RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The Healer

Rep:
Level 87
Project of the Month winner for January 2008Project of the Month winner for July 2007

Author's Note:

I've finally started working on this project again. For those of you who don't know me, this is my main project. The first project that I posted here was The Search for Thomas. I am happy to announce that I have a cohesive demo out now with about a half an hour of gameplay. I got a little lazy with two of the shops so they're just empty rooms right now but the characters in those rooms serve their purpose so that you can advance in the game. Well, I hope you enjoy the little demo and I'm hoping to keep things moving with this project.

NEW DEMO
This demo includes a save file for those of you who have played the first one. To use the save file, copy/paste it from the save folder into the main project folder. Please note that none of the npcs from the temple scene have dialogue yet.

Spoiler for Credits:
Alexia - writing, eventing, recoloring, mapping

Graphics

badmonur(title)
Hydrolic(editing char)
Green Raven(editing char)
Ccoa(recolor/tileset add-ons)
Rye(tileset add-ons)
Mea(animations)
Joy(object charset)
Tana(charset/tileset)
Strawberry Quartz(charset/animations)
lunarea(char pose)
gamerage(autotile)

Scripts
sandgolem
DerVVulfman
Yeyinde
Linkin_T
Caldaron
Blizzard
Sephiroth Spawn
Raziel
Paradog
Parasite

Music/Sounds
Hiroshi Watanabe aka Blue Piano Man
5th Ave
Hannya
Partners in Rhyme
A1 Radio Sounds
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 06:37:05 AM by modern algebra »

Thanks, Lunarea!

Rep:
Level 87
Code Geass = Best show EVER XD
Project of the Month winner for May 2008
Your games always look so awsome :D

I loved all is not lost btw, unfortunatly, I never tried search for tomas yet. I've tried the healer when you first had an demo out, and it's so nice to see you working on it again. You have my support, and I'll give you feed back on the demo as soon as I wake up XD

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
This looks excellent alexia. I am quite impressed. I am going to download the demo and I will give you my impression once I finish it. Also, thanks for PMing me, it saves me some time :)

Rep:
Level 87
Project of the Month winner for January 2008Project of the Month winner for July 2007
Thanks for taking the time to look at this thread and I hope you both enjoy the demo.

@monkeydlu: There's not a lot of new content but all the events are tied together now for a more immersive experience. There are a total of two quests, two puzzles, one dungeon and one boss.

Thanks, Lunarea!

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
I haven't gotten through the whole demo, mainly because i'm stuck on the boss ^^, i guess i better go and kill it now :P
But so far what i can tell this is one of the best ones out there.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Rep:
Level 87
I played for about half an hour, I really like the story telling. I'm enjoying this very much. I'll tell you when I've finished the whole thing :D

Rep:
Level 87
Thanks for the update. ;D I hope you enjoy the rest of it.

@ Ruzu: You're almost at the end of the demo. I'm still balancing battles and whatnot and I also have to give Cece some skills. That should help with the boss battle in the next installment.

Thanks, Lunarea!

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Nice topic. ;D
This game seems very nice, so I'll try to play it ASAP.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
That was great! I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I spent a little too much time on the nectar, as I kind of overcomplicated things, but all in all I really liked it, especially the dialogue and the characters. The spider boss was not too hard as he is, though that one skill is pretty powerful. But, with the abundance of healing items in the game, I think that it was a pretty balanced fight. Anyway, I liked it a lot and I am looking forward to the next demo.

Oh, and there was an error in the mining area that allowed you to run over one of the cliffs and run around in a pretty barren looking place. I can screenshot it if you need me to. It was near the entrance, and it was on a lower right corner of one of the cliffs.

Rep:
Level 87
Mediafire won't let me download the file(always page not found), could someone upload a mirror?

Rep:
Level 87
@ modern algebra: I'm glad that you enjoyed the demo.  Thanks for pointing out the mapping area in the downs - I would have never found it on my own. It was the yellow flower that messed up the priorities - anyway, it's fixed now and will be uploaded with the next release. Is it too difficult to find the nectar?

Spoiler for nectar:
Is it too confusing to have the water from the reflective pool serve two purposes?

@ pathbinder: Sorry you can't download the demo. I'll see what I can do about that but it won't be any time too soon.

Thanks, Lunarea!

Rep:
Level 87
I'll see what I can do about that but it won't be any time too soon.

That's okay, I can wait.

Rep:
Level 87
All right. I've uploaded it to savefile so hopefully this link will work for you. http://savefile.com/projects/808585036

Note: this demo is exactly the same as the one on media fire. All the bugs that have been mentioned still exist in this demo.

