RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Midnight - Enter the Survival Horror (DEMO + Teaser Trailer)

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
Sadly I haven't been playing lately, but I'll start playing again tommorow.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
heh, this looks sweet
makes me want to get back with my friends and work on our mindfuck of a game >.>
I'll be sure to dl this one when it's finished

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
UPDATE!

Well, no, not really. But I made a short teaser to hopefully entice more people to come on in and take a glance.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HOLPAU7D

Tell me what you guys think.

PS. lol I just noticed that someone went through this thread and replaced the word "c-o-r-n-y" with "SAUSAGEy".
Methinks there be a mod on here who likes sausages  :tpg:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 02:53:54 AM by Zylos »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
No, no mod has done it. My guess is Irock decided that c-orn
should be replaced with SAUSAGE in every instance. It is no longer possible to post on this forum
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 10:18:07 PM by modern algebra »

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Irock must have a SAUSAGE fetish. Perhaps he just likes his SAUSAGE-on-the-cob a little too much, or maybe he's strangely proud of the fact that he has a painful SAUSAGE on his foot. He probably goes to movie theaters and asks for a large bucket of popSAUSAGE, then complains about the movie's SAUSAGEy dialogue. He just has SAUSAGE on his mind.

Also, I updated the teaser trailer because I found a bug in the first version. Use the link in the first post.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:00:40 PM by Zylos »

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
I can see why, we should mob the one responsible.  ;8
Also i forgot to check out the Teaser thingy ^_^ on that now.

<Edit>

After watching the teaser I want to play this even more! lol, nice teaser :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 10:16:10 PM by Ruzu »
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
What's with the trailer video?  I only get an unopenable .exe.
I'm on my mac at college though, will that be the problem or am i missin' somethin'?  If it's just the mac that's corning it up then i'll check it when i get home tonight....

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Can't play it? Hm, are you able to play any other RMXP downloads or are you just having a problem with mine?

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
It's just the teaser video i was tryin' for, i'm too busy to play the game just now (says as he ignores college work) but i thought i'd watch the teaser.  I tried mine and it worked fine, downloaded it as a wmv, played it on this mac, saved and all (but mine was 2k3...would that really make a difference to the video though?) but when i downloaded yours it came out as a .exe and won't let me play it at all....

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
...um, do you realize that it's not a video but rather an RMXP game.exe?

Rep:
Level 88
Interesting trailer. That woman in white at the very end looked very suspicious...I wonder who she is? Guess I'll have to wait and find out. Nice job, as always.
Spoiler for My Game Recommendations:
1) Demon Gate --- A great game with a terrific character-relationship system, an engaging story, and plenty of secrets and options for players who wish to be good/evil.
http://www.raizap.com/demongate/

2) Midnight --- A survival-horror game created with RPG Maker XP. Combat plays out in the smoothest running real-time battle system I have seen yet.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,23239.0.html

3) The Healer --- A charming game with beautiful mapping and a fun battle system. One of the few games to use a healer as a main character, and so far it's pulled off well.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,23524.0.html

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
the trailer was so short ;-;

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
It's a teaser trailer, not a real trailer. It's like one of those 30 second trailers that movies put out a year before the film does because they lack enough material to make a real trailer. Thankfully you won't have to wait a year for mine.

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
The teaser was the game itself?  That'll be why i couldn't view it on my mac at college.  I'll check it later on my computer and it should work then.

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Alright, here's my thoughts on the demo.

You did a great job on the atmosphere, it all comes together well to make the player keep on his toes. Puzzles were also good. I do suggest you put hints though, it took me a while to find where the books were meant to go.

That said, I was horribly disappointed on the battles, it's too easy to die, you get trapped in the corner and it's over, you should be able to dive or something. In addition, the gun was poorly thought out, a small room is suicide, I got tired of running away, and stopping to find I turned the wrong way, and I can fight. The menu should also be on a separate key, I kept opening the damn item menu when I wanted to fire.

I suggest giving: An extra health, different weapons (primarily a shotgun so you don't have to be directly in front of your opponents), moving with a gun (slower though), and being able to turn when you take out your gun.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Finally, someone with some constructive criticisms. BTW, there are hints, but they weren't in the demo. Sorry!

I can easily add another level of health or two. Adding a shotgun might be difficult, but I can probably manage it. I can also add the ability to turn while you're equiped with the gun, but I refuse to let the player move anywhere with it. The whole point to drawing the gun is to get the player to react fast on when to pull it out (and fight) and when to put it away (and run away). Lol, yeah I had problems with the item button too, so I already reset it to another key.

Thanks for your input, Falcon.

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Even though they're weren't hints, everything was pretty much easy to figure out, the clock and the books were the only things which gave me trouble, you should do something to mark anything of importance. It's all Legend of Zelda like issues, you just don't know what to do, but the answer is very obvious.

I'd also suggest making a room where you can find all the people, from a story perspective, it doesn't make sense for unarmed people to run around with zombies are out, but you seem to far to throw that in.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
All the hints are given in the form of journals and diaries. Most of it will just give you some insight to daily life on the island and what happened on Devil's Island before you (the player) came on the scene, but there will also be some small hints that put emphasis on a nearby puzzle and sometimes even show you how to solve it.

You are able to meet the others outside in the courtyard (again, not in the demo), but only after you find all of them.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member
finishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthi sfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishth isfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinisht hisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinish thisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinis hthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfini shthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfin ishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfi nishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthisfinishthis
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I'M WORKING ON IT! Sheesh Anski, these things take time.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
I have a question. Why is this image pointing to 11:07ish, when the game is called "midnight"?

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
It was the best image I could find of a mechanical clock that could signify that time was running out.

Wait, I just realized...I never explained why the game was called "Midnight", did I?

Spoiler for:
One of the major plot points is that something terrible happens at exactly midnight and you have to try to escape the island before it happens. As it draws closer and closer to midnight, tension will start rising and the choices you make will start becomming more and more critical.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Wait, i might've over looked this. but does this happen all in one night lol?

also i was playing again, was someone trying to drink that wine?
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
I still have't ahd a chance to play this yet.  I can only get online in college and i can't download it here.....damnit.....  :(

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
@Ruzu- The entire course of the game (that you play) happens in only one night. It's that way for most survival horror games, so it shouldn't be that surprising. And no, no one was trying to drink that wine. I should probably change that event description.

@Brady- If internet access is a problem, you could always try downloading it from a public computer from like a local library or something and then transfer it to your computer via flashdrive or something.