RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Midnight - Enter the Survival Horror (DEMO + Teaser Trailer)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
The rolling balls of death took me 2 trys lol

:lol:

You made me giggle.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
lol, you actually got the joke XP. i was being serious but i had to try that XD A.K.A (Serious Joke)

Oh a question, in the full game -

1) How much Ammo do we have before we reload
2) Will we be able to hold catridges(However it's spelled)
3) Will we get new guns, i belive it's john who had a shotgun.

Just curious.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
The answers:

1) 15. However, I'm still working out a reload button, so right now you don't have to worry about reloading as long as you have some bullets left. You'll find them scattered throughout the mansion and from fallen monsters.
2) I don't quite understand what you mean by holding cartridges. If you mean carry around the bullets as an item, then the answer is no. There'll be a display of how many bullets you have left under your HUD.
3) Right now, you only get the one handgun. However you will be able to upgrade your handgun to better versions that deal more damage and have a higher chance of blowing up an enemy head.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to work on my game as often as I'd like since I'll be heading home for the holidays tonight. My house only has one computer, and my twin is usually on it more often than I am. But don't worry! I promise some sort of update soon anyways, even if I have to throw my brother off the computer by force. So...

So long, and hopefully I'll be back tomorrow without having to murder my brother!

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Alright, lol looking forward to your return.
Well you answered my question(2), i actually ment it like - A resident evil 4 thing, where you have a box of ammo and carry it around. But your way is better  :D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:29:30 PM by Ruzu »
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

Rep:
Level 88
Okay, I just finished playing through the game. It took me half an hour, but that's partly because I couldn't remember where the broken grandfather clock was. Anyway, I think you're really onto something great here. This game has one of the best real-time combat systems I have seen. It's extremely fluid and user-friendly. The game wasn't really scary, in my opinion, but I definitely want to play more. I love how you would return to old rooms and encounter new enemies that weren't there before. There is a very Resident Evil feel to this game; lots of stuff reminds me of the original RE. Your health display, the way you are asked if you want to pick up every item, and...well, the zombies of course.

The things you really did well: (1) Combat. Magnificent. I would like to see some more challenging enemies later on in the game, however. (2) The ball-and-spike puzzle thing was amazing. I only barely dodged that first ball, but I ended up dying soon after. It was very well put together. (3) The lighting effects in the basement. Very eerie...it really helped establish the mood. The painting that watches you was great too.

Things that could be improved: (1) A way to exit the game, although someone already brought this up. (2) The creaking doors get a little annoying after awhile. Might I suggest only playing the sound during cut-scenes and when you can actually see the door swinging open? But it's your call. (3) The dialogue. It was a bit awkard at times...no one seemed overly concerned about finding the dead body in the wolf room, and if they couldn't get out the front door, then how did they know the boat had sunk? Other than that I didn't have a problem with it.

All in all, a very worthwhile game, even if it's a bit on the short side, even for a demo. I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop. Keep it up.
Spoiler for My Game Recommendations:
1) Demon Gate --- A great game with a terrific character-relationship system, an engaging story, and plenty of secrets and options for players who wish to be good/evil.
http://www.raizap.com/demongate/

2) Midnight --- A survival-horror game created with RPG Maker XP. Combat plays out in the smoothest running real-time battle system I have seen yet.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,23239.0.html

3) The Healer --- A charming game with beautiful mapping and a fun battle system. One of the few games to use a healer as a main character, and so far it's pulled off well.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,23524.0.html

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I'm back! My brother isn't coming home until thursday, so I have the computer mostly to myself until then.  :D

In reply to Erk64's comments, there are tougher enemies than zombies. As the game progresses, you'll notice that corpses will start returning to life (the one in the demo was toned down a bit), dogs will become more frequent, and newer enemies will start appearing, such as the Bandersnatch (the green monster in one of the cutscenes, I won't say any more for those who haven't seen that scene yet), and some others I haven't named yet.

I will add a shutdown button, but right now that's pretty low priority on my list of things to add.