Thanks, Lunarea!

Rep:
Level 87
It's downloading now, thanks. I'm going to comment when I'm done playing.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 09:05:20 AM by Pathbinder »

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, that's what confused me: I figured I was done with it once I did the first thing. But, I think it is actually a good thing.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
It's great, it's just that spider's vixen special technique "Sword Assault" or whatever its called. Thats the problem. It does up to 90 - 100 damage so far. But then again i'm lvl 3, but i'm gonna go lvl grinding right now. Just throwing that peice in. Still a great game  ;D
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

Rep:
Level 87
I wanted to lull the player into a false sense of security before handing them a devastating blow. I recommend that the players be around level 5 to fight the boss.

Thanks, Lunarea!

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
lol alright, i'm just going to ask this while i'm here at the moment.

Are you going to have random encounters or are we going to have to pass by certain spots(Like the spider web) to engage in a battle?

Rep:
Level 87
It'll be a mix of spot encounters and visible enemies. I can't stand random encounters.

Thanks, Lunarea!

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Alright.
  Finally beat the demo, it's pretty sad after the spider vixen. I would love to say i lost to the elder but i didn't lol, but how you ended the demo was kinda mean lol. Looking forward to this being finished ^^

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Uhm, where the hell is Zayn?

Edit: Nevermind, I found him.  :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:45:53 PM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 87
Sorry for ending the demo so abruptly but hopefully it has whetted your appetite for more! The scene on the cliff, although a little sad,  is supposed to foreshadow later events.

Thanks, Lunarea!

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
lol i'm sure, i can kind of guess whats going to happen but i'll wait and see  :lol:
I was kidding about how the demo ended a bit also, i lol'd irl. Looking forward to this being done
good luck Alexia.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Congratz on Project of the Month!

Rep:
Level 97
Congratulations on your second Project of the Month award alexia. Excellent work.

Also, I forgot to mention this, but the scene with that musician (Jax?) was funny. Nice work  :lol:

Rep:
Level 87
Yay! It's great to be nominated again.

Jax will play a bigger part later in the game. You'll just have to wait and see how.

Thanks, Lunarea!

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Congratulations on winning project of the month Alexia.  ;8

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
Yeah, as everyone else says, good goin' on the award.  I was likin' the look of the game even beforehand. ;)

Rep:
Level 87
Congrats on being Project of the Month!  ;8

Rep:
Level 86
Deviant Designer
Nice mapping, and window skin. I am downloading now.
Great job on winning POTM twice. :) Keep up the good work.

Rep:
Level 88
Congratulations on winning Project of the Month! I’m glad we have such a thing, because it was what drew my attention to your game. I am slightly disappointed, however, that hardly any of the people who congratulated you took the time to say much more about your game. I, for one, value feedback, so I can’t help but feel the need to give you my opinion on your game, considering I took the time to play it. So let’s see, where to begin...?

First off, the mapping in this game is downright beautiful. It’s some of the best I’ve seen. You’re really good at flushing out all the details of the maps, particularly the outdoor ones. The town of Bella was absolutely stunning. This is the sort of project that makes me feel seriously self-conscious about my own mapping. Meh, that’s why I focus mainly on the story anyway. And speaking of storytelling, “The Healer” really has a unique feel to it. The games plays out like any RPG would, but the cut-scenes read like an interactive storybook. It was cleaver to include the subtle descriptions of the characters’ actions and expressions within the dialogue boxes, as it adds a layer of depth to the characters. Not any game can pull this off, but it really feels appropriate in “The Healer.” In fact, I think it compliments the game. The same goes for the emotion animations that you make frequent use of...they really help the player understand what any given character is feeling, even without spoken dialogue. Considering you don’t use face-graphics in the dialogue boxes, this goes a long way.

There wasn’t a whole lot I disliked about the game. It was on the short side, but that’s not unusual for a demo. I did feel disappointed when I reached the end, but that’s only because I was ready for more. I was a little let down by the boss battle, but I think that’s mostly because none of my characters could damage the boss using normal techniques. I had to rely solely on skills to win, which is an iffy battle strategy at best. I don’t know if I was at the “proper” level when fighting the boss, and if I was at a higher level then perhaps I would not have run into that problem. With that said, I would not recommend that bosses be immune to standard attacks. Also, I think the Professor’s skill costs where just slightly too high. Slightly. Granted, they were powerful, so I guess that balances out. And while I’m on the subject of the battle system, let me say that I loved it. It was a lot of fun, and it ran very smoothly. I wish there were more enemies than just spiders, however.

