RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Skill Teaching Equipment & Items (VX Edition)

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Not easily. No. But with events yes. I made a system for it in the event database of VX.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
@grafikal - I don't remember seeing one  ???

It's not very efficient to do with events. It would involve checking the equipment for each actor a number of times uselessly - meaning that at least those 20 conditional branches would be run however many frames you choose (10 would probably be safe) and then having to make a conditional branch to make sure that any items you unequipped would lose the skill and that any items you just equip would give the skill. And most of these checks would happen when the player isn't even equipping or unequipping things. It's a lot more efficient to do it with a script, as it only checks for one piece of equipment when it is equipped, rather than all equipment all the time. There's too much going on in eventing to gunk it up with an event system like this would be, which has a lot more overhead than it's worth.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
._.   I read this incorrectly. I thought this was the Visually Changing Equipment. >_>

I was thinking about the Visual Change Equipment tutorial I made.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Well, it's pretty much the same I suppose :)

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
The sigil of ice keeps me at bay...
I've been using the script, and I've found that my characters don't forget the skills when I switch weapons

**EDIT**

Nevermind, I figured it out. Not a script problem, it's on my end ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:05:01 PM by WeaponMaster Kaesar »
Why does nobody ever stab somebody with a gunblade, and then pull the trigger?

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 8

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
Dude, is there something extra to add to where it won't teach the skill unless you're a specific class?  Yeah, I'm remaking the NES version of FF3 and in that game, you buy magic and give it to characters to learn... but only certain classes can learn stuff... so yeah... any help?

For some reason when I try to teach a skill using a item it says I have a error in line 162. I've put \ls[2] in the note of it but it isn't working. Any idea why? I don't have any other script like this in the scripts I'm using.
--------
Script's I'm using
---------
KGC_ExtraDropItem
Multi Slot by DerVVulfman
And Disc Changer VX by omegazion

Rep:
Level 97
Well, what does the error say?

My best bet, not knowing what the error says, is that you are getting a nil error, as @unnatural_skills is undefined. That would be the case if any of the scripts you are using (probably Multi-Slot if it does what it name suggests) overwrite the setup method of Game_Actor and Skill Teaching Equipment & Items is above it in the Script Editor.

So, try putting the Skill Teaching Equipment & Items script below all of the custom scripts you are using in the Script Editor (but still above Main), so put it below the scripts you just mentioned.

EDIT::

Though, thank you for calling my attention to this script - I realized there was a pretty serious error when an actor learns a new skill that he currently has through equipment. Updated the script to 2.0b!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 06:46:09 PM by Modern Algebra »

Well it works now thanks.

I've been playing with version 1 of your script, and when I found the second version of your script I was hoping you had added text pop-ups in it, but you haven't. Is there a quick and simple way to create a pop up when you use an item and teach a player a skill?

Example: I'm creating Tombs, such as "Tomb of Flame" which will teach one character one skill (in this case "Flame"). All I want it to say when I use it is "[Player] learned [skill]!"

Thanks a ton!

Rep:
Level 97
Do you want that message to appear in the menu as well, or only in battle like skills? If you want it to appear in the menu as well, where would you want it to appear and how big would you want the window to be? Would you simply want it to temporarily replace the help window or would you want it to be a popup near the character's profile on the targetting screen?

Also, I think you mean tome, not tomb. A tome is a book; a tomb is a place where you stuff dead people.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:08:30 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 82
This is very useful, I am thankful that you made it! Thank you!

Rep:
Level 82
It crashes saved games that already have everything equipped. When you try to unequip them it gives a line 74 error...

forget_skill (skill_id[0]) if @unnatural_skills.include? (skill_id[0])

Only with saved games. New games are fine.

Rep:
Level 84
Not meaning to resurrect a topic, but is it possible to assign a skill to a weapon (or weapon type such as a sword or a spear), but only have that skill learned while you have that weapon (or weapon type) equipped? And if you un-equip that item, you won't forget the skill, but it is unusable (or cannot be seen)?

