RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[TUTORIAL]Creating a Snow Storm!

Rep:
Level 86
Apricot bites? Waffo!
Second tutorial from Yaso!

And in this one, we're looking aaaat..

CREATING A WINDY SNOW STORM!

I think it was after reading this one request that I thought about making this... Well it's here. Snow storms! A little over looked, but they can make for pretty disaster scenes, right?

-A snowy place...
Here, I've made a kind of... ridge place with the snowy planes tileset.

Yey for random snowmen!

-Adding some snow
Adding the snow on the highest setting looks like this.

It's snowing, yeah, but it's not much of a storm, huh.

-Creating the winds!
Fog is really important when you make storm scenes, as it turns out.
When it comes to making a snowstorm, making the fog move creates the appearance of winds.

Speed X and Speed Y will move the fog. The speed amounts are adjusted from -256 to 256. The amount of 0 is stationary, and your fog will stay still.
- Y co-ordinate will move the fog up or down.
- X co-ordinate will move it left or right.
- Both will move the fog in a diagonal direction.

Remember to play with the opactity and the blending to make your snow storm thicker or thinner.

-Adding a colored fog
There's an option similar to tint screen, that will tint your fog to a certain hue. Tint fog.

It works just like tint screen, I've tinted it above the normal colors. I think this makes the fog.. uh, prettier? Or something. I'm not sure, but it's useful.

-Adding in the snow
Now if we add the snow back, we can see that it looks a lttle more like something's happening!
More than just some snow.

Woo, spriting error. I'll have to fix that up.

-Sound effects and other
Since there's no snow storm sound effect, using the wind sound effect seems to work fine.
I also used an event to change the character's walking speed against the wind direction, just to make things hard for the player. Speed 2 is about right for it.

I recently discovered the horizontal rule tool from Kitten's tutorial!! Yeeey! I like it, so kudos to Kitten for showing me that. I'll use it more often.

And with that, go out and create a nice snow storm! Byebye!

*YASO :lol:

Music go lala...
://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/mirror_reflect/sigsig1.jpg[/img]

Hee hee...

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
An interesting and nice to read tutorial.
Cute, too. ;D
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 86
Apricot bites? Waffo!
Hee. I see you laffing with my cute.

Music go lala...

Hee hee...

Rep:
Level 87
Nice tute.  Are you sure that snow is turned up to highest?  I've seen snow MUCH thicker than that.

Looking forward to seeing more tutes from you - you do much more than show how to use a tileset :)  Lots of important stuff that really helps set the mood.
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.

Rep:
Level 86
Apricot bites? Waffo!
Nice tute.  Are you sure that snow is turned up to highest?  I've seen snow MUCH thicker than that.

Positive! It's just my poor timing with the screen shot button  .  x'  I can't take good pictures of anything unless they have a pause button... (Thus why none of my photos of people have heads...)

Speeeeaking of moods, I'm in the mood to eat. -Skittered off for breakfasts-

Music go lala...

Hee hee...

Rep:
Level 87
Things we fear the most have already happened 2 us
sweet,,those r great!
"If u'r about to die,,then think of how good ur life has treated u up to this point.  On the
other hand,,if life hasn't treated u good up to this point,,then take joy in the fact that
it's not going to bother u for much longer."

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
MR. SNOWMAN!?

Great tutorial  :D

Rep:
Level 86
Thats good that I found this because i trying to get a scene that makes it look like a snow storm and you made it, thx, good tut.

btw how did you make the text window be the same width and height as the text?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 12:57:17 AM by elfyelf »

Rep:
Level 86
Apricot bites? Waffo!
btw how did you make the text window be the same width and height as the text?

That's done with a script.

Music go lala...

Hee hee...