The story is interesting, but I get the feeling that I have a little while to go before I can get the general idea of what it’s going to be about. The demo lacks any large-scale conflict, but at this point in the game that’s probably a good thing. In fact, I’m glad you didn’t rush into the main story too soon. I’ll be eagerly awaiting the next update to find out what happens. I would also like to compliment you on the enormous risk you took. Very few game are centered around a main character that is a healer, and I found that to be very intriguing. So far, she doesn’t appear to fall into any major cliches of her archetype, which is good. It’s hard to judge at this point whether you pull it off successfully or not, but if you continue to work at it I don’t foresee that being a problem.

All in all, this is a very solid demo, and it gets my highest of recommendations. Incredible mapping, a great battle system, and an orginal take on the RPG make this a game worth checking into. This is very deserving of the Project of the Month title it received. Good work. Keep it up.
Spoiler for My Game Recommendations:
1) Demon Gate --- A great game with a terrific character-relationship system, an engaging story, and plenty of secrets and options for players who wish to be good/evil.
http://www.raizap.com/demongate/

2) Midnight --- A survival-horror game created with RPG Maker XP. Combat plays out in the smoothest running real-time battle system I have seen yet.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,23239.0.html

3) The Healer --- A charming game with beautiful mapping and a fun battle system. One of the few games to use a healer as a main character, and so far it's pulled off well.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,23524.0.html

Rep:
Level 87
Erk64, thank you so much for providing such detailed feedback! I really do appreciate it. It's what helps me determine what I am doing right and what I need to improve or change.

Depending on the direction this game takes, I might invest in purchasing face sets for the main characters. But that's not a priority right now. I know my battles need tweaking, as far as the boss goes, and that is something I'll go back and work on. I'm happy to say that I have just completed the second dungeon, though it's smaller in scale compared to Caspavum Caves. Here's a little sneak peak at the dungeon:

It still needs some fine-tuning but the basic layout is done. The approach to this dungeon is also different. The character is given the choice of two paths: Path of the Mighty and Path of the Fleet. The names of the paths should give you enough of a hint as to what you would encounter in each path.

This project is focused on character development and therefore you will not encounter any large-scale conflict. Nobody is saving the world here. There still will be conflict but there isn't one archenemy or anything like that.

In addition to the second dungeon, I've also completed a major cutscene in which Aria officially becomes the Healer. The game turns a bit serious here but quickly goes back to a more lighthearted tone. The next demo will be released once I tie this event to the next major one.

**EDIT**
New Updated Demo!!!

NEW DEMO
This demo includes a save file for those of you who have played the first one. To use the save file, copy/paste it from the save folder into the main project folder. Please note that none of the npcs from the temple scene have dialogue yet.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 12:48:40 AM by alexia »

Thanks, Lunarea!

Rep:
Level 86
Very nice.  Keep up the good work!

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
(That dungeon is almost like an optical illusion! At first I thought I had the shape all figured out as it's just a twirl from the center, but when I traced it from start to end it ended up being a different thing! D: *is quite amused by it*)

Rep:
Level 87
You know, now that you mention it...you're right. It's funny because I had envisioned this swirly like thing a few months ago and it took me this long to map it. Originally I had wanted both paths to lead to the same place but I was having difficulty figuring out how to accomplish that while still obeying the laws of physics. Damn physics.

Thanks, Lunarea!

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
How's the game coming?

BTW, I wouldn't advise using facesets for the characters if you're planning of showing the text above the characters. It usually doesn't work quite right.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 01:09:56 PM by Zylos »

Rep:
Level 87
Progress has slowed down again.

If I were to use facesets, I wouldn't have the text above the player - but that would only be during certain cutscenes. Right now, however, that's the least of my concerns. The next thing I need to work on is my sewer dungeon. I finished the plank system so I need to finish mapping and tweaking enemies. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about weapons. I only want aria and zayn to have the slingshot and boomerang in the beginning of the game. Afterward, they'll develop an affinity for one weapon type. However, this will not work for Aria, since certain circumstances will have her using different weapon types throughout the game.

Thanks, Lunarea!