Yes, that creak can be annoying, but it doesn't feel right without it. The most I can do lower the volume of that.

One thing you'll notice about ALL games is that they tend to have corny dialogues that occational don't make sense. But I'll see what I can do to make it a bit less awkard without ruining what I already have. It's a bit difficult to do since there are many different dialogue paths (for example, if say you head upstairs and trigger another cutscene first, the cutscene in the wolf room would then refer to that cutscene upstairs), but I'll work it out.

I'll post a real update soon. For now, I need to get some sleep. I've been on a train for nearly 12 hours now, and the only thing I want to see is my pillow. Later!

Wandering Artist
Rep:
Level 86
You got a problem? Fix by yourself.
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
You know what? I can't believed I screamed in front of my computer. My parents must have think of me a weirdo.
I luv your games! can't wait to see more of those creepies~XD

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
UPDATE!

I have now finished the mode 7 scene. All I need to do is find that good motorcycle sprite I saw a few months back, so once I find that I should be able to start work on the remaining maps. I have also added three more characters, but as they are all plot related I will not disclose details.

I have also taken all comments into consideration and made numerous edits to what I already have done. The doorcreak is less annoying, the dialogue is still corny sounding but is at least consistant, there are more zombies but they are in places you won't expect to find them (be wary of windows, paintings, suits of armor, cracks in the wall, and most importantly, be aware of what's behind a door before you open it...boo), there are now enemies added that can instantly kill you by decapitation, and I am currently working on a second set of buttons (one to reload, one to change directions while your gun is equiped, and one that will allow you to shutdown or return to the title).

It's actually a smaller update than it sounds, but it's an update nonetheless!

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
ooooh one hitters, i'm gonna have to get ready to run like a little baby then  ;9 also great updates looking forward to this even more, also Poor emidy  ;8

Also!!!!!!! Those lines WERE NOT CORNY! i enjoyed them but everyone else will kinda or maybe agree  ;8

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Well, some people thought the lines were corny. I won't change much of the dialogue, only enough to make it seem more real and consistent.

On a side note, I seem to be getting mixed replys as to how scary the game is. Some people seem to think that it's not scary enough while others think it's already too scary.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
lol, well then i guess you should keep it as scary as you had it before. I also know some people thought the lines were corny, just saying my opinion.

If you make it to scary for others i don't think you'll get as much play as you would if it was original way. I would still play no matter what  :D now, back to waiting for you to finish this lol.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
UPDATE!

Probably the last one for a little while, as my brother comes back today.  ;9

Anyway, I've made a good number of new maps to explore, including the graveyard and the laboratory. Still need to add the enemies to them, but that should be easy enough. I wonder how many people will freak out in the graveyard when zombies can suddenly grab you from the ground?

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Needs a Machette.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Wandering Artist
Rep:
Level 86
You got a problem? Fix by yourself.
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
What?! Zombies from the ground! Uh...I'll be fine...I'll be fine...
Scary or not, they're surprising for sure. I guess that's how a horror game should be.
(PS. You'll make a good horror movie director.)

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Emidy, i don't think we want him directing movies, he might really unleash his creative sides.  :o

Zombies from the ground makes me think of resident evil for some reason...

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Actually I'm a college student with a Film/Video major, so you never know what the future holds for me, Emidy.

Rep:
Level 88
Actually I'm a college student with a Film/Video major, so you never know what the future holds for me, Emidy.
Seriously? So am I! It's a tough major, so I wish you the best of luck.

Anyway, I would like to clarify what I said before. I never really meant to imply that the dialogue was corny. In fact, it is very well written. However, I did find that in one or two places the dialogue didn't seem perfectly natural; there were places where the dialogue seemed to move too quickly and jump from one topic to another. I guess that's to be expected, however, considering it is a game.

