RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RMRK Universe (Blog: http://arwym.com/rmrku)

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.

Introduction

Okay, this is an idea I had about four months ago.  I think I mentioned it in the IRC channel, but that was it.  I didn't give it any more thought.  But today, I have decided to give it a shot.

Recently, I tried to revive my own forums once more, apparently failing in the attempt.  Basically, the forums are dead, and there seems to be nothing I can do about it.  So I have decided to stay in the RMRK community and a few other forums I will frequent.  I really want to do something fun that the people will remember.  I want to do something special for the community.  This is when the thought of reviving this idea came to my mind.

Imagine a virtual place where everything revolves around the RMRK community...  Something very close to a real MMORPG experience, but where you are part of its creation.  Imagine a 2D game where you can connect with other RMRK members, chat, participate in events, hunt down random monsters, collect fun items, change your "sprite", and even have your own land and house.  Wouldn't that be fun?

And more...  Imagine a main "city" with buildings for every group (forum staff, RPG Maker fans, artists, etc.), a hall of fame, a library with lots of "books" written by the members, and even the possibility of marking your presence in that universe!  Again, you could even own land!

I say it would be fun, and more when the entire community can contribute with resources, skills and ideas.

I call this idea and potential project the "RMRK Universe", and OPEN 2D MMORPG created for a community, by the community.

Originally, I even thought about doing this for my own community, but since we were so small, and most members are currently inactive, it wouldn't have worked.

Consider this as something fun, done in our free time.  No serious storyline, just randomness and pure creativity.  :)

I have thought of the engine that we'd be using already, and finding a place where to host the server shouldn't be a problem.

Everyone is welcome to join.  Please give me your feedback, and tell me if you agree with the idea or not.  With enough people into the project, this could be really great!

To all of you who decide to support this idea and make it come true, thank you!

Support

You can support the RMRK Universe project by adding a userbar to your signature!  Here they are:

(Created by Skanker.  Thank you!)

Code: [Select]
[url=http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,22567.0.html][img]http://i4.tinypic.com/6xhumu9.png[/img][/url]

(Created by NAMKCOR.  Thank you!)

Code: [Select]
[url=http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,22567.0.html][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/psycho-mantis/RMRKUniverseUserBar.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 06:02:51 AM by Arwym Starlight »

Rep:
Level 87
Is it some kind of a virtual RMRK forum sim community? <--Can't find the right words to describe. The only way I can help is pointing out bugs in mappings and as such. I don't do civilized mappings (towns, castles)since I suck at them and I'm a very slow mapper at anywhere else. So I guess I can only be beta tester, if you want to that is....

Oh yeah, and free time? I have a few, but not that much. The clincher: I'll try to help whenever I can in whatever way. So...what about it?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Although this would.be totally awesome, I can't see it becoming a reality. Every rmrk project has failed, and I really can't see this being different.

I do wish you the best of luck though.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I wont agree with irock cause thats like telling a toad he cant catch a fly.
lol.
You can do it, and i love the idea. Anyway i can help, i will surely ^_^
Arlen is hot.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Do you mean to use an RM to make this, or VBGore, or other game engines?
If you're really dedicated to making it an manage to form an active team of experienced individuals, then It is possible to create that.

Although it wold be very laboreus.
I'll probably help if other people help, probably around the writing part or maybe a little spriting.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
I am using an MMO engine.  We can use RMXP tilesets.  This is no serious MMORPG, so it needs not to be original.  The sprites, if you want.  You can make the sprite you'll use in the game.  To those having little time but wanting to contribute, you can do so with ideas for items, places and such.  And general features, of course.

The game is not going to be so big and serious that you need a huge team.  With four people playing the role of GM's, it should suffice; at least in the beginning.  The engine I am going to use has very little amount of bugs because the developer is dedicated, so that won't be a big issue.

We could say it is a virtual RMRK sim, but that wouldn't be too correct, since you are going to be requesting if you want a house.  I am going to provide free lands/homes to those who contribute to the project in any way.  Those who do not, will pay with in-game money.  However, providing the sprite you will use is not considered a contribution.  Helping with resources, time, ideas and skills are.

What I really need right now is people supporting the project, and ideas.  Suggestions.  What do you want in the game?  What do you expect from it?  Things like that.  I can start with those.

Rep:
Level 87
Well, here is my suggestions. I would like to see weather in the game, like rain... Also, if possible, a day and night system + seasons? That would be cool.

Also, you could make a cherry blossom area for events/weddings. I basically just want a Cherry Blossom area. ;P

I would help with clothe/hair making for sprites... but I believe you are using the XP sprites, not the 2K sprites. So I can't help on that ;(

All in all, good luck with the project, I hope it goes well.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Well, here is my suggestions. I would like to see weather in the game, like rain... Also, if possible, a day and night system + seasons? That would be cool.

Also, you could make a cherry blossom area for events/weddings. I basically just want a Cherry Blossom area. ;P

I would help with clothe/hair making for sprites... but I believe you are using the XP sprites, not the 2K sprites. So I can't help on that ;(

All in all, good luck with the project, I hope it goes well.

Thanks for the ideas!  I will implement as many as I can.

Many areas will come.  Cherry blossom one, I will do my best!  I am thinking even of a "stick guy town", with pretty bad graphics made in MS Paint, LOL.  Just to give a laugh or two.

The weather system is already in.  The engine has it.

As for sprites, I think 'paperdoll' is gonna be added.  If not, you can have your own sprites and offer your own works if you want.  :)

Again, thank you!

