RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Event Lag

Rep:
Level 86
~~~
Hypothetically, if I were to put common map elements (pots, plants, ect) onto a sheet to be used as "events", would many of these "events'" lag my maps? Now, the thing is these events will have no actions, no response to the character. The only reason I want to have these items as events is because I have map elements I want to use with many different maps, even those that do not traditionally have the images I want (I.E hangin sword on the wall in a cave map).
The Pessimist By The Lake In The Forest

Check Out Savarast's Resource Page, I do Requests

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
They shouldn't lag you.... If they're set to action, I think.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
isn't this a help topic?
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Any events causes lag, but only huge events on a low-spec PC makes a significant lag (like mine T_T)
If you put only object events, like yours; it causes lag but only when you use lots and lots of events.

Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 86
~~~
Hmm, thank you, good to know.

btw, can someone then answer me why some people suggest putting map elements as events?

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I can't answer that question, but if you are looking for an Anti-lag system, zeriab's is the most AWESOME!
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Yup!
And about your question, it adds more depth and makes it more natural.
Also, it adds interactive objects.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 86
~~~
Well, well! So whats this anti-lag script we are talking about here? because if I plan on using events to load map elements,anti-lag would be a good thing.

Rep:
Level 87
go to scripts, search for anti-lag.  Hard to miss.

putting map elements as events not only means you can interact with them (look - I picked a pretty flower - now it's not there anymore), but it also gives you a 4th layer to use if 3 layers just aren't enough to make your map look right.
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
About 100 events will make the game lag

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Here's a link to the topic: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,20695.0.html ;)

Using events for map elements will without the antilag script give a significant increase in lag.
1 or 2 will not make your map lag, but it might already start with 50-60 events. This is assuming you don't have other events running. (For NPC and so on)

If you are using my version not only will they run better by default. You will also have an option to make the map elements give less lag.
Search for NEVER_UPDATE_NAME_PATTERNS in the script.
The line that in the default script is NEVER_UPDATE_NAME_PATTERNS = [] #['EV202',/EV3.5/]
In here you can specify patterns in event names. I this can sound a little confusing, so here is an example. Change that line to this:
NEVER_UPDATE_NAME_PATTERNS = ['[MAP]']
Now any event that has [MAP] in their name will not be updated. Their sprite will still be shown, but they will not be updated.
The reason I have added this functionality is indeed to accommodate for map elements. Note that if you have an animate map element it will not be animated anymore ;)

It will actually still make the game slower, but it is only if you have filled the screen with map elements that you might notice any difference. This is due to the fact that just showing the sprite of the event is a bit slow. I mean in the case that every tile you can see is an event. In that case you might notice some lag.

*hugs*
 - Zeriab