 is set instead.

Further testing showed that it continued in this pattern. Disabling the wrong command, and setting the wrong variable. What i assumed, was that the ID of the next choice command was being used for the selection.  As in, selecting  choice 5 used the contents of choice 4, instead.

I've used several other commands that I thought might conflict, and cause this error. As well as setting the box's column count to 4, and row count to 3.
Even removing these commands didn't solve it, so I've come to the natural conclusion, that it is a script error.

I'm apologize for the messy post, I seem to lose track of what I've covered when making these things.
I'm really not sure what other information may be important. I'd appreciate some clarification, or assistance.

Rep:
Level 97
Yes, it likely is an error in the script. If you wouldn't mind, could you send the project with the error in it to me? If you do not feel comfortable sharing the contents of your project, then you could reproduce the error in another project and send that to me. It would make the process go a lot faster.

Embodiment of nothing
I cleared out everything that was unnecessary. Hopefully it cut the file size enough. (was 100mb)

For reference, i've altered the event to tell you which choice you selected.
Also, the common event in question, is #10.

Although I've nothing left in the project I'd like to keep private, I've sent the link in PM to be proper.

Rep:
Level 97
Alright, Thank you. I will get to work.

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
I seem to have this issue as well. If you have four choices:

A
B
C
D

And if you have A and B not appearing due to switches, selecting C will result as if you selected B, and selecting D will result as if you selected C! I'll PM you the project, if you wouldn't mind looking at it.

A fix would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:42:51 AM by SouthWall »

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, thank you for the extra data. I am looking into it, but I've been pretty busy with school and haven't been able to do scripting that isn't very very simple. I will try to have it fixed before too late in February.

Rep:
Level 84
Huh?, Very Great Script Modern Algebra!!
Wow!!~^^

But I have a suggestion, this might be hard because…

How about add the Menu for Speed Text system. With this, the Player can adjust the menu(text speed) whatever their like. Example: Fast 0 – 10 Slow.

I Hope someone read this and reply it.

Thank you, my friend, At least reading .~^^

Rep:
Level 97
the menu text speed? The menu doesn't draw letter by letter though ~ it draws it all at once. I don't know what you're asking.

Also, I have not looked at the bugs with this script yet. I keep meaning to get around to it, but I have a pretty full plate at the moment. I will do it though, and I have not forgotten about them.

Rep:
Level 84
Yes...I see the misunderstood at there...I hope you understand with it...~^^.             

Huh..(I not very well at English)... I meant that add the Menu..Maybe the command menu for adjust the text speed(when talking with NPC and other)

I know the menu go out at once..I meant that the player can adjust the text speed when talking with npc or other

Example: Slow 10 => Fast 0.

(Not for the menu text speed)(Create the command menu for adjust the text speed during talking the NPC or etc)

Please tell me if you do not understand with it...I see you are very hard working scripter/coder.
Nice...Keep it up~^^
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:20:49 PM by KAZRCRW_ME »

Rep:
Level 84
Huh sorry for double post..
I have the AOM(Advance Option Menu)

And just upload it here... take a look..

I do not know about the author...

And in there, there has Paragraph Formatter and ATS (Advance text System) all made by Modern Algebra.

Take a look….
Maybe you can adjust for add the 'command menu' for the player that can adjust the text speed during/after talking with NPC and other...

(Hope...please understand with me....)(Please understand with me)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H2AXV13W

I know to create the script is harder... and I  do not want to disturb you..Please respond it so I can know if you want to create it or not.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:43:43 PM by KAZRCRW_ME »

Rep:
Level 97
I'll take a look and if it seems easily doable, then I will do it. If it is hard, then I will put it on my list of major scripting projects, and it might take some time before I could get around to it.

Rep:
Level 84
Thank you very much.. Modern Algebra ...I am very appreciates with your helps~^^

Rep:
Level 84
I'll take a look and if it seems easily doable, then I will do it. If it is hard, then I will put it on my list of major scripting projects, and it might take some time before I could get around to it.

Sorry for double post.

1)How close is this request to being finished??

2)I was found Bug in your ATS Script, hope you will give attention. There was a crash with other script made by Worale/Woratana.
The Quick Face Border by Worale.
(There are no error in there but has only a bug)

The Quick Face Border does not work after talking with NPC (The messages).

Hope you understand with my words.....
If you not understand I can explain it..

I think that all, and sorry if I take your time.