I think the new additons sound fantastic. The zombies that can grab you from the ground sound great...I can't wait to see it in action. Has the demo been updated with these new freatures? I'm really looking forward to playing.
Spoiler for My Game Recommendations:
1) Demon Gate --- A great game with a terrific character-relationship system, an engaging story, and plenty of secrets and options for players who wish to be good/evil.
http://www.raizap.com/demongate/

2) Midnight --- A survival-horror game created with RPG Maker XP. Combat plays out in the smoothest running real-time battle system I have seen yet.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,23239.0.html

3) The Healer --- A charming game with beautiful mapping and a fun battle system. One of the few games to use a healer as a main character, and so far it's pulled off well.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,23524.0.html

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
I got stuck.  :-[

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Where are you stuck? o_O

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Well, I've got the heart medallion and club medallion, and I've opened up the basement, but it seems like the only place to go is in circles.  :tpg:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I'm back!

No, the demo itself has not been updated, only the real game. When I'm most of the way through the game, I might make a new demo that allows you to go a little bit further but remove some of the cutscenes so that it doesn't spoil the plot.

Okay, the demo is technically "over" when you've USED the two medallions. You can keep playing if you want to but there's nothing else to do after that. If you're stuck on where to use the medallions, I'll give you this small hint: the Crown Key was originally called the Fountain Key, and someone on the island the has that key. Or should I say HAD that key...

The only thing I've worked on since the last update has been making more zombie sprites out of the RTP characters. BTW, a big thanks to Emidy for making an awesome chase scene sprite for me. I've added a screenshot in the first post of what the scene might look like before I've added some details and obstacles. Once again, thanks Emidy!

Oh, and just a side note to EVA, there is no machete. You do get to have a knife, but you can't use it against the zombies. I originally intended for you to be able to use it as a weapon, but I decided against it since it would mean reworking my battle system to include a melee weapon PLUS having to make some difficult ABS sprites for it. That's like a day or two's work for a weapon that would only be used as a last measure attack anyway, so screw that. Your gun should be enough to get you through the game without too many problems.

Anyway, it's been a hassle trying to be on the computer for more than an hour now that my brother's back, but like I said I'll try to keep you up to date as much as possible. If I don't post by tomorrow, have a merry Christmas everyone!

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Minor Update!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=682FLPDE

This is a test of how mode seven might help my game out. Imagine this: someone has just activated some sort of self-destruct system on Devil's Island and you have only two minutes to escape before everything blows up!

The point of this "minigame" is quite simple: avoid the mines and stay alive for two minutes. It sounds easy, but it isn't.

Remember that this is just a test scene, and don't feel bad if it takes you several tries to beat it. It's very difficult.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 02:18:24 AM by Zylos »

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
Wow Zylos, I normally don't post in the RPG Maker section, but your game looks very interesting.

I will be keeping an eye on this one.

*Enabled Notify, for the first time* :tpg:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Update!

I was able to create some more playable characters that can use guns. But you will only get to play as some of them depending on certain choices you make throughout the game. For example, if you didn't get a key item before entering a part of the game that requires you to have it, you might have to play as another character in order to quickly obtain that item.

There will only be one section that actually requires you to play as another character. All other chances are just optional. But keep in mind that playing as another character is not always a good thing, because sometimes playing as that particular character might bring about that character's death later in the game. Then again, it might save them instead. There will be no way to know if you made a good choice or not until long after you've already made your choice.

I also managed to track down some interesting monster sprites and am now experimenting with bosses. I'm trying to find different ways of killing them besides just whipping out the gun and wasting all your ammo. One of the bosses you'll have to time a trap mechanism carefully in order to temporarily disable the monster, otherwise your bullets won't penetrate its skin. Another boss will require you to actually dodge its attack before it becomes vulnerable, but it will only be vulnerable for a split second so you'd have to be damned fast. It's still a work in progress, but if all goes as planned it should be challenging and fun.

On a side note, no one has said anything about what they thought of the M7 Scene yet. I want your feedback, people!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 03:48:59 AM by Zylos »

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
You want us to die in that crazy place :'(

Nice updates though.