RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RMVX Village Tutorial

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
Here's is my fist VX mapping tutorial. This time,  will show you how you can make a simple village, with the blocky RTP tileset.

First, let's make a map that's 30X30

First hint comes here. I've seen some village maps that has a fence surrounding the whole village. That's extremly ugly. Sure, you can have fences, but my suggestion is to just have it in the entry of the village.

You see these tileset pieces?
Spoiler for:

These are hte one you should use. The grass parts for a forest village, and the desert ones for a desert village, and ect.

We are going to make a grass village.

Paste grass on the whole map.

Then, decided where to put the entrance. I will put it in the upper left corner. Also, put trees outside the fence, so it looks more natural.

Here's how far we have come now.
Spoiler for:

See these parts?
Spoiler for:

Using that part make it looks more realistic. Trees close eacheter is more natural and realistic.

Now, the small entrance is done. Let's see how we can make a house.

Here's an exampel.
Spoiler for:

Houses in VX is tricky. Trying to make the non-symetrical will only end up in faluire. The houses is just meant to be square, sad enought.

Take a look on what I have done. Be creative. A fence surrounding the house makes it more private. Also, add detailed nature. Remember, nature is random, so don't put trees on a straight line.

Also, take a close look on this.
Spoiler for:

It may look wierd when you put the door there now, but you won't see it in game. This is very important if you want to make a door event, such as the quick door event. When you enter the door without something like this, you will walk straight into the wall. So remember that.

Well, we are far from done yet. Let's mae a town square, should we?

Remember, a town square can be symmetrical, since it's created by humans, but the nature must still be random surrounding the square.
Spoiler for:

You can also have a small river crossing the village. Don't make it to straight, It will look ugly, and non-realistic.
Spoiler for:

Also, use your imagination. Use your creative. With those skills, you can create amazing maps, even with VX:P
Spoiler for:
Hope you learned something today.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:01:07 PM by Black Shadow »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Looks like a really good tutorial. Nice work Black Shadow

I would move it, but it appears to be in the Database already :P

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
WHERE ARE THE ROADS? Goddamn... The way mapping is set up SUCKS. :P Thanks so much for the tut. I actually know what to do now, lol.

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
I don't get the door thing. It seems kinda strange.

Good work btw, it looks awesome.

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
I don't get the door thing. It seems kinda strange.

Good work btw, it looks awesome.

The door thing? It means that before you put in the "Quick Event" for the door, in the space where the door is going to be, there needs to be a black-space-tile (Found in part B of the tileset). Okay?  :)
The amateur 13-year-old old game maker girl is here!!

Current game: Icy Quest

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
That was a bit necro, but it's in the database so it's ok.

Rep:
Level 86
How come my fences have a brown out lining when i put it on my map? makes it look like the fence area has a small line of dirt following the inside and outside of it?
Chuck Norris told the kid from the "Sixth Sense" that he has AIDS.

Chuck Norris versus God, who would win? Trick question! Chuck Norris is God.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
How come my fences have a brown out lining when i put it on my map? makes it look like the fence area has a small line of dirt following the inside and outside of it?
That shouldn't happen, as long as you're using the right tile. If you're using the fence with grass under it, and you're using it over a grass tile, it won't do it. If you're using a sand fence over a grass tile, however, it will give you a dirt outline.

Rep:
Level 86
I got it... There was two short grass tile sets... theres one close to the top that has dirt surrounding the grass, but when its used on the full map you dont see the dirt... then there is another half way down thats a little different. Don't really know how to explain it. But i fixed it... Thanks anyways
Chuck Norris told the kid from the "Sixth Sense" that he has AIDS.

Chuck Norris versus God, who would win? Trick question! Chuck Norris is God.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I got it... There was two short grass tile sets... theres one close to the top that has dirt surrounding the grass, but when its used on the full map you dont see the dirt... then there is another half way down thats a little different. Don't really know how to explain it. But i fixed it... Thanks anyways
Yeah, you're supposed to use the auto-tile. =o

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
...whatever
so awsome i feel kinda nooby if i read and see this but it gived me a lot of inspiration thanks

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

1 thing: my english is very bad because im dislexion and im dutchXD