Rep:
Level 97
What's the difference between forgotten and "cannot be seen"? You can have a skill forgotten when it's unequipped.

Rep:
Level 84
Umm actually thats basically what this script does. Only it does not really give you the skill.

IE:
Weapon
Fly Swatter
Gives skill with the \ls command.
Now when you unequip this weapon you TECHNICALLY loose that skill since you did not actually have it in the first place.
However using the \ls command you can give different weapons different skills.
This script does not actually teach you these skills to be kept forever.

For weapon types just use the \ls command and give that skill to each weapon. You can use the command lots of times per weapon/armor.
I think theres another script somewhere here (I forget which one I did not bother to use it lol) that can hide skills or at least disable them if you don't have a specific weapon equipped (IE: meleee slashing stuff like that set up.)

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Sorry for necroposting, but um. Where's the download link?

... I really hope I didn't just read over it.

Rep:
Level 97
It doesn't have a demo - you just copy the script from the code box in the first post and paste it into your game.

Rep: +0/-0Level 66
RMRK Junior
Ummm....I really like this script but I can't get it to work. I can never get the skills to show up OR get added to the character's skill roster. HELP!

Rep:
Level 74
I'm baaack!
I evented this before. Only took a few minutes :P

Rep: +0/-0Level 66
RMRK Junior
Using the script is a lot easier than eventing this in my case: I'm making a Persona game and the amount of eventing needed would be astronomical!

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
I didn't see this and I might be blind - sorry for the necro post - I noticed that if a dagger teaches fire, you equip the dagger you use fire, then you equip a rod that teaches ice, you no longer have the skill fire, you just have ice. (I assumed this was similar to that of FF9). Maybe its a script incompatibility or maybe its the way you designed it, either way is this suppose to happen?

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
That's intentional.
Once the weapon or armor is unequipped, you will no longer have access to that skill.
MA, could a write an add-on of sorts so that you can keep skills if desired?
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
so its suppose to be like that? lose the skill when you unequipped the item?

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Yes. But I'll post an add-on anyway. I'll edit it into this post.
Code: [Select]
#===============================================================================
#
# This add-on must go directly beneath Modern Algebra's Skill Teaching Equipment
# & Items script. To make it so that the actor will not forget the skills once
# the item is unequipped, put the tag:
#   \keep_skills
# in the notebox of the item, armor or weapon.
# By Pacman, 21/12/2011
# ~! REQUIRES AND MUST BE PLACED BELOW MODERN ALGEBRA'S SKILL TEACHING EQUIPMENT
# AND ITEMS SCRIPT !~
#
# This requires no editing.
#
#===============================================================================

class RPG::BaseItem
  def keep_skills?
    return if self.class == RPG::Skill
    return @keep_skills if !@keep_skills.nil?
    @keep_skills = false
    self.note.split(/[\r\n]+/).each { |line|
      case line
      when /\\KEEP_SKILLS/i
        @keep_skills = true
      end
    }
    return @keep_skills
  end
end

class Game_Actor < Game_Battler
  def change_equip (equip_type, item, test = false)
    unless test
      last_item = equips[equip_type]
      unless last_item.keep_skills?
        # Forget the skills from what was previously equipped
        skill_ids = last_item.nil? ? [] : last_item.skill_ids
        skill_ids.each { |skill_id|
          forget_skill (skill_id[0]) if @unnatural_skills.include? (skill_id[0])
          @unnatural_skills.delete (skill_id[0])
        }
      end
    end
    # Run original method
    ma_skill_teaching_items_equipment_change (equip_type, item, test)
    unless test
      last_item = equips[equip_type]
      # Learn the skills from current_equipment
      skill_ids = last_item.nil? ? [] : last_item.skill_ids
      skill_ids.each { |skill_id|
        unless skill_learn? ($data_skills[skill_id[0]]) || self.level < skill_id[1]
          @unnatural_learning = true
          learn_skill (skill_id[0])
          @unnatural_learning = false
        end
      }
    end
  end
end
Make sure it's below this script.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:11:15 AM by Pacman »
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know