RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RMRK Universe (Blog: http://arwym.com/rmrku)

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
It is true that the engine has its limitations.  It is not open-source, after all.  The upload thing might not work unless we found a way to "connect" to another server/website.  The ideal thing would be that the uploads were hosted somewhere else.  Otherwise, it would happen exactly how Lominisio said.

The mounts would work but, there is an issue...  Having each sprite with every mount (even custom ones) would be pretty hard... maybe even impossible.  If we were talking about a custom engine, things would be different.  So in fact, I must admit, that some features are beyond my reach.  :(

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
No, you guys. Lol. Think about it. In a patch, they don't hand out just one thing. They add a bunch of things in. That way, when you have things ready, you put them in a patch and you can keep an announcements or something that announces what the near-future of RMRKU holds in store! :D

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Do you realize that there is currently no auto-patcher for this program?  :(  Every patch must be downloaded manually.  I am hoping that an auto-patcher will come with the next version of the engine, but I can't be sure.

Irock touched your custom title
Rep:
Level 89
The big deal with the patch problem is going to be a big problem. However, seeing as the game isn't even up and running yet it's best not to even thing about how to fix it yet. Once we get the game up and running and people are online, THEN we can add in a bunch of cool features like this one.

Oh, and I'll be a mapper/developer. ;D

EDIT: This is my personal opinion but I think we should use Elysium for a few reasons. One, it's open source so we could incorporate a lot of cusomization into it. Two, the newest version is practically bug free. And third, I'm quite familiar with it (:P) and it's quite easy to learn.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 02:12:35 AM by Lominisio »

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
The big deal with the patch problem is going to be a big problem. However, seeing as the game isn't even up and running yet it's best not to even thing about how to fix it yet. Once we get the game up and running and people are online, THEN we can add in a bunch of cool features like this one.

Oh, and I'll be a mapper/developer. ;D

EDIT: This is my personal opinion but I think we should use Elysium for a few reasons. One, it's open source so we could incorporate a lot of cusomization into it. Two, the newest version is practically bug free. And third, I'm quite familiar with it (:P) and it's quite easy to learn.

Elysium Diamond is not open-source.  Or at least that is what I have been told many times.  Mirage Source is the base for Elysium and other similar engines.  Elysium has less features than XtremeWorlds.  I would love to use Mirage Source instead, but I am just a beginner programmer.  This is programmed in VB6, and unless we have someone here who knows how to program well in that language, we better stick to one of these.  And currently, the best two engines of this sort that are actively in development are XtremeWorlds and X-Realms (but I have my doubts about the latter, since X-Realms 2.0 is in the works already).  I have tried all of these engines, and so far my best find has been XW.  I will consider options, though.  :)

EDIT:  Read this for more information.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 02:53:22 AM by Arwym »

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
(Sorry for the double post.)

The first poll has been added!

Please vote for your favorite choice of graphics to use in RMRK Universe.  The poll will close on the 21st.  If you choose "other", then please specify which graphics you would like to see as base for the game.

Please consider not only the looks, but also the variety and utility of these, as well as the amount of possible "customs" for them.  And don't forget about the sprites.  The game will look better if the graphics are consistent, although a few inconsistencies just for fun wouldn't be so bad...  :P

Thank you for supporting this project!

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
shhhh, don't tell anyone, 2k and 2k3 are the same shhhhh

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
shhhh, don't tell anyone, 2k and 2k3 are the same shhhhh

Also in sprites?  Sorry if that's so.  Because I really haven't compared them.  I am more familiar with XP.

Sorry if I am wrong.  I will remove the unnecessary option from that poll.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
This is Holk's long long post

It is indeed a nice idea and I've figured out the basics of how to get it working in my head. However, there is one major problem and I personally can't see a way around it. Each time someone uploads a new image, music file, etc., everyone who plays the game will have to download a patch to get the file installed onto their computer.

Couldn't it be possible to just make it like an in-game-engine web browser? Like, have the "registries" link to a private web space where the user can browse through the available files?

Rep:
Level 89
A web browser in the engine itself? That'd be possible. I don't think you could do it with scripts though. You'd have to have access to the source itself. I know a little bit in VBASIC but not enough to do that. I'm currently taking a class in it at school so I'm learning more. :)

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Ok, so then maybe the "registries" should be in-game computer terminals. Then you boot it up, and the in-game browser pops up, limiting you to the specific class' archives, sorted by rank, author, and title!

Maybe?

Rep:
Level 89
I can see how it would work and all. Example: Terminal one would bring you to a portion of the website that shows err... music examples and nothing else. There is no address bar so you can't go anywhere out of that specific page. The next terminal would open up a similar but different page for uh... graphics. So on and so forth. This way the graphics and music and whatever else you have isn't stored in the game but online. Basically in the same format as when you browse for ftp files on sites.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
"Other Graphics"

GaryGill graphics ;-;
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
It is possible to launch a browser window to a specific address from the client.  I don't think it's hard.  I will see if Bradyok (the person behind Xtreme Worlds) can help me with that.  It is possible that he adds a special command for this if I request it.  We could have a special website for browsing the files, which would be a good way of achieving this.

If we can have an in-game browser, that'd be much better.  Who knows, maybe we end up using Mirage Source or something else. 

I just tell you, I want to make Holkeye's idea possible.

Rep:
Level 94
I think we may just have a possibility here. A Massive Multiplayer Online Game For Role-Playing Game Makers.

An MMOGFRPGM?

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
RMRK Universe has to be released!  I am not letting this one die.  :D  I am serious.

Rep:
Level 86
~~~
If there is anything I can help with, I would be surely interested. I have managed a itsy-bitsy Ragnarok Online server if that experience might help.
The Pessimist By The Lake In The Forest

Check Out Savarast's Resource Page, I do Requests

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
I can collect sprites. :lol:
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Thanks, guys!  It seems like XP is currently winning over 2k3.  So if you are against that, put your vote, or you will have to accept the other ones.

I know of a few sites with really good customized XP tilesets.  And I can create sprites that resemble XP ones easily.  I created a spriteset base (the naked sprites), one for male and one for female, modeled after the actual RMXP sprites.  So if XP wins, we are fine.  But then again, 2k3 is still quite popular, I have noticed.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 10:30:50 AM by Arwym »

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
I am about to test another engine.  I have 'heard' good things about it and there is an open source version.  So who knows, maybe this is the one.  ;)

Rep:
Level 89
Hey all. It took me a little while but I did manage to make a web browser in Visual Basic and that's a real big achievement for me. If anyone wants to see it I've uploaded it.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
:O That's pretty awesome. Are you supposed to use Visual Basic for Web Browsers? If so, where do you learn it? XD

Rep:
Level 89
You can use probably any language to make a web browser. I dunno though. I'm learning Visual Basic in school and through experimenting I figured out how to make a web browser. If you read the posts on this page between Holkeye and myself, you'll understand why I was trying to make one in Visual Basic. :)

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox

Pretty interesting.

*gives award for making a better browser than IE*

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah