RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[GM] Gravity.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Can sombody make me a diagram of how the gravity works? Maybe even teach me how to use it? I keep putting diffrent numbers in the gravity... thing, and the objects just go flying off the screen. >_>
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:42:54 AM by modern algebra »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 86
Ok, I guess you already know how to send them vertically, so at each "step" you need to check whether you are in the air or on a solid, and if you are in the air then set gravity, gravity is cumulative each step, it just keeps increasing, so after a given amount of time the gravity pulling down becomes more than the upwards(vertical speed) force. So now you will continually fall increasing in speed, so you have to create the opposite action for when you contact the ground. the "ELSE" so that when you contact a solid it will stop gravity (by setting it to 0 at direction 270). and also you have to stop your vertical speed by setting it to 0 also, so that after you hit a solid they both are reset to be used again.

(Note: anything directly after a "check" (the little octagons in actions) is the only thing that the check applies to, if you want more action to be included in the condition of the "check" then enclose them in a start and end block.)

Here is a step to make the character fall but stop at solids:

tried to put notes about what is taking place kind of.
If you copy this exactly it won't funtion due to some notes being after the checks and not specific actions, or group of actions.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 12:15:10 AM by Lab_Zero »

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Thank you. <3

EDIT- I made this. >_>

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 01:42:55 PM by Fred Flintstone »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 86
Hey I tried to download your mario exe but all it is, is a file, was that right?

Rep:
Level 96
Hey I tried to download your mario exe but all it is, is a file, was that right?

I don't know... for me it's an EXE.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 86
I tried again and I think I might know what the problem is, when I download your mario game it gives me a file named INDEX. not a .gmk file(with the hammer in the center of the red circle and the right corner of a page folded down). The file I downloaded from you is like a quick save that will only work if I have the original INDEX.gmk it was saved from. It's a bit confusing, but it's telling me I don't have the program that created it, so I can't open it. Do you have enough to make a stand along demo, just for a quick trial?

Rep:
Level 96
Hmmm...

EDIT- This is what I have so far.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 11:03:59 PM by Fred Flintstone »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 88
I'm scared of my grandma. Wouldn't you be?
Ok, I took a look at what you had so far, and I noticed it being a little blocky in movement and when you jumped. So I made a new Mario object (keeping the old one the way it was) And I put it in the level you had. I enhanced all the collisions and what-not. But I had a few suggestions as well. (see below) So if you have any questions about anything I changed or how to add more to it just ask.

New changes:

• Made a new object for Mario so that you can compare the old and the new one for learning purposes.
  • Added basic variable jumping.
  • Added a debug restart function within object "Mario_Redone".
  • Added Player mask.
  • Smoothed movements.
  • Made have a basic animation.
  • Got rid of getting stuck on blocks, pipes, and ground.
  • Pretty much changed the entire engine to provide a more "Mario-ish" feel but keeping some of the same aspects you already had.

Suggestions:

• Make a "background tileset" and make the level out of that rather then objects. I can help even more if you were to do this.
  • I'm not going to do Super Mario for you at this point in time. You'll never learn if I do everything. But I'll be glad to help if you need it.
  • Consider naming objects and sprites a bt better for orginizational purposes. Grouping things also helps to. ;)

Known Bugs:

• I started on Goombas a bit but I didn't quite finish them.
  • Some Goombas bounce off of objects right and some don't. I can fix this if you follow suggestion #1.
  • For some strange reason, Mario gets stuck on pipes later in the level...the ones in the beginning are fine...I couldn't figure this part out.

-  J-Crew