RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Advanced Text System 3.0c

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Isn't it "Even Commands>Show Choices"?

Rep: +0/-0Level 72
RMRK Junior
I'm talking about the choicebox thing in this script, not how to show choices in RMVX

I've been using RPG Maker for years, I know how to work it

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Just go to the gigantic configuration section and find the line that says:

Code: [Select]
  CHOICE_WINDOW = false

Change it to:

CHOICE_WINDOW = true

alternatively, if you wanted to change it permanently in-game, you can use the code in a script call:

ats_all (:choice_window, true)

or if you want to do it only for the very next message:
ats_next (:choice_window, true)

Phoenix King
I have a problem with the name box I put \nb[Guard] and it comes up but it is behind the text box the other scripts I have are in the attached picture. Could one of them be causing the issue?

One more thing does the ATS script include Paragraph Formatter?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 03:42:35 AM by Illuminatorr »

I am but a humble student of life. Come, let me show you what I've learned!

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Yes it includes the Paragraph Formatter.
As for the namebox below the textbox, it probably is one of those other scripts. Try putting the ATS below all of them but still above Main. If that doesn't work, you can probably fix it by CTRL+F for the line:

@name_window.open

Add after that line the following:

@name_window.z = 500

If that doesn't work, play around with that 500 and increase it until it does.

I just got a weird error. If I turn on choice_window and I have a tinted background for the preceding dialogue box the choice_window in game shows up dim as well (which isn't bad), but once I've made the choice the dim background still remains on the screen and can stack up to several times and never go away if there are multiple choices in the event.

Phoenix King
It worked thank you!

I am but a humble student of life. Come, let me show you what I've learned!

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
I just thought of another suggestion;  give this script the ability to print text right-to-left, and make it switchable in-game through a script command, like

text_rtl = true/false

or something like that.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I've already been told that necroposting in scripts sections is okay, so no rage for you.
Anyways, that is actually a pretty good idea for if there's some cryptic language in your game that you read backwards or something. Perhaps a system wherein text comes from both ends, or expands from the center?
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

I noticed if you set move when visible to on and \oc[x] it will place the message window over that event, but if you move along the x,y then the message window won't stay anchored to that point over the event.

Rep:
Level 97
Thanks for the headsup. I will get around to that and all the other recent issues very soon as I am going on break. Hopefully I can have 3.1 ready to go very soon.

Rep: +0/-0Level 79
A quick question for anyone who's comfortable with the ATS:

If I was going to insert a line of code to play a sound effect when the choicebox appeared, where in the ATS script would be the best place to do so?

(I've tried doing it with events, but putting anything between the last text message and the 'show choice' command makes the text message disappear, which I'd like to avoid.)

Thanks in advance. 
I know a place where we can go, and wash away this sin; sit and watch the clouds roll by, the tall grass waves in the wind.

I also have a question, just how does the filter command work? I do have a part of my game where the player chooses their gender, but I don't know how I can use the filter command to make that work. Do I go into the script and set it so that if player chooses male it'll run "ats_all (filter, he)" and the opposite for female and then just put "\f[?]" whenever the pronoun would come up?

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
Is there an ATS text command to respond to the arrow keys?  For example, if I wanted the message to pause, wait for arrow input (rather than enter), and then proceed?

EDIT: solved.  Worked around it :P

Also:
Is it just something I'm doing wrong, or does changing the font size fuck up paragraph formatting?

MA, this whole system is absolutely fantastic btw.  Idk what strange dementia compels people like yourself to expend time and energy building ridiculously deep code modules like this for the community, but I sure am grateful for it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:11:31 AM by teknoarcanist »

Rep: +0/-0Level 71
RMRK Junior
I found a huge glitch with appended choices.

If you have more than 4 choices by using many choice event commands.
Selecting the last of a set glitches and then crashes the game.

Example:
Event command 1:
Choice 1
Choice 2
Choice 3
Choice 4 <-- This
Event command 2:
Choice 5
Choice 6 <-- This

Selecting these will mess up.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:50:40 PM by Mr G W »

Rep:
Level 97
That doesn't happen in the demo, and I am finding myself unable to recreate the error - can you recreate the error in a project and send it to me so that I can see for myself? I can't really do much as is, except speculate that that method is being called for an index outside of the range included

RMRK Junior
Well its not a compatibility issue since i recreated it in a map without scripts.

this happens on every choice i append, so i dont really know what to do.

i dont have the map at this pc atm, ill show the event later.

EDIT: here it is a "demo" of the glitch. Selecting the 4th option from the choice will.. well glitch up.

I dont know why this happens, but it does not happen to all my events i use choices.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:33:27 PM by Mr G W »

RMRK Junior
I found something interesting: the glitch doesnt happen if the appended choices are inside a choice or a conditional branch, though i dont really feel like using conditional branches just to use a choice...

Rep:
Level 89
... I got nothing.
Hi, I switched over to your ATS after using the one that came from Yanfly's Engine Melody because yours had more features available to it. However, I've noticed that If I change the windowskin using the System Game Options, the menu will change but, the text in messages will remain the same as it was before. I know that not all scripts work together, but I just wanted to know if there was an easy fix. or not.

EDIT: Ugh, nevermind, got it to work. I just commented out all instances of calling the windowskin. Great script, MA.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:01:19 PM by epson777341 »

Seriously, can some please-please-please explain filters? I'm trying to set it up so that when the player makes a specific choice in-game the filter "1" changes to "he" or "she". As far as I can tell the script in the event should look something like "$game_ats.filters = {1="he"}" but that doesn't work.

Sorry to bother, but I found an odd glitch. If I have a choicebox that's dim, and then make a choice, the dim choicebox doesn't terminate. Alternatively if I have a character talk with a face graphic and use the dim background after that character is done speaking the messagebox won't terminate either. The only way I can get it to terminate normally is to just have a dim messagebox with no choices or face windows.

EDIT: On top of everything having ATS3 and the Quest Journal together causes the game to crash everytime I open the quest menu after a quest has been added, giving me an error that states the paragraph formatter (in the quest script) is an uninitialized constant.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:10:25 AM by Organ House »

Rep:
Level 97
Well, if you are using the Quest Journal, you need to have the separate Paragraph Formatter script - the one in the ATS is quite different.

As for the other problems, I will work on them as soon as exams are finished.

Thanks! That fixed everything! And don't stress yourself, I have time.

Rep:
Level 83
I see you have updated some of your scripts, mind showing me all your updated scripts? So far I been tinkering with adding this one on my oh so old demo I made, but I keep getting an error on line 2616 and don't know why. I deleted all your other scripts that I think went with ATS 2.0 but I am not sure.

Also, which scripts of yours are no longer compatible now with this update? Do any of these updated scripts of yours conflict with Yanfly or KGC now?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:35:42 AM by Raukue »

Rep: +0/-0Level 68
RMRK Junior
Hello. ¿This script still has support from author? I have a problem with paragraph option. I call script thereby: ats_all (:paragraph_format, true). And all I get is text drawing in a only one long line coming out the window. I will probably use the script, I need anothers of its options. But could be a great thing to write text at input without change line troubles...