Rep:
Level 97
Hmm, well compatibility issues are to be expected among other message scripts. I will take a look. In the meantime, the ATS does have an option to give the faceset its own window. Maybe you could see if that achieves a similar effect.

As for the original problem, it is doable. What options do you want me to include though? Just text speed?

Rep:
Level 84
Hmm, well compatibility issues are to be expected among other message scripts. I will take a look. In the meantime, the ATS does have an option to give the faceset its own window. Maybe you could see if that achieves a similar effect.

As for the original problem, it is doable. What options do you want me to include though? Just text speed?

ok..sorry for late reply.. The options do i want you to include though just text speed i think that all.Actually it more to up to you to add or not.
I am very thank you for you because accept my request.

Edit: for truly i said you have another bug... withEmoticon on Face made by Nechigawara Sanzenin

Maybe you should add the script/code in your ATS... the Balloon that appears in Messages.I am sorry if i have bad English Which made you not understand with me. And sorry if i take your time.

Spoiler for [b:
Script[/b]]
# Emoticon on Face
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# By Nechigawara Sanzenin
# WARNING!! : This script can use on RPG Maker VX Only!! (XP Not Support)
=begin
How to Use:
Add "\E[Number Of Emoticon]" To text in message control
You can see Number of Emoticon on "Balloon.png" in "Graphics\System" or
"%programfiles%\Common Files\Enterbrain\RGSS2\RPGVX\Graphics\System".
when the line number of emoticonset is 1 , Number of Emoticon is 1.
when the line number of emoticonset is 2 , Number of Emoticon is 2.
Max of Number of Emoticon is 10.
You can set Emoticon's Position at EMO_X and EMO_y.
You can set frame rate at BALLOON_WAIT.
if the message window don't have face,Noting happen.
=end
class Window_Message < Window_Selectable
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  BALLOON_WAIT = 12
  EMO_X = 93
  EMO_Y = 15
  alias inc_initialize initialize
  def initialize
    inc_initialize
    @viewport = Viewport.new(0, 0, 544, 416)
    @viewport.z = z + 50
    @balloon_face = 0
    create_balloon
  end
  alias inc_dispose dispose
  def dispose
    inc_dispose
    dispose_balloon
    @viewport.dispose
  end
  def update
    super
    update_gold_window
    update_number_input_window
    update_back_sprite
    update_show_fast
    update_balloon
    unless @opening or @closing             # ???????????
      if @wait_count > 0                    # ????????
        @wait_count -= 1
      elsif self.pause                      # ???????
        input_pause
      elsif self.active                     # ??????
        input_choice
      elsif @number_input_window.visible    # ?????
        input_number
      elsif @text != nil                    # ????????
        update_message                        # ????????
      elsif continue?                       # ?????
        start_message                         # ????????
        open                                  # ????????
        $game_message.visible = true
      else                                  # ??????
        close                                 # ?????????
        $game_message.visible = @closing
      end
    end
  end
  def create_balloon
    dispose_balloon
    @balloon_duration = 8 * 8 + BALLOON_WAIT
    @balloon_sprite = ::Sprite.new(@viewport)
    @balloon_sprite.bitmap = Cache.system("Balloon")
    @balloon_sprite.ox = 16
    @balloon_sprite.oy = 32
    @balloon_sprite.visible = false
    update_balloon
  end
  def refresh_balloon
    if @balloon_face == 0 or @balloon_face > 10
    else
      @balloon_sprite.visible = true
    end
    update_balloon
  end
  def update_balloon
    if @balloon_duration > 0
      @balloon_duration -= 1
      if @balloon_duration == 0
        @balloon_duration = 8 * 8 + BALLOON_WAIT
        @balloon_duration -= 1
      else
        @balloon_sprite.x = x + EMO_X
        @balloon_sprite.y = y + EMO_Y
        @balloon_sprite.z = z + 50
        if @balloon_duration < BALLOON_WAIT
          sx = 7 * 32
        else
          sx = (7 - (@balloon_duration - BALLOON_WAIT) / 8) * 32
        end
        sy = (@balloon_face - 1) * 32
        @balloon_sprite.src_rect.set(sx, sy, 32, 32)
      end
    end
  end
  def dispose_balloon
    if @balloon_sprite != nil
      @balloon_sprite.dispose
      @balloon_sprite = nil
    end
  end
  alias inc_terminate_message terminate_message
  def terminate_message
    inc_terminate_message
  end
  alias inc_convert_special_characters convert_special_characters
  def convert_special_characters
    inc_convert_special_characters
    @text.gsub!(/\\E\[([0-9]+)\]/i) { "\x09[#{$1}]" }
  end
  def update_message
    loop do
      c = @text.slice!(/./m)            # ???????
      case c
      when nil                          # ??????????
        finish_message                  # ????
        break
      when "\x00"                       # ??
        new_line
        if @line_count >= MAX_LINE      # ????????
          unless @text.empty?           # ??????????
            self.pause = true           # ????????
            break
          end
        end
      when "\x01"                       # \C[n]  (?????)
        @text.sub!(/\[([0-9]+)\]/, "")
        contents.font.color = text_color($1.to_i)
        next
      when "\x02"                       # \G  (?????)
        @gold_window.refresh
        @gold_window.open
      when "\x03"                       # \.  (???? 1/4 ?)
        @wait_count = 15
        break
      when "\x04"                       # \|  (???? 1 ?)
        @wait_count = 60
        break
      when "\x05"                       # \!  (????)
        self.pause = true
        break
      when "\x06"                       # \>  (???? ON)
        @line_show_fast = true
      when "\x07"                       # \<  (???? OFF)
        @line_show_fast = false
      when "\x08"                       # \^  (??????)
        @pause_skip = true
      when "\x09"
        @text.sub!(/\[([0-9]+)\]/, "")
        unless $game_message.face_name.empty?
          @balloon_face = $1.to_i
          refresh_balloon
        end
      else                              # ?????
        contents.draw_text(@contents_x, @contents_y, 40, WLH, c)
        c_width = contents.text_size(c).width
        @contents_x += c_width
      end
      break unless @show_fast or @line_show_fast
    end
  end
end
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 04:12:38 AM by KAZRCRW_ME »

