RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Advanced Text System 3.0c

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Alright. Updated to Version 3.0. There may be a few bugs I missed, so I invite you all to please try it out and report any bugs or incompatibilities you might find. I will note that if you are upgrading from ATS 2, you will need to also put in the Conversion patch below the ATS3, since I changed a lot of the naming and things in this version. But once you have the conversion patch, all the work you did with ATS 2.0 will be preserved.

Download Demo
Download Text Document
Download ATS 2 Conversion Patch
Download Sample SpeechTag Graphics
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:27:14 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Finally upgraded. I'll test it out as soon as I can. Good Job MA!

EDIT: OMG, you can view a record of your text. I've always wanted to know how to do that.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 05:54:04 PM by cozziekuns »

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
I can't wait to take 'er fer a spin, but 2.0 was pretty damn good, so I am actually watering at the mouth thinking about this thing (which provides many essential features.)

Rep:
Level 83
Wow. Very nice MA. I like all the extra features and how you redid them

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
@cozzie - Thanks - in ATS2, I was pretty sloppy and instead of using oy to scroll contents, I had instead chopped off the top line and redrew the last three on a new bitmap. It was pretty sloppy and the scroll review and smooth scrolling features are only possible because I did it properly in this version. I'm glad you like :)

@Mikhail - well, I hope I don't disappoint you. Be sure to tell me what you think :)

@redyugi - Thanks!

Rep:
Level 84
Hey MA. Awesome update! I love it! I'm using the Conversion patch...and I plug it in, and test and I get this:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:15:26 AM by DarkCodeZero »

Rep:
Level 97
I can't see that - moved or deleted

Rep:
Level 84
Yeah, sorry. I was cleaning up my photobucket account and moved it.  It's up again.

Rep:
Level 97
and you've pasted in ATS3? and put the Conversion Patch under ATS3 in the Script Editor?

Rep:
Level 84
*Facepalm* Now I have. It works now. Thanks for correcting me on my retardedness.
EDIT: Do I still need the "Special Codes Formatter" or the "Paragraph Formatter v1.1" scripts anymore?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:30:47 AM by DarkCodeZero »

Rep:
Level 97
I had to do a small update to the ATS2 Conversion patch. You can download it here. All it was was a little problem with $game_message.choicebox_fitted, so if you don't need that then you won't need this update.

Rep:
Level 97
Alright, well no bug reports so far, so that's a good sign :)

Anyway, I decided to add a feature so the demo has been updated. All this does is make it easier to use non-standard facesets. Basically, now when you set :face_width and :face_height to 0, it will automatically draw the whole face. This means that instead of having to change the values of :face_width and :face_height every time you want to show a larger or smaller face, you can always have them at 0 and it will show the whole face, whether single or in a set. You can still specify values for :face_width and :face_height, if you wish, and when you do it will cut out the center of the face to those specifications; but this just makes it easier for people who just want to show the whole face.

Anyway, that's the only thing I changed in this update, and so if that feature doesn't appeal to you then you don't need to get the updated version.

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Could be useful if your drawing a lot of faces (which is exactly what I'm doing). By the way, where would you set your own images of your own speech bubbles?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it out myself.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:25:55 PM by cozziekuns »

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
RMRK Junior
I found a bug! Hopefully you can squash it lol.

So if I start a new game or a continue game then return to the title screen and start a new game or a continue game again I get this error message when going through a meassage box:

"Script 'ATS 3.0' line 3546: SystemStackError occured

Stack level too deep"

So yea... i noticed this bug in Ats 2.0 too. Hopefully this is fixable because i wuldnt want to have the character close the whole application every time he dies against that hard boss or chooses the wrong save file.

This isnt the same problem CaptainRegal was having right?

(This is my first time posting on this board and i just wanted to say. I cannot read the verification letters hopefully im not the only one lol)

Rep:
Level 97
It's not the same problem, but it is the same mistake I made. I didn't realize pause= was definded in the hidden Window class. Right around that line you should see:

Code: [Select]
alias whatever pause=

change it to:

alias whatever pause= unless $@

whatever is just a bunch of characters; don't modify them -just add the unless $@

I'll fix it for the next update.

