RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Visual] [RESOLVED] Spriting in Photoshop

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
Gimme my Cricket
To Moderators: I'm not sure if this topic is in the right place, if not plz move to appropriate...thx

I'm having trouble changing the size of sprites without the loss of quality. When I try to enlarge or shrink in Photoshop, the sprite becomes blurry and when I try to enlarge in MS paint or GraphicsGale, it usually comes out distorted or too big. Can anyone help me??
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:52:40 PM by boe »

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Guns don't kill people. Magic missiles do.
Oop!  With Photoshop, look for an option that says "anti-alias" when you have something selected.  If you can't find it, use your program's Help file to get an idea for where it is on the screen, and how to disable it before resizing.  Anti-aliasing is Photoshop's way of trying to keep photographs smooth as you change their size, which is the exact opposite of what you want to happen with pixel work like sprites.

I can't help you with GraphicsGale, but with MSPaint, trying to resize stuff manually doesn't work very well.  When you have something selected, check out Image > Stretch/Skew and type your desired percentage increase/decrease into both options in the "Stretch" box.  You'll probably want to use the same dimensions in both the vertical and horizontal axes.

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
Gimme my Cricket
Thx, btw, I do use the Stretch/Skew option in paint and the sprites appear too big when that happens...but anyways thx for the help

Rep:
Level 87
Code Geass = Best show EVER XD
Project of the Month winner for May 2008
meh, I don't personally like photoshop for spriting, then again, I'm just not that good with it >_<

anyways, for paint, first right click the picture and select "select all", then choose copy/cut.

Now, stretch the picture border to how large you think you might want it to be.

Now, repaste your sprite, and while the sprite is still selected, right click and choose "Stretch/Skew"

Now just choose how much you think it'll be.

The reason you should use the right click instead of going to the image tap at the top is becuase using the image tab, the sprite will get distorted, which using right click, no new colors will appear.