RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Skills that cost HP

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Hey Modern Algebra, just wanted to say that I can't seem to get this script functioning with Tankentai. I've tried placing this script into a fresh download of the SBS, changed the script to have a skill take 40% of my maximum HP, and when I use the skill, it kills the user.

I was attempting to make an attack that Drained his health and healed all the allies.

I made another attack that damaged all enemies and drained 10% of his Maximum HP, and it took way more than 10%. I've tried placing the script, above, below, all around and upside down in my list of scripts, and still doesn't seem to work. Any idea? I love this script and have a character in my RPG completely based around his skills functioning like this. I'm also not a complete newbie when it comes to editting scripts and customizing them a bit, so I do not think that is the issue. You placed a pretty easy to follow example in the script itself.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Hmm, it looks like it might not have anything to do with tankentai - just a straight up logic error - totally my fault. I'll fix it.

EDIT::

Alright, I did a quick and messy "fix" and it is now in the first post. It should fix the initial problem, which was that I was subtracting the HP every time the skill hit a target. So 3 targets meant 120% instead of 40%. However, I haven't tested the new fix so I might have screwed up with syntax or any other number of reasons it's dumb not to test things.

Also, now it really might not be compatible with Tankentai, as I directly alias a method in Scene_Battle, which may operate unexpectedly now. So test it out in a new project and see if everything is dandy before putting it in your main project. If I created an incompatibility or created a new error, just let me know and I will address the problem more fully once I have time.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:57:10 AM by modern algebra »

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Here is the error that I receive now. The skill fires off, but when it goes to calculate the HP done, this happens. I don't actually see the HP get subtracted.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Sorry, dumb mistake. I have again updated the first post so try it again.

Rep: +0/-0Level 71
RMRK Junior
Getting a similar problem to the guy above. The HP is subtracted after the skill is used, but then I get this error and the game crashes.

Rep:
Level 97
Are you using a non-default battle system? Either way, you might be able to fix it by replacing:

Code: [Select]
class Scene_Battle
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Execute Battle Action: Skill
  alias mala_hpcost_excut_skill_6yh1 execute_action_skill
  def execute_action_skill (*args)
    mala_hpcost_excut_skill_6yh1 (*args)
    basic, percent = @active_battler.action.skill.hp_cost
    @active_battler.hp -= ((percent*@active_battler.maxhp).to_i + basic)
  end
end

with:

Code: [Select]
class Scene_Battle
  # * Execute Battle Action: Skill
  alias mala_hpcost_excut_skill_6yh1 execute_action_skill
  def execute_action_skill (*args)
    mala_hpcost_excut_skill_6yh1 (*args)
    return if !@active_battler || !@active_battler.action || !@active_battler.action.skill
    basic, percent = @active_battler.action.skill.hp_cost
    @active_battler.hp -= ((percent*@active_battler.maxhp).to_i + basic)
  end
end

Rep: +0/-0Level 71
RMRK Junior
Ah, that took care of it. Thanks. I was using the Tankentai Side View System, which may have caused the problem. But that code took care of it.

Rep: +0/-0Level 64
RMRK Junior
How do I set up the displayed cost for a skill? To have either the text be misleading or have a skill cost both MP and HP is very annoying.