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
Since AMS version 3 includes a paragraph formatter, where should the old PF2 be placed (below or above?) as PF2 is required for some of your other scripts (or can AMS3 substitute PF2?)
>Current Project: Time Killer 2<
Description: Random, plotless project designed to kill spare time. No storyline, just a building to explore.

Status: Fascinated by how appalling the default database is balance wise.

Rep:
Level 97
No, it can't substitute for PF2 in other scripts because unlike the real paragraph formatters, I designed the ATS one to go line by line so as to (A) reduce lag with really long messages, and (B) allow me to work it in where face sets are set so as to interfere with only a couple lines. PF2, on the other hand, does the whole message at once and so the scripts that use it can't use the ATS3 version.

Anyway, it doesn't matter where the PF2 is in relation to ATS3 in the Script Editor. Put it anywhere above Main, but usually when I use it I put it at the top of my custom scripts. It really doesn't matter though in general. The only scripts it will need to be under is any that overwrite the initialize method of Game_System.

RMRK Junior
A very good text system! BTW when I first play the demo, when I talked to "Size matters", the game crashed with an error stack level too deep at line 1800 or so which is "alias back_opacity= opacity=". However when i play the demo again without changing anything, the same error didn't appear.  I think I'll let you know anyway, so you can check if you have to change anything.

I don't know whether it's proper to ask this question here or not. But I really want to know what does this "unless $@" do, and why this solve the problem you posted before. I'm new to scripting so I'd really appreciat if you could explain it to me.
Thanks. :)

Rep:
Level 83
You know that if you hit F12 during gameplay, it restarts the program, right?
Well that initializes all the scripts again, which maybe cause a stack error depending on what the script modifies.
unless $@
tells the program to only initialize the script once, even if F12 is used

Rep:
Level 97
Well, that's not entirely true; it does that only indirectly. $@ contains the backtrace for the last exception raised. It is useful for debugging particularly, since if you do something like this:

begin
  # Code that may throw an exception
rescue
  p $@
end

It will print out where the error has occured.

When you first start the program, $@ will be nil, which is why "unless $@" will not prevent the initial aliases when first "loading" the scripts. The reason "unless $@" works to avoid stack errors in hidden scripts is because when F12 is pressed, an exception occurs in the update method of the Graphics module, which means that the second time it is "loading" the scripts, $@ will have the backtrace for that exception and therefore will not be nil, and so the "unless $@" will avoid re-aliasing the methods.

Personally, I think it is bad form to use this, and I prefer to directly check if the aliased method is already defined with a self.method_defined? check.

Anyway, thanks for the bug report.

I have decided to stop being lazy and have released v. 3.0b, which fixes both F12-related errors. That is all it does so there is no need to download the new version if that is irrelevant to anyone or if they've fixed it themselves. Hopefully that's the end of the bugs.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:27:43 PM by modern algebra »

RMRK Junior
Thanks for the explanation?It clarified al lot of things for my script learning.
One more question:
Do I still need the  paragraph formatter for other scripts like outline, quest journal, diary system?
Since in this link http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,35059.0.html, it says that it requires the paragraph formatter.
I'm not sure what will happen if I use the paragraph formatter with the ATS at the same time.

Rep:
Level 97
yes, you still need the paragraph formatter for other scripts and it does not interfere with the ATS

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
I think I have found another bug. When you use choices. With the Dim Background message option it works. However as soon as you exit the choices. The dim choice part of the window won't go away until you enter the menu or exit the map.

RMRK Junior
Never mind, now I had solved this problem by myself.  ;D
Anyway, thanks for creating the great tool!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
modern algebra,

I have a problem with the localization of ATS 3.0. It's not compatable with Woratana's display localization alphabets scripts.

because of ATS has revised the code of Window_Message, so I really have no idea how to implement Woratana's code into it.

Thanks in advanced

ps. please excuse my bad english, coz it's not even my third language ;8
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:16:31 AM by gigazomebies »

Rep:
Level 97
Cool, I'm glad you solved the problem :)

Good luck with your project and I hope you enjoy the ATS