Rep:
Level 87
If possible, depending on if the community likes it or not, If the sprites are 2K I could do a lot of clothes and hairs for them and we can add them in shops and such.

I would also like to see places like a coffee shop for the people who want a more "relaxing" environment. (I just love Coffee Shops for some reason >_>)

But to the sprites, it all depends on the rest of the community's thoughts. I could probably adapt to a new sprite base, just used to 2K style. (Used it since 2000 something, I have bad memory XP)

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Having tons of places to explore always makes an MMO good. I normally stop playing MMOs when everything begins to get too familiar.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
I am using an MMO engine.  We can use RMXP tilesets.  This is no serious MMORPG, so it needs not to be original.  The sprites, if you want.  You can make the sprite you'll use in the game.  To those having little time but wanting to contribute, you can do so with ideas for items, places and such.  And general features, of course.

The game is not going to be so big and serious that you need a huge team.  With four people playing the role of GM's, it should suffice; at least in the beginning.  The engine I am going to use has very little amount of bugs because the developer is dedicated, so that won't be a big issue.

We could say it is a virtual RMRK sim, but that wouldn't be too correct, since you are going to be requesting if you want a house.  I am going to provide free lands/homes to those who contribute to the project in any way.  Those who do not, will pay with in-game money.  However, providing the sprite you will use is not considered a contribution.  Helping with resources, time, ideas and skills are.

What I really need right now is people supporting the project, and ideas.  Suggestions.  What do you want in the game?  What do you expect from it?  Things like that.  I can start with those.
Ah, then I can probaby help with ideas and skills (does this means the real skills or in-game skills?)
Also, about the features....
Features in MapleStory always makes me wonder how great the game is.

Some mini-games would be nice.
Character Jobs.
Quests, lots.
Emoticons.
Odd Items.
Funny NPC's.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Since this is an idea for a small RMRK universe then I think the point isn't to make it the best MMO ever, instead, you should just make it enjoyable and look at it as an opportunity to stroll around with your friends. Don't set your goals too high, they might will backfire.

Yeah ignore what I said up there, I wish you the best of luck and I'm willing to help and dedicate myself to this 8)
:taco: :taco: :taco:

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
I was thinking of adding jobs, but not the regular jobs.  Rather, funny things that relate to RMRK or clichés of RPG's, because this started as an RPG Maker community.  Also, using the RM2k graphics seems to me like a better choice than RMXP.  To make things more consistent, I think I will consider 2k instead of XP, even for the tilesets.

Coffee shops, place to relax, even animé towns, I am doing all of that!  We could have towns with different themes, just for fun.  What I really want is that you get lots to explore with other fellow RMRK members.

Funny NPC's are included with the towns.  Quests, I am going to think about which would be good quests for a game like this.  Maybe ones to get the rare items of the game.  Some items will unlock what I'd call "costumes", or sprites.

Emoticons, I am going to make those possible, because I think they'll help in the communication department.  And this game is more about communication and interaction than anything else!

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
This sounds great! I will help if you ever need it.

Good luck on this!

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Anyone feeling like making a userbar to advertise in signatures?  I would do it, but this laptop doesn't have Photoshop.  :(  I'd appreciate it a lot.

Thanks a lot for all the support!  :D

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I'd definetally support this idea
sounds likeit would be a total blast to play, and I'd love to help

send me the specs of the program you're using, and if you're doing 2k sprite style, I can help with spriting
(I just can't to XP sprite style well)

and I don't think anyone has offered this yet, but I could write up some simple and complex quests for people to go through to get special items or something.

(lol, find add stop fadark from hacking his way back into town xD)

I wouldn't mind joining up for this project at all, sounds like it could go places.

aaaaand I took a shot at a userbar myself
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 05:48:50 PM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
WOW, GUYS!

So much support!  ;_;  I am so impressed, and happy!

I love the userbars!  Both!  I am going to format the thread a little and add those there for people to use.  This project is now official!

I am going to write some notes (after I get back) and send them to those really interested in helping.

Again, THANK YOU!

*HUGS*
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 06:49:14 PM by Arwym »

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
This sounds like an awesome idea. I just love it :)

I could help with what Im best on.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
This sounds like an awesome idea. I just love it :)

I could help with what Im best on.

Thank you!  There is always something to do.  I will try to add more info on that soon.  We'll eventually need some mappers, but first we must decide on what graphics we'll use.  I really appreciate your support. :D

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
WOW, GUYS!

So much support!  ;_;  I am so impressed, and happy!

I love the userbars!  Both!  I am going to format the thread a little and add those there for people to use.  This project is now official!

I am going to write some notes (after I get back) and send them to those really interested in helping.

Again, THANK YOU!

*HUGS*

no problem at all, this kind of thing needs dedicated support and that's something I'm glad to give ;)

just tell me where you need me

Rep:
Level 102
Well, seeing how you're very dedicated to this, I can really see some of this getting done, as long as you have a server to put it on, things might actually work out. I would be more than happy to help out.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I'm thinking the server might be the hardest thing to get/accomplish here

Rep:
Level 102
I'm thinking the server might be the hardest thing to get/accomplish here
Not if she's willing to pay. D:

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
The server can be hosted in my computer.  I have two computers, and I have actually been successful in setting up a server and making others connect to it.  So we could opt for that, or I could ask for someone to host it in a Virtual Private Server.  Lastly, if I conclude that I can handle paying one, then sure, I could have my own VPS and host the game there.  :)  A VPS is always the best choice, because I could keep the game online almost 100% of the time.