RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[GM] Need help displaying typed text

Rep:
Level 86
I was wondering if someone knew how to display a string of recorded keyboard keys(like chat, or an instant message) on the screen. If you have an example I would love to see it, I'm more of a visual learner.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:42:59 AM by modern algebra »

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I don't know anything about GML, but I found this.

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=338810
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 88
I'm scared of my grandma. Wouldn't you be?
I sent you a PM on this, and I'll try to create an example. And I have a question: Do you use the built in commands in gamemaker with the drag and drop interface or do you use more of coding for your games? Because I use mainly coding, and I don't want to code an example if you use the drag and drop interface.

Rep:
Level 86
I use a bit of both to accomplish different effects, and Fred, I'm getting ready to check out that link.

That is a great example for a chat area, I'm going to try and reconfigure some of it so it will be used as speech balloons for the characters, will probably have to some how limit the amount of text allowed in the balloon. Yeah I read that one of the keyboard strings can hold up to 1024 characters.

Here let me explain a little better of what I was wanting this for:
Let's just say I'm playin' a 1-player game (platform) and use a controller(so the keyboard is not used for game play), I want to be able to type a message and have a balloon type message display it, kinda comic book style messaging I guess. So it moves your ownline up in your own personal chat box, and doesn't move up if another player was to create their own message.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 10:37:16 PM by Lab_Zero »

Rep:
Level 86
Well this was a bit more interesting than I thought. It's a client and server program, but for some reason or other I can't get it to work yet, I changed only the ip address, in like 4 areas, but I can't get the client to log into the server. The server runs like it's functioning ok, but that's all I get. Did you get it to work?