Hey, I recently installed Yanfly's new Display Victory Aftermath script, and it's showing something weird on ATS' end. Basically messages appear twice as often as they should. As I wrote on RPGRev,

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm still getting the same error after using the compatibility fix and trying out every combination of scripts placing ATS higher/lower, the script higher/lower and compatibility. I've included an image to help show what's going on if it helps at all.

It shows the first message, then I hit the X or enter button and the portrait disappears, then I have to hit the X or enter button again for the next message to show up.

Do you have any idea of how ATS is affecting this? I know that Yanfly's script has a certain way of displaying message text, namely:

# Actor.ID  =>  # ----------------------------------------------------------
             1  =>  [# This is Actor 1's quotes.
                     [# This is the 1st random message that can be said.
                      "\\>\\c[6]\\n[1]\\c[0]\\<",
                      "\"Hmph! I didn't break a sweat.\"",
                      " ",
                      " "],
                    ],# This ends Actor 1

Rep:
Level 97
Hmm, I will definitely look into that tomorrow. It is likely an error on my part, as it seems that it is terminating the message without clearing the window.

First, see if:

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,25348.msg387740.html#msg387740

does anything.

Hmm, I will definitely look into that tomorrow. It is likely an error on my part, as it seems that it is terminating the message without clearing the window.

First, see if:

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,25348.msg387740.html#msg387740

does anything.

Yep, that did it!

Thanks man! :D

Rep:
Level 97
Cool. Good to hear!

Rep:
Level 85
Hello.

I want to inform you that your script doesn't seem to have the animated face disable/enable toggle. When I was using my faces (they all end in numbers) so some of them switch to another person's face. Because of the numbers in their filenames. I went through your script, but was unable to find a toggle. Or I missed a Boolean animated face somewhere somehow.

So I had to dive in your script and disable it manually myself.

Also, is there a way to get rid of the "pause" between the face changes? I'm using the expression faces. If I want to switch a happy face to angry face, it would make the happy face disappear, and come a new angry face. I don't want the face to "disappear." I want it to happen immediately, that you don't notice the face disappearing, and reappearing. (And it also affects the namebox, so it disappears along with the face. Dunno if you want to know that too.)

I used the code -    \|\^  and the face-disappear-appear is noticeable.

Meanwhile I'll try to look into the disappear/appear myself, but I'm only novice at ruby though. In the default project (No advanced test system), the face is replaced with another face immediately. So the pause between the face changes is by your script, that I know.

Thank you for writing this great script. I've been using it for a long time.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 12:15:41 PM by Aindra »