RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
In case you're saying "Stencyl is limited to fan games" ...

Rep:
Level 87
When I say that nobody has any grounds to be arguing on, I also meant whether or not Stencyl is meant for fan games. Just because a group of people want to use something that they've never used before, or even seen, to make a fan game, doesn't mean that the program is geared towards that.

So, seriously, you can't have a real argument about whether Stencyl does this or that, or if it even exists or not, especially if you don't trust the programmer. All you know is their is something called Stencyl and, if it's even actually being made, it's supposed to make videogames. It stops there. Unless you believe Jon about what he has told you about Stencyl, you have no more information. No grounds for an argument.

Speculation, maybe, but...

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Just because a group of people want to use something that they've never used before, or even seen, to make a fan game, doesn't mean that the program is geared towards that.

What? That's exactly what that means.

I'm not talking about Stencyl's capabilities, I'm talking about what the program is going to be used for. And right now, it seems like the answer is fan games. For the most part, of course. I'm not saying Stencyl is incapable of making original games, I'm just saying that's generally not going to happen, given how people are reacting to the program.

When you consider time and effort that needs to be invested in a game project, as well as Stencyl's fanbase, it's no secret that a plethora of fan games will be created. When a 13 year old kid wants to design his very own video game, he's going to want to do it in the easiest and most efficient way possible, and Stencyl provides just that with their kits. What makes Stencyl geared towards fan games is the fact that those kits are based on games already in existence, meaning that the only finished games available are mostly going to be fan games. Don't believe me? Check and see how many finished projects there are on RMRK, compared to the total amount of project threads.

Contrary to the topic title, I'm not at all saying that Stencyl is limited to fan games. I'm just saying that fan games are going to comprise most of what Stencyl users will make.

Rep:
Level 87
Agreed. And, admittedly, I'm planning on making a fan game myself. However, Stencyl isn't only supplying fan-game kits. In fact, it's Polyhedron Designs which will do that, not to mention a hundred more who decide the PD fan kits aren't up to snuff. What the Stencyl team itself is supplying would be genre kits with generic resources. Much like RPG Maker, really, except with support for more genres. ^_^

Anyway, you should see the game ideas section on the Stencyl forums. There are quite a few interesting, original game ideas out there. Yes, many of which seem to have been abandoned, but there are still quite a few that haven't suffered that fate yet, and, hopefully, when Stencyl comes out, these ideas will become games.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Just because a group of people want to use something that they've never used before, or even seen, to make a fan game, doesn't mean that the program is geared towards that.

What? That's exactly what that means.

I'm not talking about Stencyl's capabilities, I'm talking about what the program is going to be used for. And right now, it seems like the answer is fan games. For the most part, of course. I'm not saying Stencyl is incapable of making original games, I'm just saying that's generally not going to happen, given how people are reacting to the program.

When you consider time and effort that needs to be invested in a game project, as well as Stencyl's fanbase, it's no secret that a plethora of fan games will be created. When a 13 year old kid wants to design his very own video game, he's going to want to do it in the easiest and most efficient way possible, and Stencyl provides just that with their kits. What makes Stencyl geared towards fan games is the fact that those kits are based on games already in existence, meaning that the only finished games available are mostly going to be fan games. Don't believe me? Check and see how many finished projects there are on RMRK, compared to the total amount of project threads.

Contrary to the topic title, I'm not at all saying that Stencyl is limited to fan games. I'm just saying that fan games are going to comprise most of what Stencyl users will make.
There's no way to be sure. Besides, from what I've heard from the team, fangames won't be allowed to be uploaded to Stencyl's website. You won't be seeing a lot of fangames on there, unless my information is incorrect.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
So Stencyl's providing a bunch of packaged game design kits, and won't even allow anyone to upload a game that uses them? Sounds like bullshit to me.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
So Stencyl's providing a bunch of packaged game design kits, and won't even allow anyone to upload a game that uses them? Sounds like bullshit to me.
You of all people should know that the Stencyl Team isn't working on the kits. The Polyhedron Design team is, and they are in no way affiliated with Stencyl. You know, you ARE still part of the Polyhedron Design team.

Rep:
Level 87
No, I'm 99% positive that Stencyl allows fan games to be uploaded. Source, Irock? Also, as Irock said, Stencyl does not provide fan game kits. Polyhedron Designs does. And yes, games made with these kits are allowed to be uploaded.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
so stencyl doesnt provide kits it just gives you the program does this mean no RTP. hmm intresting that ought to stop the fan games slightly but with the kits thell be back.