Rep:
Level 87
Actually, it's not that bad if you did use face sets with the text above the player. Have you ever tried "nocturne"?

but it does depend on your style.

either way, good luck, your work is amazing, so don't give up :D

Rep:
Level 88
Personally, I think the game is fantastic without the facesets, but that's just my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't go through a whole lot of trouble to add them in, because I think you do an amazing job with characterization in their absence.
Spoiler for My Game Recommendations:
1) Demon Gate --- A great game with a terrific character-relationship system, an engaging story, and plenty of secrets and options for players who wish to be good/evil.
http://www.raizap.com/demongate/

2) Midnight --- A survival-horror game created with RPG Maker XP. Combat plays out in the smoothest running real-time battle system I have seen yet.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,23239.0.html

3) The Healer --- A charming game with beautiful mapping and a fun battle system. One of the few games to use a healer as a main character, and so far it's pulled off well.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,23524.0.html

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Personally, I think the game is fantastic without the facesets, but that's just my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't go through a whole lot of trouble to add them in, because I think you do an amazing job with characterization in their absence.

True, that. The game has a strangely simple but captivating way of telling it's story, and that's the most important aspect of any game. Good work so far, Alexia!

Rep:
Level 97
I feel sorry unstickying this  ;9

Such is life.

EDIT:: And wow, I hadn't even noticed the new demo.

*downloads

Rep:
Level 87
Still dunno about the facesets but I'm going to leave everything as is for now. Right now progress has halted again and I'll pick up the project once I feel motivated but until then . . . you'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks, Lunarea!

Rep:
Level 86
I love to test games, so I downloaded it, and I'll let you know my personal opinion on it quite soon.

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
All whom sprite shall be gifted in the end...
Great game! ;D

Rep:
Level 86
I've finally had the time to complete your demo fully and I have to say the demo itself really gives the player a feeling it is one of the best rpg maker games.

The mapping is superior compared to most. I can see clearly you must have spent a lot of time and effort to create the mapping and it’s beautiful. Bellea fits perfectly with the environment. Most RPG maker games fail to show any emotion without text, but I could see the general emotion of each character well with the animations you used. If you have any bugs or some odd mapping, I sure didn’t notice.

I enjoyed both your dungeons so far and thought the battles they had gave the game the final element it needed.

I would like to congratulate you so far on the healer and I’m looking forward to see more of your work.

As for the facesets you could try and do a few tests on a blank project and from there decided if you like it or not. I personally see no problem of not having facesets.

Rep:
Level 87
Thank you so much for the nice comments. I've really grown attached to these characters and it's funny how sometimes I think about how they would react in certain situations. They really have come into their own, so-to-speak. I'm not sure where my motivation went, but once I get the sewer dungeon completed I'll upload a newer demo. But I can't give an eta on that because I haven't touched the project in over a month. Hopefully this drought will end soon. Thanks again for the uplifting comments. It helps to know that there are those waiting to see this project completed.

Thanks, Lunarea!

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Hopefully your motivation will come back soon. Until then, I'll just look forward to the next demo.

Rep:
Level 85
umm i tried the demo but
i cant see the text when they are talking  ???
How many times have you watched me fall just to smile, I've been through thick and thin we've struggled through now we smile, so we're here now just be ready, brace yourself cause were not leaving.

Rep:
Level 86
The demo comes with a "font" folder. Inside copy and paste the given fonts into FONTS in Control Panel.

Rep:
Level 85
 ???....i see the folder but  dont get what your saying.
How many times have you watched me fall just to smile, I've been through thick and thin we've struggled through now we smile, so we're here now just be ready, brace yourself cause were not leaving.

Rep:
Level 86
First go to control panel on your computer. That is where you add/remove programs and such. There is a fonts folder in that section amongst all the other folders(not hard to find) and copy and paste the fonts given from "The Healer" folder into the FONTS folder in control panel.
That is what I have done and voila!

So:
1- press start
2- click on control panel
3- click on fonts folder
4- paste fonts into font folder
*this is after you have gone into "The Healer" font folder and copied the fonts by right clicking on the mouse.*

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
hey guys! i'd really love to play through the whole game but i'm kinda stuck in the very beginning, i need some help cause i've already wasted too much time trying to figure it out on my own xD , well let's just start:

i'm stuck in the village cave to the east. i just can't find the nectar for the left statue in order to turn it. where is it? i think i've missed something pretty obvious and i'm sorry for bothering you guys...^^'

Rep:
Level 85
for the nectar : 
Spoiler for:
did you get one of the vases? fill it with water from the fountain thingy

for the fruit:
Spoiler for:
talk to the fairy 2 times, fill the vase with water again and give it to the fairy.

hope that helps ! ;D

well i've already filled it with water to get the fruit but how am i supposed to get the nectar that way? o.O

Rep:
Level 85
fill it with water and give it to the statue

god...thanks a lot for your help! seriously i didnt think i just had to do that -.-* now i kinda feel stupid about it xD , you really helped me out =)