EDIT: irocks making a fangame:

http://forums.stencyl.com/showthread.php?tid=4323

Brick Block is greatly inspired by the mini-game Tower Tennis from WarioWare Smooth Moves

Thanks a bunch, but I didn't come up with the color idea. I got it from Tower Tennis. I feel a big ashamed. ._.'
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 10:55:33 AM by anchovy »

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
You of all people should know that the Stencyl Team isn't working on the kits. The Polyhedron Design team is, and they are in no way affiliated with Stencyl. You know, you ARE still part of the Polyhedron Design team.

How is it not affiliated with Stencyl? It's on the same damn site.

Rep:
Level 87
Affiliated may not have been the best word there. They're affiliated, yes, but PD is not actually a part of Stencyl. They're an unofficial group of game makers, led by Jesse/XMegaDragon. They used to be. When Jon started moving Stencyl away from fan games and made Stencyl a company, he kept PD's place on the forums, but they're no longer officially a part of the company.

so stencyl doesnt provide kits it just gives you the program does this mean no RTP. hmm intresting that ought to stop the fan games slightly but with the kits thell be back.
Wow. I knew that my clarity was cursed, but I didn't know that it was this bad. I said, Stencyl does supply genre kits, but it does not supply fan kits. PD does that.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 02:46:54 AM by RMXPokemaniac »

Rep:
Level 102
No, I'm 99% positive that Stencyl allows fan games to be uploaded. Source, Irock?
Stephen's first post on this page.

does this mean no RTP.
Read this.

LOOK LOL!!!! I FOUND A SUPER SECRET POST IROCK MADE AND WAS TRYING TO HIDE FROM US!!!! HE SAIDZ HE WOULDNT MAKE A FAN GAME BUT IDK WHERE LULZ!!!!!!!!!! OMG HAXZZ http://forums.stencyl.com/showthread.php?tid=4323  !

!!!!df

UR BUSTED lijl 101 l0l

IM A STUPID PENIS IDIOT
I never said I wasn't making a fan game. Besides, this doesn't even classify as one. The game will be a lot different from the game it was inspired by. A game with jumping and shooting isn't necessarily a Mario fangame. =x

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
I never said I wasn't making a fan game. Besides, this doesn't even classify as one. The game will be a lot different from the game it was inspired by. A game with jumping and shooting isn't necessarily a Mario fangame. =x

Mario doesn't shoot, I think the copyright you were looking for was Megaman.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Affiliated may not have been the best word there. They're affiliated, yes, but PD is not actually a part of Stencyl. They're an unofficial group of game makers, led by Jesse/XMegaDragon. They used to be. When Jon started moving Stencyl away from fan games and made Stencyl a company, he kept PD's place on the forums, but they're no longer officially a part of the company.

Stencyl only did that to save their asses in case Nintendo/Capcom/etc threw a lawsuit in their direction. It has no bearing on how Stencyl's only been demonstrated to create fan games, and how the kits that will be included with Stencyl are building blocks for fan games. If Stencyl's aim is to avoid being primarily for fan games, they're doing a really bad job at it.

Rep:
Level 102

Mario doesn't shoot, I think the copyright you were looking for was Megaman.
He shoots fireballs out of his hands.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
No, I'm 99% positive that Stencyl allows fan games to be uploaded. Source, Irock?
Stephen's first post on this page.

does this mean no RTP.
Read this.

LOOK LOL!!!! I FOUND A SUPER SECRET POST IROCK MADE AND WAS TRYING TO HIDE FROM US!!!! HE SAIDZ HE WOULDNT MAKE A FAN GAME BUT IDK WHERE LULZ!!!!!!!!!! OMG HAXZZ http://forums.stencyl.com/showthread.php?tid=4323  !

!!!!df

UR BUSTED lijl 101 l0l

IM A STUPID PENIS IDIOT

avoid making quotes up its against the law and counted as identity theft :D.

The fact that an idea within a game led you to make a game means that your game is a fan game you saw something you liked and wanted to imitate it.

Clam down btw.

pokeball Sx2OfflineMale
Rep:
Level 85
UltimaKirby
...I wonder if there's gonna be a Kirby snippet
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Kirby Player
Brawl Code - 1375-6864-5199
PM to Brawl me